TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Member From England

UKGT500

Hi. Actually I bought my car in May 2012 with 7600 original miles. Car is black with Tungsten stripes and while I can never call any used car "mint" it is the closest car to mint condition I have ever owned.

It's been in the UK from new. First owner covered 1200 miles, the second went from 1200 miles to 7600.

When I bought it my car had Eibach Pro springs and the ride was bad and the roadholding over bumps was . well, dangerous!

I have sorted the handling now with the following sensible (I think!) mods:

Ford Racing front struts/ rear shocks / springs. BMR adjustable panhard bar and brace, Blow by Racing lower control arms, Shelby bumpsteer kit, upper control arm shimmed to take out the play between the 14mm bolt in the 16mm hole. Also has EBC brake pads (readily available over here) which give it slightly more initial bite.

Cosmetically I added 2010 style rear lights with amber flashers (we have to have those) and used the other clear lenses for reversing lights and clear front lenses and HID style bulbs in the headlights and fogs..I also added some "supercharged" emblems above the snake on each side!

Love this car! I owned a 2005 GT 5-speed manual (also black) for 5 years but the GT500 is a whole different ball game. Not just the speed and aggressive looks but the engine in this car is a thoroughbred.

I am mega pleased with the extra touches like the steering wheel with grips, better brakes, 6 speed and mine has the nice leather dash/interior package.

Am planning to add a pulley/tune/CAI package soon...

Malc

post-42446-0-56809600-1387225712_thumb.jpg

post-42446-0-70626100-1387225988_thumb.jpg

post-42446-0-91404500-1387226137_thumb.jpg

post-42446-0-56809600-1387225712_thumb.jpg

post-42446-0-70626100-1387225988_thumb.jpg

post-42446-0-91404500-1387226137_thumb.jpg

Welcome to TS Malc,

Loads of good info and great people here, plus you'll meet up with some other UK Shelby owners as well.

We just rented a flat in Kensington for 2 weeks, great place to start from, great area to walk and two tubes stations within 5 minutes for further exploring

We had a wonderful vacation, and perfect weather. Even took in the Fulham vs Aston Villa game at Craven Cottage, good stuff.

Back to topic, welcome aboard, and enjoy your GT500

Tom

Wow thanks for the welcome folks! Looks like some great people and great info on here.

As the weather is bad and I have some modding time on my hands I just found myself "accidentally" calling Brenspeed and ordering a Stage 2 100hp+ package (JLT 123mm, open air box, 2.6" pulley, spark plugs, SCT tuner) and a 2008+ crank pulley. Not looking forward to putting the crank pulley on but the rest should be good.

Looked through the tech forums and talked myself into the JLT oil separators too (both sides) as they seem like a worthy addition.

The idea is to keep the car looking stock and just making subtle improvements that will add to the enjoyment and experience of owning such an amazing car. The previous owner was a great guy but the mods he added are all taken off or going to be (Eibach springs on otherwise stock suspension just didn't work on bad roads, exhaust cutouts underneath that hang too low and are in fact incorrectly installed, exhaust tips that looked tacky to my eyes...)

I am happy with the handling now and the ride is excellent on good roads, if a little hard in town. I do a lot of research before buying anything.

Don't know about in the USA but over here people's jaws just hit the floor when they see the Shelby. It just looks outrageous next to all our 1.0 litre econoboxes!!!!!

Malc

• 3 weeks later...

I had the lower pulley swapped out. After watching it done, it looked pretty easy. Take at look at the attached link for instructions.

They pulled the radiator cover off, removed the screws holding the coolant tanks and used a bungee cord attached to the hood loop to hold them up out of the way.

There are two separate instructions, one for the 2008 Ford balancer and the 10% OD balancer

Good luck and keep us posted

http://www.vmptuning.com/forum/showthread.php?t=760

Wow thanks for the welcome folks! Looks like some great people and great info on here.

As the weather is bad and I have some modding time on my hands I just found myself "accidentally" calling Brenspeed and ordering a Stage 2 100hp+ package (JLT 123mm, open air box, 2.6" pulley, spark plugs, SCT tuner) and a 2008+ crank pulley. Not looking forward to putting the crank pulley on but the rest should be good.

Looked through the tech forums and talked myself into the JLT oil separators too (both sides) as they seem like a worthy addition.

The idea is to keep the car looking stock and just making subtle improvements that will add to the enjoyment and experience of owning such an amazing car. The previous owner was a great guy but the mods he added are all taken off or going to be (Eibach springs on otherwise stock suspension just didn't work on bad roads, exhaust cutouts underneath that hang too low and are in fact incorrectly installed, exhaust tips that looked tacky to my eyes...)

I am happy with the handling now and the ride is excellent on good roads, if a little hard in town. I do a lot of research before buying anything.

Don't know about in the USA but over here people's jaws just hit the floor when they see the Shelby. It just looks outrageous next to all our 1.0 litre econoboxes!!!!!

Malc

Welcome Malc!!!!!

You have now got one of the greatest names in cars on the road!!! I am an ex-pat now living in Western Canada (British Columbia) and know exactly what you mean about attention grabbing your car would generate! The only problem you must have sometimes driving it over there would be getting onto some roundabouts........ Hard to see what's coming from your right!!!!! I know as I brought over a Camaro Z28 in 1992 and used it for a few months there before returning to Canada.

Welcome Malc!!!!!

You have now got one of the greatest names in cars on the road!!! I am an ex-pat now living in Western Canada (British Columbia) and know exactly what you mean about attention grabbing your car would generate! The only problem you must have sometimes driving it over there would be getting onto some roundabouts........ Hard to see what's coming from your right!!!!! I know as I brought over a Camaro Z28 in 1992 and used it for a few months there before returning to Canada.

That's the reason I don't fit the Shelby-type scoops over the rear side windows. I think they look great but they would reduce the visibility coming out of turnings and roundabouts to the point that I may lose the side of my car!!!

Malc

That's the reason I don't fit the Shelby-type scoops over the rear side windows. I think they look great but they would reduce the visibility coming out of turnings and roundabouts to the point that I may lose the side of my car!!!

Malc

Heehee!!! I totally hear you! My first drive of my Z28 in the UK was right after picking it up from the shipping company just off the north circular (London for people who don't know the UK!) and it was rush hour!!!! Yes I did manage to get onto the roundabout but did find out that the flexible nose on the Camaro didn't dent the car that I couldn't see until it was right across my nose!!!! I'm sure you know what I mean! The other option was to get a convertible like me,but having the roof down over there isn't always an option!

Where in the UK do you live?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What kind of price would a GT500 like yours cost in the UK Malc?

A nice 2007/8 is about £28k though I was lucky and paid less for a beauty because I placed a Wanted ad to catch someone who may be thinking of selling. I put a maximum price I would pay in my ad and it worked!

In actual fact £28k is close to what these cars were new in the US. I have a lot of documentation with my car and I think it was about $43k new. The guy I bought it from had it from 1200 miles and paid £38,500 which must have been about $55.000 US!

A 2013 new in the UK? Dealers ask about 369k which must be around £110,000 US. At the moment used 2013s have an asking price almost the same as new.

I wouldn't like to guess how many GT500s there are in the UK but there aren't many. Mustangs were never sold through dealers here so they are all imports which keeps them exclusive and rare.

There are quite a few SN95 and S197 Mustang V6 and GT cars though. they are probably the most common US ponycar over here. The looks of the S197 won a lot of people over...1

Malc

Typo above but I can't edit posts. A 2013 new is about £69,000Malc

A nice 2007/8 is about £28k though I was lucky and paid less for a beauty because I placed a Wanted ad to catch someone who may be thinking of selling. I put a maximum price I would pay in my ad and it worked!In actual fact £28k is close to what these cars were new in the US. I have a lot of documentation with my car and I think it was about $43k new. The guy I bought it from had it from 1200 miles and paid £38,500 which must have been about $55.000 US!A 2013 new in the UK? Dealers ask about 369k which must be around £110,000 US. At the moment used 2013s have an asking price almost the same as new.I wouldn't like to guess how many GT500s there are in the UK but there aren't many. Mustangs were never sold through dealers here so they are all imports which keeps them exclusive and rare.There are quite a few SN95 and S197 Mustang V6 and GT cars though. they are probably the most common US ponycar over here. The looks of the S197 won a lot of people over...1Malc

Thanks for that info Malc,it is really interesting to hear what they cost!

I realize that the cars were all imported by company's or individual's,and shipping them across plus import fees push the prices up.when the GT500s first appeared in the US and Canada you had to order one,only through an SVT dealer(Canada) and wait approx. 1 year to see it,plus many dealers would mark them upwards of $20,000 or more over MRSP!

The demand was so big that they would get away with it!

For complete about the prices, here in France a 2007 2009 GT500 is around 40-45000€ so about 54-60 000$

the price are near between UK and France...and pretty much expansive than in the US

not sure about a new 2013 but i 've eard around 75-85000€

edit: 95000€ http://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/368281643.htm?ca=22_s

or 70000€ for a used one http://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/607804679.htm?ca=22_s

Archived