TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Wow These Factory Goodyears Suck,2014 Gt 500 All Stock??

Geneo4116

left WISCONSIN couple days ago,with my new shelby gt 500,everybody on here said by new tires before u leave,it was 15 degrees when I left,but I babied it and for the most part it was fine,went thru St. Louis on my way stoped at a cemetery to visit my brother in laws grave,it was in the 40s at best,driving out of cemetery in parking lot nobody around,was in first gear around 10mph,hit it about half throttle spun me around about a 180. Kinda surprised me really,before I bought car,had a 13 mustang gt auto with roush charger 575hp,nothing like the shelby,going thru chatanooga,in 6th gear around 60mph a camaro pulls up on the side of me revs it up,I throw it in 3rd at 60 it's 44 degrees,car fishtails back and forth I let off, so My QUESTION IS THUS WHAT IS BEST STREET TIRE PROBALLY NEVER GO TO THE STRIP,BUT HAVE TO BE ABLE TO PUT SOME DOWN ON THE STREET, WHAT SAY U WILL BE HERE IN FLORIDA TILL APRIL,PS....... WHEN I GOT DOWN HERE IN FLORIDA IT WAS 70 degrees car feels a lot better at 70 than at 44 as far as hooking up a lot better,love the car a lot of fun,but must show respect!!!!!!!

The topic of the Goodyear's has been discussed over and over. Your experience is similar to everyone else. It's scary when the ass end of the car breaks loose at 60mph and you find yourself headed backwards down the highway (with your wife in the car). I guess Ford has some kind of deal with Goodyear because they keep putting those crappy tires on high horsepower cars. I went with the Michelin's and have not had the issue since when temps are low, but I will say I drive much more carefully. Not sure how these would do on a drag strip though as I do not drag race my car. Be safe and enjoy your new Shelby!

The topic of the Goodyear's has been discussed over and over. I guess Ford has some kind of deal with Goodyear because they keep putting those crappy tires on high horsepower cars

I always assumed it was a "keep it American" kind of a thing.

Sad thing is, I want to love the Goodyears for just that reason, but I can't.

The first month of owning my car, 14, I blew it around between two trucks scared the crap out of me. I am going to look at replacing the tires although I want to keep the stock wheels. Not sure what tires to go with yet but am looking it isn't safe the way it is and mixed with my heavy foot......

I gave up on Goodyear many many Mustangs ago. When I had my 2014 GT500 delivered the GY's came off and the

MPSS's went on at 25 miles. The MPSS are a much better all around tire for this GT500 than the GY's. Before the 2014

Shelby I had a 93 Cobra R, 95 Cobra R, 2003 Cobra and 2004 Cobra. I had different rubber on all those cars after

getting rid of the GY's

Tire rack will most likely be the best online resource for you to obtain the Michelin's. BTW - we have experienced a seriously cold weather pattern in the Southeast this week. Got down to 9 degrees the other night with a high of 22. Had my Shelby out that day for a quick run to the store and the Michelin's had no issue hooking up even with a little extra throttle. I still wouldn't drive the car in the same manner as I would if it were 70 degrees or above, but it is much more manageable shod with Michelin rubber. You can determine proper tire size on their site or call them to discuss.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Tire Rack and got a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWs. The work fantastic. I drove to and from Shelbyfest (Hermann, MO), from Columbia, SC, last year and it got caught in driving rain for the last 2-3 hours of the trip. If you drive in wet conditions I cannot praise these tires enough. Great tires and they don't break the bank.

I went to Tire Rack and got a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWs. The work fantastic. I drove to and from Shelbyfest (Hermann, MO), from Columbia, SC, last year and it got caught in driving rain for the last 2-3 hours of the trip. If you drive in wet conditions I cannot praise these tires enough. Great tires and they don't break the bank.

What sizes did you get?

Why do I have this line under my text? :headscratch:

Is it possible to run MPSS on the rears and stick with the stock goodyears in the front? Its extremely cold right now here in Virginia.

That's the setup I have. Fantastic in the dry, haven't driven it below 50 degrees or so.

I have logged many rainy miles in my TVS 08 shod with MPSS without issue. I think their dry/wet performance is quite good. If one decides not to respect a Shelby in the rain the worst can happen regardless of tire selection.

Absolutely. And I am no stranger to limited traction situations, by any stretch. What blew me away was how much worse my car behaved on wet roads with the MPSS tires than it did with the stock Goodyears. *THAT* was a total surprise. They are significantly better on dry pavement, no question. But their grip on a wet road is maybe half what the Goodyears have. I've broken traction with the GY many times, and was able to predictably gain control again with ease. The MPSS just sent me fishtailing wildly in both directions until I was sliding backward down the road, and off into the ditch.

I daily Drive mine and run the MPSS. I love them with the exception I would have gone to a 315 in the back versus the 285 that it came with. I drive rain or shine and they have never let me down. They do however get a little pissy on really cold days. I agree with everyone else though....lead foot, wet road, equals very bad day no matter what tire. Ya just have to find that happy medium.

• 7 months later...

Can you tell me if these tires would fit the 2014 GT500?

Thanks a lot.

275x40x19 FRONT

295X30X20 REAR

i used to have hankook ventus v12 all the way around. they were rated highly by Car & Driver at the time, against tires costing twice as much (including michelins). i now have nitto nt555 up front and toyo proxies r888 outback. also had my rear wheels widened to 11" since i also had a scary experience on the OEM goodyears. sticks like bubblegum now.

MPSS are the way to go. Running them on my Alcoas and they have been great. Like a lot of others the car doesn't get out in the rain, but I do live in Canada and it has been known to get chilly here now and then. Have fun, enjoy, drive safe!

I went with Michellins because I couldn't find BFG KDWs in the correct sizes, It takes some work to break traction. I think ford puts the goodyears on so you don't break any driveline components through the warranty period? So far I am really enjoying the predictability and traction, I also installed H&R race springs too. Goodluck and be safe.

Archived