TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Secrets Of 2015 Musang

07SGT

What's the new Mustang's big secret?

By Gary Gastelu

Published December 06, 2013
FoxNews.com
  • mustang-tail-660.jpg

The 2015 Ford Mustang is the most technologically advanced example of the model in its half-century history.

Along with an optional 305 hp turbocharged and direct fuel injected four-cylinder engine, and the first independent rear suspension on a regular production ‘Stang, the new car offers a laundry list of electronic goodies.

There’s blind-spot monitoring; reverse cross-traffic alert; adaptive radar cruise control; a collision warning system; four selectable drive modes; a MyFord Touch infotainment interface; Track Apps, which has among other things a built-in quarter-mile clock complete with a drag strip-style Christmas Tree countdown timer and launch control on V8 models to go with it. Even the roof on the convertible version opens twice as fast as the one on the current car can.

But that’s not all.

At the New York unveiling of the car, Mustang Chief Engineer Dave Pericak said that his baby has a few more things up its sleeve than was revealed at the event.

“A lot of new features and technology and I even have some that I’m not ready to tell you about, but we don’t forget how to play to the kid inside of us,” he told FoxNews.com. “We’ve got another feature coming that will be an OEM [original equipment manufacturer] first.”

But what could it possibly be?

Self-parking is old news these days, as is built-in WiFi.

Ford already offers configurable ambient lighting in pretty much all of its cars, including the Mustang, so it won’t be that.

Automated perfuming? Nope, the Mercedes-Benz S-Classexternal-link.png has that for some reason, and the Mustang is a muscle car, after all.

The 2012-2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302 came with a special key that remapped the engine tuning to optimize it for track use, but that’s obviously been done before, by Pericak’s team!

Personally, I’m voting for a pre-installed nitrous oxide system, but am also guessing that the Feds might have an issue with that.

High Gear Mediaexternal-link.png editorial director Marty Padgett suggests a smoky-burnout feature for the launch control for drivers who can’t execute a proper brake stand on their own. This would be awesome, for sure, and is well within the realm of possibility.

In any event, it may be quite a while before we find out. The 2015 Mustang doesn’t go on sale until next Fall.

Have any ideas while we wait? Let us know in the comments section.

The track apps with the Christmas tree is one of the real cool things I like about my 13. It will be interesting to find out what the new gadget will be on the 15.

One thing interesting about the pic above is that you can see the center double gauge pod which I believe is only on the turbo 4 car. The 5.0 GT has an additional vent there. What I'm not fully clear about yet is if the turbo 4 is only available as a GT or if you can get a base model with the 4? I did read that somewhere but can't find it now.

I am curious what the new 2.3 turbo will be like. I remember the older 2.3 hand grenade motor from the turbo Thunderbird Coupe.

Myself also, but one extremely impressive thing compared to the old SVO is over 90% Torque at 1500 RPM. That certainly will be interesting to give a whirl in.

My DD is a 2007 Mazda CX7 with the 2.3 Turbo. Which is rated at 244HP and 258 ft lb. This combo might have been the cats ass 6 years ago but now it won't get out of it's own way sometimes. The lag is WAY to long and the only fun I have is with the what I call is man-u-shift. I know that the Eco-Boost has twin turbos so those will do the trick. Can't wait to drive the I4 and the 5.0 when they come out. And the mileage on this car sucks, summer and winter.

The only thing I worry about is the Antenna location on the Coupes. When on Trunk Lid and loosened up, they leaked and you just tightened it up BUT, on the Roof, if they loosen up and leak, you have to pull down the Headliner.

My DD is a 2007 Mazda CX7 with the 2.3 Turbo. Which is rated at 244HP and 258 ft lb. This combo might have been the cats ass 6 years ago but now it won't get out of it's own way sometimes. The lag is WAY to long and the only fun I have is with the what I call is man-u-shift. I know that the Eco-Boost has twin turbos so those will do the trick. Can't wait to drive the I4 and the 5.0 when they come out. And the mileage on this car sucks, summer and winter.

I absolutely HATED the 3.5L Ecoboost in my 2011 F-150 4x4 King Ranch SCREW.

It's one of the primary reasons I only owned the truck for a year and traded it in on my 2012 F-150 Raptor SCREW. The turbo lag was sickening and the (highway) gas mileage was atrocious. I get about the same hwy. mileage with my 6.2L naturally aspirated V-8 Raptor as I did with my 3.5L Ecoboost V-6.

Phill

The track apps with the Christmas tree is one of the real cool things I like about my 13. It will be interesting to find out what the new gadget will be on the 15.

One thing interesting about the pic above is that you can see the center double gauge pod which I believe is only on the turbo 4 car. The 5.0 GT has an additional vent there. What I'm not fully clear about yet is if the turbo 4 is only available as a GT or if you can get a base model with the 4? I did read that somewhere but can't find it now.

I don't think that's accurate. The car they had on GMA was suppose to be an Eco boost and it didn't have the gauges. Yet the 5.0 that was at Venice beach does. I don't know for sure though :/

Phil

You are the only person i have heard complain about the 3.5 ecoboost. I have a 12' F150 SCREW 3.5 and this thing rocks. I am not sure how a 6.2L gets the same mileage as a 3.5EB? I have driven both have a buddy that has a 6.2 raptor xcab and that truck has never seen over 15

Phil

You are the only person i have heard complain about the 3.5 ecoboost. I have a 12' F150 SCREW 3.5 and this thing rocks. I am not sure how a 6.2L gets the same mileage as a 3.5EB? I have driven both have a buddy that has a 6.2 raptor xcab and that truck has never seen over 15

I think there was something wrong with it, counter to what the dealer says.

I was headed from CO to CA and expecting to get 22mpg plus. I was getting 12.5 the whole trip (not towing, with a bed topper on it!).

My Raptor gets a *easy* 13 mpg on the freeway at 75-80 mph (posted limit and I generally cruise about 5 over) and 12 mpg around town.

The King Ranch also had sirrius that cut out when going under ANY overpass, including pedestrian overpasses. The dealer said THAT was normal too. But they couldn't explain why my 2010 Shelby Mustang doesn't do it, or my wife's 2011 Flex doesn't do it, or how my 2012 Raptor (SAME EXACT cab configuration) doesn't do it either. I told them it had a bad antenna but they sold it 'as is' anyway.

I told them about the poor mileage too but they said there wasn't anything wrong with it.

I'd push the gas to cross a intersection (admittedly, cutting it 'close' with oncoming traffic) and SHIT myself when it wouldn't get out of the way until the turbo spooled up.

Just not enough 'engine' when it's NA (3.5 pushing a 7K lb. truck DOESN'T GET IT!) and waiting for that turbo to spool up got me into trouble more times than I care to remember.

Phill

I don't think that's accurate. The car they had on GMA was suppose to be an Eco boost and it didn't have the gauges. Yet the 5.0 that was at Venice beach does. I don't know for sure though :/

Maybe they have a couple different center gauge options. I wonder what the second gauge was on the 5.0 as on the TT4, one of the gauges is a VAC/Boost gauge.

I absolutely HATED the 3.5L Ecoboost in my 2011 F-150 4x4 King Ranch SCREW.

It's one of the primary reasons I only owned the truck for a year and traded it in on my 2012 F-150 Raptor SCREW. The turbo lag was sickening and the (highway) gas mileage was atrocious. I get about the same hwy. mileage with my 6.2L naturally aspirated V-8 Raptor as I did with my 3.5L Ecoboost V-6.

Phill

I love my ecoboost 2011 F-150 Lariat 4x4. I get 17 in the city and when I tow i get 13. It accelerates way better than the 5.4 I had. I guess you got a lemon.

As for the sirius, it will lose signal under objects, thats why I don't use it. (although I never turn on the radio anyway-I prefer a controlled environment listening room)

I'd bet on a something with launch control. Maybe you can plug in a laptop / smartphone and get telemetry data like a pit crew.

For the EcoBoost issues - what kind of gas were you using? Someone here at work told me it requires premium fuel and regular unleaded the engine will run terrible.

For the EcoBoost issues - what kind of gas were you using? Someone here at work told me it requires premium fuel and regular unleaded the engine will run terrible.

Hmm. I'm pretty sure I was using the RECOMMENDED 87 octane (R+M/2) regular gasoline. I think I would have remembered having to use Premium and I don't so that's why I say "pretty sure".

Whatever FoMoCo recommened is what I used.

I'm also pretty sure I never tried Premium.

All was good with it until a trip out to Cali. I drive up I-25 to C-470 then over to I-70. The INSTANT I hit I-70 and started climbing the hill (11,000' summit) the gas mileage fell to 12.6 and pretty much stayed there the rest of the trip with both indicated on the DIC and with a calculator.

Phill

this may be the answer

Mustang's secret feature revealed?
Published December 09, 2013
FoxNews.com
  • Barcelona_MustangReveal_1.jpg
    Ford

Turns out the 2015 Ford Mustang may literally be smoking.

At the unveiling of the all-new car in New York City last week, Mustang Chief Engineer Dave Pericak told FoxNews.com that it had a secret feature that would be revealed at a later date, something that would “play to the kid inside of us,” and be an original equipment manufacturer first.

When we asked a few automotive journalists to take a guess at what it might be, High Gear Media editorial director Marty Padgett suggested a burnout feature, and he may have hit it right on the nose.

Following up on the suggestion, a reliable source confirmed to Padgettexternal-link.png that a burnout feature was indeed on the way. Details on how it will work have yet to be revealed, but it essentially would be the first factory equipped line-lock, a system used by drag racers that applies the front tires independent of the rears to make it easier to do a brake stand at the strip, or in front of the local 7-Eleven.

That is assuming it’s for real.

When contacted by FoxNews.com about the report, a Ford spokesperson would only say that “more information about the all-new Mustang will be released as we get closer to launch next year.”

Just how smoky a launch they have planned is yet to be seen.

ooooooh.......line lock feature would be awesome!

Phil, there had to be something wrong with your truck. Buddy of mine at work has a supercrew ecoboost and we compare fuel mileage every week. I've been getting 26 with my V6 Mustang and he is regularly around 22-23 with his truck. His drive here in Denver is about the same as mine, but he lives just up the hill from Boulder. He runs 87 octane in his truck. When he goes up to Vail, he usually gets around 19-20 average trip.

I think there was something wrong with it, counter to what the dealer says.

I was headed from CO to CA and expecting to get 22mpg plus. I was getting 12.5 the whole trip (not towing, with a bed topper on it!).

My Raptor gets a *easy* 13 mpg on the freeway at 75-80 mph (posted limit and I generally cruise about 5 over) and 12 mpg around town.

The King Ranch also had sirrius that cut out when going under ANY overpass, including pedestrian overpasses. The dealer said THAT was normal too. But they couldn't explain why my 2010 Shelby Mustang doesn't do it, or my wife's 2011 Flex doesn't do it, or how my 2012 Raptor (SAME EXACT cab configuration) doesn't do it either. I told them it had a bad antenna but they sold it 'as is' anyway.

I told them about the poor mileage too but they said there wasn't anything wrong with it.

I'd push the gas to cross a intersection (admittedly, cutting it 'close' with oncoming traffic) and SHIT myself when it wouldn't get out of the way until the turbo spooled up.

Just not enough 'engine' when it's NA (3.5 pushing a 7K lb. truck DOESN'T GET IT!) and waiting for that turbo to spool up got me into trouble more times than I care to remember.

Phill

Phill, you had a lemon. I'm averaging 13.5 around town and I have 2500 miles on the engine (2013 Platinum 4x4). I love this truck, much better than my 2010 Platinum with the 5.4L. By the way, my Sirius cuts out a little going under bridges too.

Rich from Hyperstangs has a photo of a 2015 White w/Blue OTT stripes and GT350 rocker stripes on his Facebook page. It has the Shelby Cobra on the sides (just like the current GT500's) and looks pretty official.

I'd expect he probably posted the photo somewhere here on TS too. If not, I'll try to copy/paste it here.

Phill

I've got the eco boost 6 banger in the Edge Sport and it gets around 24-25 hwy and 20 - 21 around town. Back on topic, I'm thinking launch control as well.

Rich from Hyperstangs has a photo of a 2015 White w/Blue OTT stripes and GT350 rocker stripes on his Facebook page. It has the Shelby Cobra on the sides (just like the current GT500's) and looks pretty official.

I'd expect he probably posted the photo somewhere here on TS too. If not, I'll try to copy/paste it here.

Phill

Phill,

That's the same picture in this thread I believe. It is photo shopped.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/83361-new-2015-shelby-gt350/?hl=%2B2015+%2Bshelby

Phill,

That's the same picture in this thread I believe. It is photo shopped.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/83361-new-2015-shelby-gt350/?hl=%2B2015+%2Bshelby

Yeah, I saw it after posting that.

Is the front splitter/grille photo chopped in too?

Phill

Archived