TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Fays2 Watts Link - In Blue Please!

2007_Shelby_GT

The O-rings are there to aid in keeping dirt/grime out of getting into the spherical ends. You should be able to get replacements at a local hardware store. Keeping the spherical ends clean will prolong their life expectancy. You should wipe the dirt off of them occasionally and spray them off with WD-40 or something equal to it.

+1 on their purpose, but I'm curious about the WD-40? It's got some lubricating properties, but it's also kind of a solvent as well - wondering if something like a silicon-based lube might be better and less destructive to the o-rings?

Not arguing, but wanting to know!

Sam

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1 on their purpose, but I'm curious about the WD-40? It's got some lubricating properties, but it's also kind of a solvent as well - wondering if something like a silicon-based lube might be better and less destructive to the o-rings?

Not arguing, but wanting to know!

Sam

Sam,

All that I'm stating here is that spherical ends need to have maintenance ( dirt plays a major factor in their failure ) done to make them last and a good way to get long life out of them is to keep them clean and have a light lubricant on them. But you are right in the point that rubber is a petroleum based product and silicone does dissipate moisture - so a petroleum based spray is probably better on the o-rings than silicone based. JMO

Sam,

All that I'm stating here is that spherical ends need to have maintenance ( dirt plays a major factor in their failure ) done to make them last and a good way to get long life out of them is to keep them clean and have a light lubricant on them. But you are right in the point that rubber is a petroleum based product and silicone does dissipate moisture - so a petroleum based spray is probably better on the o-rings than silicone based. JMO

You have no argument from me! I'm really curious now, so I sent an email to Jim Fay to see what he recommends! (Maybe just some good ole 3-N-1) :)

Sam

Straight from Jim Fay:

"Periodic cleaning of the rod ends will be fine....IF you make sure to remove all the oily residue that will just attract dirt.
We just wipe the components off with a clean rag while the oil is draining at your changes."

Guess it doesn't matter WS-40 or something else, just wipe off the residue!

Sam

Archived