TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Just Hit 100K

07SGT0517

• 1 month later...

Good thread. I tell people that I am a driver not a curator. Meaning, yes these cars are works of art and yes they are collectable. But a driver really gets to know the cars, how they work, what they can and can't do and how far to push them. A driver knows what oversteer and understeer is. etc. They get to know its true nature. In short they come to know first hand the character and personality of that machine.

A garage queen owner I typically equate as being a curator of a art museum. They are most comfortable concerning themselves with care taking, NO- preservation. Ideally the car could live in bubble free from human interaction. Only waiting for the time when the current owner passes and then the children can fight over the proceeds as it sells weeks after the funeral.

I'm not saying that drivers beat the cars to death. Thats just silly. Spoiled teenagers do that with their boy racer tuner cars. NO a real car enthusiast / driver is someone who understands how to maintain the balance. It's a car, it's meant to be driven. It WANTS to be driven. Make it a living and breathing thing. Connect with it. Love it. When it needs some TLC, take care of it. Give back into it what it has given to you and it will always give back. Make memories. Experience life. Teach your children to do the same and instead of selling off a art treasure they will understand the treasure is in enjoying it they way you did.

Mine is 07SGT0393. It represented Shelby American back in 2009 as I drove it across america on Amy Boylan's ticket for the 45th mustangs across america tour. I have attended Shelby Bashes, track day events, and many date nights with the mrs. It has 43,000 miles and I don't regret a single one. Motor on!

One of my celebrity friend/customer's just brought a Grabber Orange 08 Shelby GT into my shop last week. 118K miles and a daily driver. I supercharged the car at 1600 miles, Did a clutch at 14K, Plugs several times, a belt tensioner, regular fluid changes, 2 sets of brake pads, and still runs and drives like new!!

My first 07 GT500 I bought new in 06 that I sold in 08 now has 122K on it last time I serviced it for my friend I sold it to and it still runs like new too. These cars last a long time if well taken care of...

Alex

First off, I'd like to congratulate the original poster on driving his Shelby 100,000 miles. That is a lot of enjoyment and is to commended. :salute:

Second, I like the idea of a 100K badge for the grill of a Shelby from Team Shelby or Shelby American. I've driven my 2011 GT-500 42K+ and it has been a pure pleasure. I always say, "Let the next guy worry about restoring it. I'm going to take care of it but enjoy driving it ever mile I can." Besides, I'm too old to buy new cars as an investment. I'd never get my money back :future:

Oh boy, I'm only getting $14 per mile out of my '09 KR;. She currently has 4100 miles on her but........4100 FAST miles !! I'm nearly due for a new set of rear tires !

Living in the NE limits my driving time with her. Had her out 3 weeks ago for an hour of driving, then more snow came to the area. I had her running today for a bit.

Love the thread guys! I believe that a grill badge for 50k and 100k and every 50k after is an awesome idea. The badge should go to team Shelby owners this does two things encourages more membership and does exactly what Mr. Shelby intended the cars to do BE DRIVEN. I love driving my SGT, I gave my motorcycle days up to own this bad boy and so I use it for the same reason in addition to a daily driver... come to think of it my motorcycle was a daily driver too. Turn the music up and go for a cruise no better therapy in the world! :shift::whistling:

• 1 month later...

I just hit 100k this week. As a curiosity, how many of you have surpassed that milestone. The car is still running great.

I just added BMR LCA's, a Whiteline Rear Sway-Bar and BMR adjustable Panhard bar. Really tighten the rear back up. No pops, no creaks, no sqeaks.

Now I just need to change out my spark-plugs...

good luck on changing them funny spark plugs :hysterical3:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

So my 07 Shelby is not my daily driver. My old ride was a 94 Cobra with over 100,000 miles on it and it was a daily driver at one time. I came across the SGT and loved it. By this time I a second car as a daily driver and the SGT has seen limited duty. I have a little over 9000 miles on it and that is up from about 5800 miles when it was purchased in 2012.

So long story short, my daily driver is currently in the shop and I am waiting to find out if it is the clutch or transmission that went and how much it is going to cost me. So I have been driving the Shelby for the last couple of days and am loving it. Starting to think that maybe I should just use it as my daily driver. I do not want to own a museum piece and I am encouraged by all of you that have been enjoying yours as daily drivers.

I was always thinking that I should keep the mileage low to retain the value, but the truth is we don't really know if our cars will really be worth anything someday. I am starting to think that we only get one trip on this rock, might as well enjoy it while we are here. For me, that might be starting to enjoy the Shelby on a daily basis.

Congrats to those who are hitting the big miles! It's also nice to see how really reliable these cars are in general.

Wow this thread is still going... I just wanted to update my original posting. I am now at 149k, I just finished replacing most of the suspension about a month ago. Just like new again.

I had K-Springs and D-specs, the D-Specs where on there for 110K.

I went to Steeda's Linear Sport Springs and Koni Yellows, after talking with Sam Strano a few times.

I also installed new front control arms, front sway bar rod endlinks, steeda bumpsteer kit, front sway bar bushings, RTR's new C-Max adjustable rear LCA's, spohn del-sphere UCA(bought used from Vorshlag), Steeda Heavy Duty Spherical Axle Bushing, Whiteline Rear Sway Bar, Whiteline Watts-Link, GT-500 4 Piston Brembo's & a set of Vorshlag Brake Lines.... It was a long weekend to install it all, but I got it done.

If anyone has any questions about parts installed or installation process, please feel free to ask. I put alot of miles on the car every week, and still drive it like I stole it.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived