TEAM SHELBY FORUM

A new noise, what is it?

UPSTATE

OK I have 187 miles on the car and when it is first driven with everything so new you don't notice anything. Now that I have a few miles on it and a few hard runs I notice a sound that maybe normal or not. One time when I was accelorating full out and shifted from 1st to second, popped the clutch to hit second gear hard, (happen to hit a bump in the road at the same time) the back end popped, like metal snapping.

Now when I'm going in second gear at slow speed and tap the gas I here a click or clunk that sounds like it's from the rear U joint. As soon as tork is on the rear end. Not real loud but I can tell. I don't know if this is normal slop in the drive shaft or not. Do you guys notice this? I haven't had a stick in 20 years and have forgotten the typical sounds. Thanks.

I have the same thing with mine. You feel it when you shift normally right? When you let out the clutch it kinda clunks?

I believe that the bump was enough to stress the bushings enough to damage them.

I think mine did it because of all the power I am making with the KB. I have had a new upper control arm for a while & I finally put it on this morning. I felt the difference right away. The clunk was gone. Then I drove it hard & it started doing it again. I am thinking that I now blew the bushing that is on the rearend housing. It feels like it did before I changed the UCA. I hope that is what it is. I am gonna get an energy suspension bushing. Any ideas anyone?

I have the same thing with mine. You feel it when you shift normally right? When you let out the clutch it kinda clunks?

I believe that the bump was enough to stress the bushings enough to damage them.

I think mine did it because of all the power I am making with the KB. I have had a new upper control arm for a while & I finally put it on this morning. I felt the difference right away. The clunk was gone. Then I drove it hard & it started doing it again. I am thinking that I now blew the bushing that is on the rearend housing. It feels like it did before I changed the UCA. I hope that is what it is. I am gonna get an energy suspension bushing. Any ideas anyone?

Yes a clunk when you drive normal. Exactly. When you say bushings, What bushings?

Yes a clunk when you drive normal. Exactly. When you say bushings, What bushings?

The noise you are referring to may be due to a problem as described, I believe, by Alloy Dave on another thread not too long ago, and there were some pictures of the fix posted with it.

OK I have 187 miles on the car and when it is first driven with everything so new you don't notice anything. Now that I have a few miles on it and a few hard runs I notice a sound that maybe normal or not. One time when I was accelorating full out and shifted from 1st to second, popped the clutch to hit second gear hard, (happen to hit a bump in the road at the same time) the back end popped, like metal snapping.

Now when I'm going in second gear at slow speed and tap the gas I here a click or clunk that sounds like it's from the rear U joint. As soon as tork is on the rear end. Not real loud but I can tell. I don't know if this is normal slop in the drive shaft or not. Do you guys notice this? I haven't had a stick in 20 years and have forgotten the typical sounds. Thanks.

Allot of GT500's owners experience exactly the same popping or banging noise at least once, mine did it once and there is nothing wrong with my car. Everything you have described is normal for the GT500 based on many discussions with other owners about normal noises. A little play in the drive line is normal and some have more than others, mine has more than some and less than others that I have personally driven, again there is nothing wrong with my car.

Try not make the clunking sound by playing with the gas pedal at low speed and load conditions. We could get into a very expensive Ferrari and find strange noises. Enjoy the car and put more miles on it so you get more used to how it drives.

Allot of GT500's owners experience exactly the same popping or banging noise at least once, mine did it once and there is nothing wrong with my car. Everything you have described is normal for the GT500 based on many discussions with other owners about normal noises. A little play in the drive line is normal and some have more than others, mine has more than some and less than others that I have personally driven, again there is nothing wrong with my car.

Try not make the clunking sound by playing with the gas pedal at low speed and load conditions. We could get into a very expensive Ferrari and find strange noises. Enjoy the car and put more miles on it so you get more used to how it drives.

Thanks, I believe you are right. Got in the car this morning cold, the noise between 1st and 2nd is non existent 99% of the time. I guess I'm not used to really getting into a car, especially one this powerful and I think I'm breaking everything. All is good I will chill and enjoy the ride. Thanks everyone.

I think the noise is normal, there is a lot of torque running through our drivetrain....everything wants out of there. :hysterical:

The bushing you are talking about? Is it the one that is installed in the top of the diff housing? How does that come out? Press? I thought of changing it also, but looks like a bear to get out.

It is the one on the rearend housing. The older 'stangs had two uppers. It definately does look tough to get out. BMR says you have to use the existing bushing shell too. I would cut it out otherwise. I was going to call BMR Monday & talk to them about the bushing. Here is what it says on their website:

Quote: 3 link suspensions place excessive loads on the upper link bushings. In the '05, two bushings are responsible for handling the same torque load that 4 bushings had done before. Additionally, these bushings are subjected to more "twist" than before since the rear end can better articulate as a 3 link design. In order to allow free articulation, the OE rearend bushing is designed to flex. This flex is great for handling but under straight line acceleration, it contributes to wheelhop and inconsistant launch characteristics.

Energy Suspension offers a no-compronise solution with it's dual durometer 5 piece polyurethane replacement bushing. By designing the bushing as a multi-piece unit, it allowed them to keep the inside portion stiff for great straightline acceleration load and the outside portions soft for bind-free handling. NOTE: requires use of existing bushing shell End Quote.

I really believe that my car squatting as hard as it does under acceleration is what blew out the bushing on the stock UCA. Then I put a better one on there & it was too much for the one on the rearend housing.

It is the one on the rearend housing. The older 'stangs had two uppers. It definately does look tough to get out. BMR says you have to use the existing bushing shell too. I would cut it out otherwise. I was going to call BMR Monday & talk to them about the bushing. Here is what it says on their website:

Quote: 3 link suspensions place excessive loads on the upper link bushings. In the '05, two bushings are responsible for handling the same torque load that 4 bushings had done before. Additionally, these bushings are subjected to more "twist" than before since the rear end can better articulate as a 3 link design. In order to allow free articulation, the OE rearend bushing is designed to flex. This flex is great for handling but under straight line acceleration, it contributes to wheelhop and inconsistant launch characteristics.

Energy Suspension offers a no-compronise solution with it's dual durometer 5 piece polyurethane replacement bushing. By designing the bushing as a multi-piece unit, it allowed them to keep the inside portion stiff for great straightline acceleration load and the outside portions soft for bind-free handling. NOTE: requires use of existing bushing shell End Quote.

I really believe that my car squatting as hard as it does under acceleration is what blew out the bushing on the stock UCA. Then I put a better one on there & it was too much for the one on the rearend housing.

I think the stock diff bushing is a stout durable unit that will hold up very well, I would be surprised if it's the cause of any problem. If it is damaged, before you remove it would you please take a photo and post.

Thanks,

Blayne

Archived