TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Suspension Advice - 2011 Gt500 Vert With Tvs

yell03

I know some of you are getting sick of all my questions and I have searched for hours (my wife is getting pissed), but....

I just want to make my 2011 GT500 with a TVS swap a little safer when putting the powericon1.png down.

Drag Radials are out of the question as this is my daily driver.
Yesterday was 42 and raining and my Michelin Pilot A/S 3s were amazing, confidenceicon1.png inspiring.

I might possibly throw on Michelin Pilot Super Sports for the summer, but the A/S 3s are pretty good, much better than stock Goodyears even in warm weather. In 70 degree weather on a sunny day thecaricon1.png will hook up from a 40mph roll. Now, on a 50-60 degree day and gray skies 2nd will spin badly, even 3rd broke them loose at 65 the other day.

Back on topic....

Without losing ride quality or increasing noise too much...

What suspension parts would keep my 600rwhp TVS swapped Convertible from spinning more than it does now and more importantly, at least when it does spin, keeping it spinning straight rather than kicking out sideways.

When the car becomes a part-time drive I could go to drag radials later on, but that will be incing on the cake.

I have thought about going to wider tires out back, I hear 325/30/19s will fit on a 11 inch rim, but I still think the car will spin them without suspension work, but if you think wider rubber is the answer, feel free to voice that opinion.

I really like the look of my stock rims, so I hate to change them out.
Right now my main plan is suspension and maybe throwing MPSS 285/35/19s out back in the warm weather, they may hook a bit better than the A/S3s.

yell03,

Take a look at the BMR DRP001 Drag Race Package (Level 1) for $949. I have this kit installed on my 08, and I love it. Very minor increase in differential noise heard inside the passenger compartment, but no compromise in ride quality or handling. Instead of a mushy rearend with stock components, you will have very precise articulation with NO wheelhop. I am at roughly the same power level you are at now with a 2.9 Whipple and conservative ProCal tune. It won't completely fix your traction problem on the street though... I can still break loose at 70mph in 3rd gear with drag radials in cooler weather if I romp on it, but my car drives through it while still going straight, does not get squirrely. On the drag strip, once I let the clutch out, the car goes straight down the track with no steering inputs required. IMO, this is the most aggressive rear suspension setup that you can install without starting to compromise NVH and ride quality. You could probably continue to use your stock shocks to save a little cash since it is your daily driver, but I have no complaints with the QA1 shocks for my driving style, and I do like the adjustability. Adjustable Panhard Bar is a MUST also, and I installed the brace on the frame too just to match all of the components.

I am looking to run a M/T 305 drag radial on stock wheels when my Nittos wear out. I like the Nitto look, but still need a little more traction for 1st gear launches.

Let us know what you decide to go with.

yell03,

Take a look at the BMR DRP001 Drag Race Package (Level 1) for $949. I have this kit installed on my 08, and I love it. Very minor increase in differential noise heard inside the passenger compartment, but no compromise in ride quality or handling. Instead of a mushy rearend with stock components, you will have very precise articulation with NO wheelhop. I am at roughly the same power level you are at now with a 2.9 Whipple and conservative ProCal tune. It won't completely fix your traction problem on the street though... I can still break loose at 70mph in 3rd gear with drag radials in cooler weather if I romp on it, but my car drives through it while still going straight, does not get squirrely. On the drag strip, once I let the clutch out, the car goes straight down the track with no steering inputs required. IMO, this is the most aggressive rear suspension setup that you can install without starting to compromise NVH and ride quality. You could probably continue to use your stock shocks to save a little cash since it is your daily driver, but I have no complaints with the QA1 shocks for my driving style, and I do like the adjustability. Adjustable Panhard Bar is a MUST also, and I installed the brace on the frame too just to match all of the components.

I am looking to run a M/T 305 drag radial on stock wheels when my Nittos wear out. I like the Nitto look, but still need a little more traction for 1st gear launches.

Let us know what you decide to go with.

Thanks for the excellent advice.

I think I am going to wait until the weather warms up to see how the traction is when temps are above 60-70 and it is sunny before I make a rash decision.

Archived