TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clutching Working Normal?

CMichaels

not to long ago, picked up a 07 GT500 with about 18000 miles. This is my 1st GT500. Is it normal for the clutch to be somewhat heavy/tight? Also when I am going from a complete stop and pulling out in 1st, I get a chatter of some sort. Is there an issue with the clutch or am I just not use to the clutch yet?

not to long ago, picked up a 07 GT500 with about 18000 miles. This is my 1st GT500. Is it normal for the clutch to be somewhat heavy/tight? Also when I am going from a complete stop and pulling out in 1st, I get a chatter of some sort. Is there an issue with the clutch or am I just not use to the clutch yet?

If it's the stock clutch , that's normal. Spend some time in the Clutch/transmission section of the GT500 forum and read all the clutch woes on our car. Some cars do OK with the stock clutch setup for quite a few miles some need replacement rather soon. As far as that shudder goes, the stock clutch will do that real bad if you not quick and smooth on clutch engagement whe you get rolling. If you ride the clutch out at all going into first it'll shudder like that........at least mine does.

I kinda wish I made mental notes when I test drove 3 others GT500s, but I test the others months apart, and I don't remember how the other cars acted

if it is normal, guess just got to get use to the clutch, or do yall think I should have a local dealer check it out?

I had the shudder in my car and was completely frustrated as I have driven manual transmission cars for almost 30 years. After a while I managed to get the hang of it, but from time to time it was still an issue. Then I got rid of the stock drive shaft. Shudder eliminated. Hasn't done it once since I went to a 1 piece shaft. Food for thought.....

Guessing there is an adjustment of some kind as my clutch is light. Nothing like the one I had in my 83' GT.

No adjustment......it's hydraulic. It just depends on what you're used to. A lot of people think the stock GT500 clutch is excessively heavy......I don't think it is, but if you're used to driving something lighter I guess it would feel that way to you :shrug:

If you really don't like it, put a McLeod RXT twin disc in.

After a small break in period, the clutch is very smooth and precise.

Plus it will handle up 1000 HP,,,,,,,for the mod bug that will hit you.

Did the car come with the GT500 owner's manual supplement? It explains the clutch.

Archived