TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hum In Rear Of 2012 Gt500 With Svtpp

motorjock205

I have a 2012 GT500 with the SVTPP which as I understand has the 3:73 gears in the rear end. When driving on the highway I hear a pronounced hum coming from the rear end of the car when I hit 80 MPH. A little above or below 80 MPH and it goes away, but right at 80 it is constant. I figure it is gear whine that I never heard with the 3:31 or 3:55 gears in my older Shelby's. Any thoughts? For now, I've decided not to worry about it too much, I have the remainder of factory warranty and an extended warranty, was just curious if anyone else has noticed this as well.

I'm going with gear whine at least that is what i have been told by several. Mine does it at 60 mph and only when I'm in the throttle. If it is a factory rear, I would have it fixed sooner than later. That way if it does it again before the warranty is out you can have Ford fix it again. It's my understanding that it is all about the gear set-up.

Keep us posted

But why would it do it at 60 in all gears. Seems the rear would spin at diff rpms depending on gear ie 3rd vs 6th

Not sure? Ive tried 4th-6th and as soon as I hit 60 mph the howl starts. Again, only when you are giving it gas; when you lift off the gas it goes away. I've never had a car that makes this noise. I've read several threads with others having the same issues. All I know is it is annoying!

But why would it do it at 60 in all gears. Seems the rear would spin at diff rpms depending on gear ie 3rd vs 6th

Doesn't the diff spin at the same speed for the same MPH? The selected gear only matches input (RPM) to output (driveshaft RPM = 3.73 x axle RPM). So if the diff whines at 80 MPH (approx 4,000 driveshaft - not engine - RPM), then changing from 6th to 5th will just change engine RPM. Diff is still spinning at same speed if car is still going 80.

Maybe I misunderstand the OP's issue.

• 4 weeks later...

Mine does the same thing. It became way more noticable after I did the suspension mods. It is really loud but soon as you let off the gas it goes away. Does not matter what gear you are in. I just turn the radio up lmao.

It can make you crazy. I bought. My car with mods already complete so not sure if it had the whine prior to suspension mod.

Archived