TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Miller Motorsports Park - Who Has Gone, Or Wants To Go?

Z-man

For Christmas my awesome wife gave my a certificate for two days of driving school at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah (yeah, Mrs. Z is a keeper!) :yahoo::love_shower::shift:

Has anyone taken this class, and if so, what words of advice can you offer?

Day one seems to include some classroom time, driving the skid car as well as the skid pad, work on heel\toe downshifting, and knowing the best line through a corner. There is some follow the leader driving, in car instructions, and then (assuming you pass muster), you can solo. Late in the day they even allow passing on the straight areas of the track.

Day two included more work on whatever the individual driver wants to practice, more detailed in-car instruction, and a whole lot of open track driving. I think the guy told me at least four afternoon sessions about a half hour long each.

We will be driving track prepared Mustang GT's on day one, with an option ($550) to upgrade to an actual FRS500 on day two.

I'm not concerned with being the fastest guy out there...in fact, I'd be glad to start at the back of the pack. I want to work on my technique, smoothness, corner entrance/apex/exit, and build confidence at speed. Based on speed not being my main goal, do you feel the upgrade to the FRS500 is warrented for my objectives?

I definately don't want to be 'that guy' who stuffs a car into the guardrail (althought the run off areas look pretty open, with maybe just a stray lizzard or cactus). They do offer track insurance just in case.

They include everything except driving shoes.

I'm heading out the end of June. Anyone want to join me? Another Team Shelby member (or two) to hang with and do some additional 'bench racing' would make the experiance even better.

http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/schools.html

Z-man

I responded to your PM. I did Bondurant twice and had not been flooded (and allowed to exit but not return the weekend of the Shelby American Collection party) would have done it again in the spring. If decide not to retire and find a job before the next one, I'll absolutely sign up for their two day Circuit of the Americas class.

One of the Ford GT rallys was at Miller. People liked the track. It seems to be a toss up between Miller and the Parumph track as to which is better for a gathering.

As for a class, people seem to like the Miller track because in the advanced classes you can get to the CobraJet Mustangs (full out track cars).

Note: I do Bondurant because I like Phoenix and use the class as a reason to visit friends and relatives.

Here's what I do at Bondurant. I'm betting you can do the same strategy at Miller.

First, you have to do the basic class. I got the "Z06 Experience" which is a pretty wussy class at the auction. I used that to upgrade to the 3 day class - 2 days in Corvettes, one with the little rocket Formula Mazda - miniature formula cars and they are really fun! At the end of this you get a SCCA card (if you want to submit the paperwork). Doing that class gets you to the advanced set of classes. There were only two of us and we had an instructor that was bored, there were two of us and he worked on us to improve our lap times which we did!

Bondurant does track insurance. It's chump change. But if you wreck one of their cars its on your nickel. The deductible was high (I think $6K). I get it but with fewer people on the track (as in the advanced classes) it's diminished value. But for $300 it's probably worth it.

The time you are talking about is a good time in Salt Lake.

One thing that the advanced classes at Bondurant will do is let you drive your own car. I had planned on bringing the GT down but the weather didn't cooperate. Advanced classes are lots smaller so the risk is a lot less lower of someone interfering. At my class last spring I was the only one until the day before the class. I was going to switch to the Formula car but the other guy made us stick with the Corvettes.

I didn't use driving shoes. My sneakers worked great. One guy in our first class drove barefoot. He was already a dirt track driver (and ranked) so they let him.

Enjoy the class!!!!

I love the Miller track and the experience I had with Boss Track Attack in July, 2012. I also purchased a second day of instruction and chose the FR500S. It was awesome ---- from the staff, to the driving, track time, class time, vehicles, etc. I was a newbie and also purchased the track insurance --- just in case. Nobody in our classes ever hit the gravel or had a bad experience. The FR500S was a true experience....

You can drive at your own pace and what you feel comfortable doing(although the instructors want to see and WANT YOU to experience improvement using a methodology of taking in the elements of class time, then take what you learned in class and apply it to the track, and build upon it each time you go out). Always great to go with someone you know but you will make new friends by default. I did not know anyone, however, by the time classes were over, everybody knew everybody and it was like a band of brothers..

Track is at elevation of 4500 so be prepared to keep hydrated ----- all we seemed to do was drink water, drink more water, get rid of water, and keep hyrdated ---- which was critical.

I stayed in Tooele(pronounced TOO-WILL-A) which was just a few miles from the track. Staying in Tooele was just right for me but I've read where others recommend to stay elsewhere ------ more choices for dining, etc...

You got a great XMAS present.......awesome wife you have there...

Z-man

I will say that Millers Motorsports Park is one track I'd like to experience ( it's on the bucket list ). What dates in June are you going ? Is Mrs. Z going to participate in the festivities or is she just helping you up your game? ;)

Driving classes are like religion. Bob is a major sponsor of the Shelby American Collection museum in Boulder so I bid on his class (a very good deal) and use the auction one to upgrade to something better. That aside, I was invited to the Bondurant class at the Circuit of the Americas F1 track in Austin. I was going to go but then we (1) had a flood and I couldn't leave town and get back and (2) I quit my job. If (1) I get a new job instead of retiring (the class was $10K) and (2) they have another repeat I will do the COTA class. That track is everyone's dream and 2 days on it is an a major experience. The Bondurant COTA class was advanced advanced, but this year they wouldn't let people drive their own cars (in the Chandler track you can if the mix allows). They said maybe next year for the last half of the 2nd day people might be allowed to do so.

I responded to your PM.

People liked the track. It seems to be a toss up between Miller and the Parumph track as to which is better for a gathering.

Bondurant does track insurance. It's chump change. But if you wreck one of their cars its on your nickel. The deductible was high (I think $6K). I get it but with fewer people on the track (as in the advanced classes) it's diminished value. But for $300 it's probably worth it.

The time you are talking about is a good time in Salt Lake.

One thing that the advanced classes at Bondurant will do is let you drive your own car.

I didn't use driving shoes. My sneakers worked great. One guy in our first class drove barefoot. He was already a dirt track driver (and ranked) so they let him.

Enjoy the class!!!!

twobjshelbys -

I did receive your PM, and I have read it several times. I value yout input (thanks!). I started this thread to see if there were any other folks who took the class, who I was unaware of, who also might have an experiance or comment to share.

I have been at Parumph (for the 50th Bash), and thought that facility was FANTASTIC. A true country club feel, but with a track instead of a golf course. Mrs. Z sat in a jigh-backed leather chair, next to a fire pit, and watched the cars go by a full acceleration...about 15 feet away from the track (how cool is that!). I got to drive that track, in a rather 'sprited' parade lap, and Mrs. Z also took a lap or two, It was the first time she ever drove on a track, although she has been a passenger a few times before.

I will definately be taking the insurance. Its about $150/day, witha $5K deductible. Still costs you a lot of money if you really damage the car severly, but at least you are covered to some extent.

What is going on in Salt Lake at that time of year? I think we will be close to the Salt Flats, and I would like to see them, but I don't think ther eis any event going on at the end of June.

For the class I'm looking at, you can't use your own car. I will be flying in for this anyway, so my car will not be there with me.

I have an old worn out pair of high top sneakers that I use to drive. The soles are so thin, I can stand on a quarter and tell you if it's heads or tails. there are even a couple small holes in the leather, but that just adds to their 'character'.

I will definately enjoy the class.

Z-man

I will say that Millers Motorsports Park is one track I'd like to experience ( it's on the bucket list ). What dates in June are you going ? Is Mrs. Z going to participate in the festivities or is she just helping you up your game? ;)

Albino500 -

The dates I'm looking at are June 26th and 27th. That's a Thursday and a Friday. Class goes from about 8:00 to 4:00 each day. Mrs. Z will be there with me as well as the Z-kids. It will be a whole family vacation, with the driving school just being part of it.

For day one, I will probably come to the track by myself, and the family will explore Salt Lake City. One day 2, the plan is for them to come to the track after lunch and hang out for a while. Mrs. Z won't be driving, but I'm going to see if I can get her a ride with one of the instructors, as I know she will like that. If the class was a little less costly, I'm sure she would have signed herself up too. We have done some carting together, as well as a BMW driving event, and she is VERY competitive...and she's good.

I love the Miller track and the experience I had with Boss Track Attack in July, 2012. I also purchased a second day of instruction and chose the FR500S. The FR500S was a true experience....

I was a newbie and also purchased the track insurance --- just in case. Nobody in our classes ever hit the gravel or had a bad experience.

You can drive at your own pace and what you feel comfortable doing(although the instructors want to see and WANT YOU to experience improvement using a methodology of taking in the elements of class time, then take what you learned in class and apply it to the track, and build upon it each time you go out).

Always great to go with someone you know but you will make new friends by default. I did not know anyone, however, by the time classes were over, everybody knew everybody and it was like a band of brothers..

Track is at elevation of 4500 so be prepared to keep hydrated ----- all we seemed to do was drink water, drink more water, get rid of water, and keep hyrdated ---- which was critical.

I stayed in Tooele(pronounced TOO-WILL-A) which was just a few miles from the track. Staying in Tooele was just right for me but I've read where others recommend to stay elsewhere ------ more choices for dining, etc...

You got a great XMAS present.......awesome wife you have there...

stewarbc -

Glad to hear you had a great time at the Boss Track Attack. I know someone from work who did that last year as well, and he raved about it too. I spoke to MMP over the phone and asked them how the Boss Trak Attack and the 2-day school compare. I was told the Track Attack is based on the driving school program, but is a little more social and relaxed. He said there are even more elements to the full class, and the instructors push the studends harder. We won't get the 'welcome dinner' the night before class begins, but he said those dollars (that the dinner would cost) are spent on more track time and instruction.

It also sound like you feel the FRS500 upgrade is worth it. Would you have been just as happy in a Mustang GT for your second day?

As mentioned, I will be taking the insurance. Although I have done a little 'driving' in the past, I'm not overstating my experiance or skill, and would classify myself a newbie as well, for the purposes of this class.

Reguardless of how hard the instructors want to push me, I just need to drive within my capabilities. The problem is, I don't know where the edge of my envolupe is utill I exceed it.....which I don't want to do while driving at 100+ mph.

Maybe I'll get lucky and another Team Shelby member will join me, but like you said, I'm sure I'll make friends fast once tI'm there.

The school already told me that drinking enought water will be a larger challange than I think. You are at a higher elevation, it may be 100 degress on the track in June, and you will be working harer than you think at driving as well. THey push water on you at every break in the action. They said If I don't drink enough, I'll gett a bad headache first, then could become dehydrated. Drink, drink, drink.

When I say "Tooele" spelled out,I thought it was pronounced Tool-E, but I have since learned it is as you stated (Two-will-a). If you mis-pronounce the name of the town, everyone knows you aren't a local.

....and "Yes" , I do have an awesome wife.

Z-man

For time planning let me tell you that at the end of the day you will be exhausted. In the first class there was a little down time for classroom stuff. But in the advanced class we had solid track time from 8:30 to noon and 1 to 4. At the end of the first afternoon session I felt like someone had beaten me with a 2x4 all afternoon. If you're not used to it the extra weight of the helmet on your head and the whipping you take going around turns will tire you out. The other thing is that while SLC might not get the heat that Phoenix does, it is dry as a bone and you will get dehydrated. It's important to take a break and drink water. I thought I'd had enough and on the morning of the second day started to get a headache (I recognize the symptoms) took a pit stop and downed two bottles of water.

Miller is supposed to be an awesome experience and on the bucket list along with a few other tracks as well. I did the school at Barber in the Porsche's and it was absolutely wonderful. Your wife is a gem for coming up with this gift for you. ENJOY!

It also sound like you feel the FRS500 upgrade is worth it. Would you have been just as happy in a Mustang GT for your second day?

I do feel the upgrade was worth it. Also, I believe I would have been just as happy in the Mustang GT for the second day, however, being in a purpose built FR500S was too good to pass up. I agree on the Boss Track attack social stuff, however, they still pushed us and I felt whipped at the end of the first day. They pushed us hard on the second day too with lots of track time. That's what I loved ------ 20 minutes of class time, then put your knowledge to the test. So, get a good breakfast, drink water, drink more water, eat bananas, drink more water, drink more water.

Also, don't worry about your limits ----- you will find them quickly. Just build upon and build upon. Soon, you'll be flying down the straight-away and braking perfectly, taking the turns and "gas gas gassing" out of the turns accordingly, and practicing all the cool stuff they teach you......

The instructors know what they are doing ---- I was so impressed with them....and wait until you do a ride-along with them.....and they do a ride-along with you......

You will be impressed and learn alot. Take full advantage of all ride-alongs......

I will second what has been said earlier about the Miller Motorsport Driving School. I did the BTA courtesy of Ford and the second day in the FR500S. I was a blast. Staff is excellent. Most if not all of the instructors are still active race car driver guns for hire. I did the early June class and it was a little warm. A GoPro is a must. The museum at the Motorsport Park is also pretty cool. For the BTA the welcome dinner is in the museum. How cool is that? Larry Miller was a huge Shelby collector and the family continues to add to the collection.

• 3 weeks later...

I did the BTA in Aug. of 2012, what a blast. A lot of the early sessions are lead and follow with the pro in the lead car and 3 cars following learning the lines. I think you spend to much time trying to take everything in that you don't learn the coarse. Before you go do a little research on the track and learn the layout which will help you out once your on the track. You Tube has some good videos from the BTA, try Miller motorsports boss track attack.

• 4 months later...

Well, I just stated packing.....my class is next Thursday and Friday! I'm excited and anxious at the same time.

Gonna take it smooth and easy until I feel comfortable and confident. Definitely don't want to be "that guy".

Wish me luck as I try to hit my braking points and nail the apex'es.

Z-man

Hey Bill (Z),

I'll be thinking about you next week! I'm heading to Miller MSP in the beginning of October for the 3-day course... Definitely will want to get together before then and review your GoPro video and get some pointers!

Be safe and have fun!!!

Anton (Cougster)

Well, I just stated packing.....my class is next Thursday and Friday! I'm excited and anxious at the same time.

Gonna take it smooth and easy until I feel comfortable and confident. Definitely don't want to be "that guy".

Z-man

Good luck and have fun!

Z-man

Have a great time, and get some GoPro videos. You did get one right?

Have a great time, and get some GoPro videos. You did get one right?

Funny you should ask. I was trying to contract with a photographer, who has worked with MMP in the past at the Boss Attack events, to take photos for me both days, as well as outfit the car with Go Pro's. For some reason MMP could not work out the details with him, so I have no 'official' photographer working with me. I still will be bringing my gear, but I haven't worked out how to take photos of myself and drive at the same time.

I debated buying a GoPro (or an Ion Air) myself, but didn't really see where I would use it much after MMP. It wasn't the cost, but who has time to edit all that video, and then watch it again in 'real time'? Then I remembered that I already have three small 'point and shoot' digital cameras...and they all shoot video as well. So, I bought a suction mount and will be using them mounted to the inside of the windshield. Not quite as nice as a GoPro, but I think good enough for what I'm doing with them.

Z-man

Just back from MMP at the end of my two day class, and I'm proud to say I graduated! Not only that, but I didn't do anything to embarrass myself. I'll post up more after I catch my breath, but they advanced us pretty quickly. They were actually running a four day NASA licensing class, and I sat in on day one and two. The first day were were teamed up and my group consisted of all guys who had raced before and most had credentials from other sanctioning bodies already. When they showed up with their out fire suits,helmets, and even hans devices, I knew I was going to have to push myself to keep up.

Day one went great! I wasn't the fastest (by a loooong shot), but I had just as much fun as anybody else. I got really good at the "wave around."

If day one was elementary school, day two was definitely high school. Maybe it was because of the guys working for their NASA certification, but they moved us from the east track to the west track for day two....I had a whole new series of turns, braking points, apexes, and "lines" to learn....at least turn in and apexes were marked with cones.

After lunch, they told us we all looked good and were picking up the new course well, so to keep it interesting, they had removed all the cones from the track. We were now totally on our own on our own to drive the right line...and one more thing, we were allowed to passon ANY straight are of the track with no wave around. Let the fun begin!!!

Well in the end I feel I have definitely improved, and I feel much more comfortable on the track. I got smoother, and therefore faster, as the day went on. I'm still not ready to go for my racing license, but I'm much better than I was just two days ago.

FYI - the guys who are continuing on to day three are in a full blown no holds barred real race tomorrow with professional racers in Corvettes, GTR's, BMW's, a Ferrari, and other similar cars! What the heck are they going to have them do on day four?!

Z-man

Archived