TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Did Sean Penn Butcher A Shelby Gt? I Think So...

07SGT5687

In the end do what ever you want...just don't post about it and expect everyone to like it or agree with you I think is the take away.

We all have our own unique likes and dislikes, and when you put them out there for all the world to see, expect some to feel differently. Doesn't make you wrong, nor should it matter to you what anyone else thinks, if it does, my advice would be not to post it! ;-)

Yeah it is his car ...and he do what he likes .....I love being in this car club ... It gives me ideals on what or what not to do with my car ..:

10-4. Agreed... With emphasis on what NOT to do in this case!

In the end do what ever you want...just don't post about it and expect everyone to like it or agree with you I think is the take away.

We all have our own unique likes and dislikes, and when you put them out there for all the world to see, expect some to feel differently. Doesn't make you wrong, nor should it matter to you what anyone else thinks, if it does, my advice would be not to post it! ;-)

You know what Jeff, I do respect what you are saying... I would simply request that you make sure you are laying that down with an even spread. Look at the thread title... I was asking what people thought. I was asking for it. Which means I expected varying opinions. What pisses me off is this notion that it's so wildly offensive and callous of me as a Shelby GT owner to post on a Shelby enthusiasts website, that fact that I am didn't like it when I saw a celebrity drastically change a car many of us hold near and dear. Go back and read the OP again. I didn't berate the owner for his choice, in fact I'm not even sure (can't see it at the moment) how much I actually even said about his choice. In fact, the thread was more about the fact that thought maybe that I had "discovered" a Shelby GT underneath this drastically changed car.

Again, it doesn't tick me off that people feel differently than what I do. Otherwise the thread title would have been something like "Sean Penn is a dick and he had no right to do this". I never said Sean Penn needed my "approval". Or that he was wrong. Or that he had no right. What ticks me off is when certain individuals take upon themselves to become the "moral regulators" of this site.

I'm sorry if you misunderstood what I wrote.

The point I was trying to make, and it wasn't really directed at this thread or your post, was in general and maybe I didn't make it well.

We have though the years had people post all sorts of physical modifications to their cars that they loved to do, had a great deal of pride in, and posted for all to see. Which is GREAT! That's what makes auto forums interesting! What I find to be the problem though is all too often their modifications are frowned upon by others and they get upset and we go through yet another series of "it's your car do what you want" posts and rise and repeat.

Sometimes people's feelings get hurt as these mods are often done by the individual and are a labor of love. I just hate to see people getting upset over these things. What's the old saying? One man's trash is another's treasure and all that. I was only suggesting, again not to you or to this post but in general, that if you post a car with mods etc., that take away from the "look" or the esthetics of the car, especially one as iconic as the SGT, you need to do it with a thick skin knowing there will be some people who will LOVE what you did and run off to do the same or will HATE what you've done, and won't be shy telling you. It's just the way of the inter webs!

I just hate to see friendships strained over things like this.

As for Sean Penn's SGT I agree with you! He's trashed it and I hope one day it's bough by someone and restored.

VERY sad.

That's cool that your SGT came with heated seats. I wish mine had heated seats. Just curious to where the button is for the heated seat?

And does that axle reservoir work well? I bought the KR one from Shelby but I have a vert and it supposedly doesn't fit unless you do modifications to the bracket. When I would track my 08 Sgt I would always notice fluid from my rear end. I assume it would heat up and expand.

By all your mods I assume you hit the road course a lot?

That's cool that your SGT came with heated seats. I wish mine had heated seats. Just curious to where the button is for the heated seat?

And does that axle reservoir work well? I bought the KR one from Shelby but I have a vert and it supposedly doesn't fit unless you do modifications to the bracket. When I would track my 08 Sgt I would always notice fluid from my rear end. I assume it would heat up and expand.

By all your mods I assume you hit the road course a lot?

The heated seat buttons are on either side of the AC button on the console just below the heat controls. Honestly they are pretty crappy seat heaters. Your not missing much. Not like most these days with several settings/levels. Just on or off and they automatically turn off after a short period of time. Honestly the few times I've used them, I can barely tell they are on.

As for the axle reservoir, mixed feelings, but good for the most part. It was losing a lot of fluid at the track from the stock breather. This has stopped that. But you need to modify the bracket slightly for it to be perfect. For some reason they only notch one side to clear the upper control arm, but if your ever fully compress the rear end with any lateral motion, it will catch on the side that's not notched. Happened to me when I hit a big unmarked dip on the freeway. Busted the whole thing all to hell. When I replaced it, I notched the other side myself so now it clears everything nicely. Even in the event of a full rear compression. But all and all I hear it the best one around.

And yes, other than selling our house and waiting to get our new one built which means all my track stuff is packed in a storage unit, I used to track it all the time! It's SO good on the track. Pisses off all the Porsche, BMW and Corvette guys! And with the Whipple it's got way more power than I get get to the ground in the twisties. Turned it from a really confident adequately powered track car... To a monster that runs on the raged edge in every turn!

• 2 weeks later...

for all you suckwads that like to scorn or defend what people do to their own cars, I got this to throw in your butthurt faces. guess what? my SGT is no longer original. but not from my doing. it was from mother nature's doing. it happened only 6 months after I bought my first ever muscle car. probably the only one i'll ever own. I barely was able to afford her. I don't make much money so I knew I couldn't afford to make modifications that I wanted to (supercharge it, cam job, etc or whatever people like doing with muscle cars) so I wanted to keep it original for my personal economic (limited budget) reasons. she was hail damaged to the extreme. every part of the body had to have work done to it. I had no time to drive it anywhere to get it under cover. it hit all at once. weather forcasters here suck cods when it comes to tellin u what the weather is going to do. needless to say I was heartbroken and helpless. be thankful for what you got. be thankful u have the means to do with it what u want. because there are people out there that don't have Sh!#.

by the way its for sale if anyone wants it. I'm done with it. faded deteriorated stripes and all. wish I had the money to bring her back to her former glory. I don't even know what i'll be able to get out of it if I sell it. only 17k miles.

• 2 weeks later...

since everyone is throwing out opinions I thought I weigh in.....I think the almost religious way these cars are kept stock and not driven is laughable.

I say....get over it.

these cars were built to be driven, enjoyed, modded.........as Carroll Shelby himself said many times.......

Yes, its a numbered Shelby.

He modded it.

So what?

Its paint (or a wrap)...it could be put back to stock as well......more paint.

My wifes 08 SGT is bone stock.

50k miles.

you approve?

well, since it was purchased brand new in Sept 08, it has worn 4 snow tires from November to April and been used as her DD...all year round here in the Northeast....

snow, ice, salt, wind, gloom of night......yep, this puppy has seen it all....

still approve?

right, I don't care either.

Its my car.

we traded in her Escape for it. (great deal by the way, thank you Michael Morris)

no offense intended to anyone, just expressing my opinion.

wow you must be proud. but I got one up on you. I only wash mine once a year. mine parked outside all the time and one day it got hailed on. $6k worth of damages, but that's what insurance is for right? I bought a house with a car port 2 years ago. finally gets to be in the dry. still only wash it once a year. hasn't been waxed in 3 years. and you know what I like most about it? I still get compliments on it. :camera:.

sorry for the last couple of blank posts. I guess I forgot how to quote others' posts.

for all you suckwads that like to scorn or defend what people do to their own cars, I got this to throw in your butthurt faces.

Please feel free to express your opinion, forcefully if you like, but don't resort to name calling or make things personal.

Thanks!

wow you must be proud. but I got one up on you. I only wash mine once a year. mine parked outside all the time and one day it got hailed on. $6k worth of damages, but that's what insurance is for right? I bought a house with a car port 2 years ago. finally gets to be in the dry. still only wash it once a year. hasn't been waxed in 3 years. and you know what I like most about it? I still get compliments on it. :camera:.

sorry for the last couple of blank posts. I guess I forgot how to quote others' posts.

I'm up on you! My 2013 Boss 302 as 12,000 miles on it over the last two years and has NEVER been washed.

The car is kool.....to each his own........but he's still a dork.

Archived