TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1St And Reverse

motormouth

I have a 2012 that I have owned for 2.5 years. About a month ago I started to have trouble going into reverse and 1st after car had been sitting. Once it warms up seems to shift easier. This is the 3rd winter I have owned the car and did not have this problem in the past. Anyone else experience this and for the people who have had gear grind (1st to 2nd) did you also have this problem? Car is at dealership now to see if they can figure out, but not holding my breath!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry hear about this... With an 12 very surprised.. Actually what you described is what my 08 did.. Eventually could not get into any gear without turning the car off... The dealership replaced clutch to 10 model and rebuilt trans.... But a 12 ??????

I have a 2012 that I have owned for 2.5 years. About a month ago I started to have trouble going into reverse and 1st after car had been sitting. Once it warms up seems to shift easier. This is the 3rd winter I have owned the car and did not have this problem in the past. Anyone else experience this and for the people who have had gear grind (1st to 2nd) did you also have this problem? Car is at dealership now to see if they can figure out, but not holding my breath!

How many miles on the car? Do you drive it hard or easy? My 2012 has been flawless since new. Not a single issue of any kind.

I had a similar problem with my 2011. I bought the car 3 months ago with 17000 miles, once I was able to start getting into the boost I noticed the clutch was slipping and was giving off a burning smell. The car would actually reject 2nd gear from time to time, and I could feel the shifter get pushed back out of gear as i would let the clutch out even at very slow speed, and had the 1-2 grind. The dealership replaced the clutch for free and it is way better than was before, but I still get the 1-2 grind from time to time, ususally when the car is cold. When they replaced my clutch I was hoping they would replace blockers, synchos, etc...but they said wasnt necessary at this time. I had to double clutch to get the car to go into reverse or first every here and there before the clutch was replaced and has been fine since.

Will be interested to hear what happens with yours because they said they put a 2012-13 clutch in my car...

Good luck,

Matt

The 1 to 2 grind is an attribute of the transmission. All will do it if driven "sharply" it takes a mile or so to warm up the transmission fluid and it's OK. Almost all high performance cars do it. My gt with a transaxle does it too. Check out the discussion about on the ferrari forum

That indicates your clutch is dragging.

If you hold the clutch in for a really long time before trying to put it in gear, will it go in gear then?

Easy way to tell if it's clutch or trans is shut the car off. If it slips right into get (MOST of the time), it's a dragging clutch. Could be a failing pressure plate, could be a sticking pilot bearing/bushing.

Phill

Archived