TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Number Meatballs For Track Days

mark.barton

I'm thinking about getting some number meatballs for various events where numbers are required and was wondering what other people were using for track days. I want them to be removable so I was thinking about using static cling or low-tack vinyl. I see a number of cars in the track photo thread that have numbers and was wondering what everyone is using?

Mark

The magnetic individual numbers are good to numerous exposures at 120-plus, in my experience. Can't speak for the meatballs.

If the vinyls svttim is speaking of are one-use-and-discard items, and the expense of a new set for each outing is no deterrent, the only trick I know of is to make the removal a little easier by applying them to your t-shirt before installing them on the car. Fuzz from the shirt, when on the back of the numbers, doesn't hinder the attachment enough so they will fly off, but reduces the stick-to-itiveness so they will come off more readily.

I made all the numbers and meatballs on my dual-purpose cars, and left them on until I wanted to change the style. The first ones were number eleven, because with a few pieces of vinyl or black tape they could easily be changed to any of quite a few numbers (0, 8, 14, 41, etc.). Later, when I had enough seniority to pick a permanent number, I chose thirty-nine, and left it alone.

I took my magnetic to 135 on a road track.... But for God sake don't use 13! :doh:

Side.jpg

Um, 13 wasn't on my list of numbers I was thinking about and this definitely confirms it. Ouch.............But it didn't come off.....

Out of curiosity, what were the bash number panels made from?

Mark

Mark, you can actually just use vinyl, you just have to remove them as soon as done. You can use magnetic but, they can fall off at high speed. Contact John Farmer, he can give you direction

That's the confusing part of all of this, multiple places say the magnetic roundels are only good for low speed events (i.e. autocross), while others say they are ok for higher speed events like HPDE or track days. Then there is static cling, some say they are good to go for track day events and others, low speed events only. That's why I was canvasing the group to see what peoples experience was. I like the idea of the magnetic's, easy on, easy off and, if they will stay put like jerseygator and Torch40 said, that might be the way I'll go.

Mark

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I bought some Magnetic Car Signs for my Car a while back (18"x24") and they were printed in full color and made using a very thick Magnetic material, a lot thicker than most. And they were cheap to. I think this is the guy I got them from on Ebay (Fast Turnaround to)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-18x24-Custom-Car-Magnets-Magnetic-Auto-Truck-Signs-/230726332844?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b85c71ac

Just choose your Number and Colors. Have them center the Number on the Magnets and when you get them, Draw a Circle around the Number and trim the Signs. This guy might be able to do you Round ones in the desired size to.

Archived