TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Looking To Spend 40K On A Used Gt500Kr ( 2008 )

Jewish Santa

Yeah, I think parts of this conversation keep coming back up and will keep coming up: KR's collectibility, potential increase in value, and driving the cars for enjoyment. I agree with many of the points that many of you are making and I try to blend all of these things.

Mostly, though, I bought my KR because I love the look of it and I love driving it. I also would buy a hood at the right price and hang it on the wall for art. I'm not happy with the parts sell off but I live with it and enjoy what I have. And, as much as it would be neat to have a car with super low miles on it as an investment, I'd rather get on the road on a spring/summer/autumn day with my kids and take a nice drive in something that is still very special to me. I'm glad some of you out there do have low mile pristine cars because I love looking at yours as well!

...Can't afford a museum so my 1:1 sits ready for a road trip in the spring and my 1:18th scale models will have to suffice for the low-mileage, mint condition cars.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also would buy a hood at the right price and hang it on the wall for art.

Whether it's to have a "just-in-case" extra or wall art (or both), KR owners are not going to spend $4,675 + finishing + shipping for an extra or wall art. So SAI is going to keep looking at that stack of hoods until they decide to do something different.

IMO, $3,000 turn-key, finished, and shipped is the price ceiling, and you might even see a few ballers take 2. But the point is to sell all 100, and to sell them only to KR owners. It's good for KR owners, and good business for SAI because that's what they said they would do (maintain exclusivity). Although $3,000 is a slight loss to them, it's a lot better than wholesaling them and a write-down, or also continuing to pay annual inventory on it.

Additionally, there is absolutely no reason that they can't reach out directly to KR owners to make this happen since they have all the owner info in the registry. We volunteered our personal info to them because we have a vested interest in this specific car. Put the registry to good use and do what KR owners would want...which is to reach out to them on something so important.

This could have and should have been done with the KR wheels at Ford Racing, but I would cut them some serious slack if they do it the right way with the hoods.

This thread has really brought out the passion of my fellow owners about this car, great discussion. The 2008-2009 GT500KR may no longer be the latest hot ticket, but it's not diminished in my eyes for what it is at all. I impatiently waited out the hype until Nov, 2012, and was able to pick up a great used KR from Keeter Ford in Shelby, NC at a reasonable price. It still puts a smile on my face today, every time I walk by it or take it out for a short weekend drive around town. post-35790-0-84934500-1392478178_thumb.jpg

JDB, I agree that $3k is probably the price to pay for a "turnkey" hood. I'd buy it at the price and keep it as wall art until I needed it (I do like the pre-painted, pre-striped option). Can't imagine them ever doing that for our community though. Would be nice, would be the right thing to do to maintain the exclusivity originally sold to us but in the end the easy road and the dollar will probably win out. Your idea would take extra effort that I'm not sure any bean counter would estimate to be worth it. Still, I support the idea and steps like that would keep me coming back to Shelby to spend more hard earned money.

Conversely, 90 cents on the dollar for a 6 year old part that nobody is buying is pretty damn good, IMO. Their choice is to keep looking at a stack of parts that isn't selling, or convert it today to $300,000. Hmmm

Although $3,000 is a slight loss to them, it's a lot better than wholesaling them and a write-down,.....

Didn't they pay around $3,500 per car for all the carbon fiber parts? Yes $3,000 may be a loss if you include the paint, stripes and their overhead.

I would pay $3,000 tomorrow for a turn key hood.

It still puts a smile on my face today, every time I walk by it or take it out for a short weekend drive around town. attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I started mine twice today. :)

sheppd01- so did I. If it was raining so hard, I would have backed it out of it's cocoon. I ran mine for about 10 minutes each time. Can't wait to put the new shoes on and go driven! Did you ever get the color code of the stripes?

sheppd01- so did I. If it was raining so hard, I would have backed it out of it's cocoon. I ran mine for about 10 minutes each time. Can't wait to put the new shoes on and go driven! Did you ever get the color code of the stripes?

Nope.

I am painting my helmet right now. Just took a guess at the stripe paint code I will post pics when it is all done.

I am waiting for the silver to show up. They sent me vapor silver instead of the brilliant silver. :(

For anyone interested, there is an '08 KR at Streetside Classics:

http://www.streetsideclassics.com/showcar.php/dfw/486/2008-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT500-KR

I'm going to look at this car at some point this week and happy to inquire about the KR if anyone needs me to:

http://www.streetsideclassics.com/showcar.php/cha/2400/1965-Ford-Mustang-GT350-Tribute

FYI- A EBAY auction ended tonight for a Vista Blue , no stripe or hood locks, OEM KR hood. The bid got to $5450 and did not meet reserve.

Got a link or eBay #? I don't see it anywhere. I see one that only got bids up to $1825 reserve not met, and one in December that sold for $1995 with only 2 bids.

I know that in late 2011 SAI held a sale on all the KR parts. They sent a flyer to all registered KR owners. The hoods were $4675 and were prepped for paint.

"Prepped for paint" basically means "nothing done to it".

Shelby needs to add value to these to make them sell...especially if selling 100 of them.

Found it. Not sure why the completed listings search didn't return that result.

So 12 bids reserve not met at $5450, but now it's up for sale with a BIN of $5400? So not only did his winning bidder at $5450 back out but so did his backup bidder at $5350? Looks like shill bidding from the seller at its finest.

Next bidder after that is $2,000 which sound about right.

This is an interesting thread and I believe contains a lot of good information and various opinions that all make sense when taken in the context of the owner of the car. Everyone has their reasons for owning what they own. I have 2 '06 Hertz GTHs, a 2008 KR, and a 2014 GT500. I had a 2008 GT500 and sold it when I bought the KR. The KR is just SPECIAL. I don't know any other way to put it. I love the 2014 but if I had to choose between it and the KR I take the KR. I love the Horsepower of the 2014 and the refinement of the car and would pick it as a daily driver over the KR but the KR is just spot on IMHO.

The other thing I was going to mention is Shelby did try to do the right thing and sell parts to the KR owners. I bought a set of 4 wheels with tires, another set of hood latches, a front splitter which I think was $1,500 another set of center caps, and some few odds and ends. I thought the prices were a little high but I wanted the wheels if someone ran me off the road and of course we all know why you would want a spare splitter. At the time they made it sound like this was it.......buy now or its gone forever so I bought what I thought I could possibly need somewhere down the road. I didn't spring for the hood.......just didn't know what to do with it and thought it may get damaged just laying around for years and years. My intention is NOT TO WRECK THE CAR ! lol.

I think in the end the KR will be the car to hang on to. Probably the 2011 GT350s will also be wanted in the future. I have not driven the GT 350 so I can't comment on how it feels to drive but for those of us/you that have a KR or driven one they are just SPECIAL. That's just my 2 cents on the car for what it is worth for those of you still looking for a KR. I've even considered buying another one and selling the 2014 GT 500 but will see what turns up.

MY BEST, SVT

And another one at a low price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT500KR-Coupe-2-Door-2009-Shelby-GT500-KR-Mustang-Ford-/231168241929?forcerrptr=true&hash=item35d2b37109&item=231168241929&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

I'm curious how quickly the guys requesting more than 50k for their used KRs will accept reality.

Not sure if that is the reality or an aberration. It's clearly not the norm. That surely is a VERY low price for a KR. Maybe its the color. Maybe its desperate seller. Clearly,if its not a salvage title car the buyer got a hell of a buy!

Fact is IF that is the reality for KR sales right now, there is no way I would ever sell my KR for that number. Not happening. I'll keep it and enjoy it. I'd even give to my son first before selling it for that number.

Those selling KRs for those numbers are either desperate or seriously undervaluing what they have. You want to sell your KR for that price, go ahead be my guest. It's your car. I'm asking $59,900.00. If I don't get that price I'm more than thrilled to keep her. I know what I have. If others want to under sell and throw their KR under the bus ..by all means, its their car.

Not sure if that is the reality or an aberration. It's clearly not the norm. That surely is a VERY low price for a KR. Maybe its the color. Maybe its desperate seller. Clearly,if its not a salvage title car the buyer got a hell of a buy!...

The buyer may or not have gotten a hell of a deal; depends on what was still owed to Ford Credit! Did anyone else read:

"The title is original and clear but held by Ford Credit until paid in full. The sell is final and it is the responsibility of the buyer to come inspect the car or have a representative look at it on your behalf prior to purchasing."

Looks to me as if the car wasn't paid off by the seller before he put it on eBay, or maybe I'm reading that wrong...

I don't see how the seller is desperate. Maybe he wants a newer Mustang, found the exact one he's wanted, got a great price from the seller, and getting cash and making room in the garage is the only thing holding him up. At $43k he's only a couple thousand below the number that people start getting picky and factor things such as cost to go get the car. If he feels he made up the difference with a good price on the car he's buying, then he got exactly what he was looking for: a fast sale. But like it or not, KR prices are trending downward.

What surprises me more is the resale prices for plain-jane GT500's. They are more common and less exciting, but I see selling prices that are proportionally higher to their original selling prices. This goes back to my statement about the hood fiasco and that a lot of people were turned off at the prospect of dealing with Shelby for replacement parts, and at prices that were not even on this planet. Owning a KR just isn't worth the hassle to the majority of the people out there. Most people just want a fun car to drive that's sportier than the base model, that costs less money, and at the same time they can brag about owning a GT500 to most common folk who have the perception of it being the top version.

Well if they are trending downward (I still see a number being advertised for $50k+ and one low mileage for $75K) that's fine by me. Everything goes in cycles. KRs were once selling for over $100K. I still think the prices on KRs will rise substantially again in the future but it doesn't matter to me since I love mine and would never sell it for $43,000.00 or anything remotely close to that. I'd rather keep it and enjoy it.

What I don't comprehend is how the Supersnake prices seem to stay where they are when (a) it's an aftermarket post sale modified car (b) they continue to pump them out (b) the only main difference form the KR is the Bling 20" wheels and massive blower (c ) The construction and fit and finish is clearly below the pre-title KR which involved Ford SVT in it's development (d) the KR is no longer produced and limited to only 1600 examples.

When car collectors and the public wake up and stop drinking the SS Koolaide and realize that the KR is a truly special Mustang more so than the Supersnakes with their fiberglass hoods and bling 20" wheels and massive blowers the KR will be seen as the Shelby Mustang to have. My two cents.

Also, I didn't say the seller of the black KR was desperate. I said he may have been desperate to sell at such a low price.

Most Super Snakes have unrealistic BIN's that people aren't paying either. It doesn't matter what people are asking for their cars, it matters what they are actually selling for.

Go do a search for "super snake" above $40,000 and "completed listings". Now do the same search for "sold listings" and you will see zero Super Snakes that actually sold.

I saw only one deal on a Super Snake in 2013, which was an 07 grabber and even it was on eBay for a month or two before it sold. I want to say it started out around $53k and sold for mid-40's (low mileage too). And if it wasn't for the sub-par fit and finish that you are describing...I probably would have bought it myself. And you're right, they aren't anywhere near as polished at the KR, and I've always hated the dash cluster and rear window covers too...not to mention a virtually useless non-functioning hood.

Once you own a KR, I honestly don't know why you'd want to own any other Mustang. The Boss might be my only consideration at this point, but I wouldn't trade it for the KR. I don't care about values because mine's not going anywhere.

JDB: Agreed. I also just bought a Boss 2012 in competition orange. 2400 miles. Love the Boss but Couldn't bring myself to sell the KR for it. The Boss is slated for the track. Already have my Koni Yellows, H&R race springs, caster camber plates, Ferodo pads and FRPP brake racing ducts, Steeda gear box bushing, Griggs adjustable pan hard bar, Corbo harness bar ready for install. Bertil Roos 5 day race school in May.

Boss is a different tool intended for a different job.

Archived