TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need Traction Help - Asap - 2011 Convertible With Tvs

yell03

I might have no options now that temps are in the 30s, but here goes.

I have a 2011 GT500 with a TVS swap, no other options except for Roush Axleback.

It made 590rwhp/573rwtq SAE compared to a 13 GT500 that made 568rwhp that same day on the same dyno, but for arguments sake, let's say it makes the same power as a 13 GT500.

However, where the new GT500 has taller rear gears (3.31s) and taller tranny gears which helps tame all the low end torque, the 2011 GT500 has a 3.55 rear combined with a lower geared tranny, it is the perfect storm for traction problems.

Knowing the cold weather was coming I swapped the terrible stock Goodyear F1s for Michelin Pilot A/S 3 all-season radials 255/40/19 fronts and 285/35/19 rears. The Michelin's were actually much better in the warm weather.

On a 70 degree sunny day I could hook in 2nd from a roll.

Now that temps are in the 30s, it is a different story.
Today I stabbed it at 65-70mph in 3rd and broke traction and 2nd will get crazy squirelly at any speed. Let's not talk about 1st.

I am afraid to try a full throttle 1-2 shift at high rpms on the street.

I might just have to deal with these tires and wheels in the cold, but maybe there is some suspension work that would help plant the caricon1.png better in the cold and maybe there is a better fall, spring, & summer tire and wheel package for the dry, keep in mind this is a rain or shine daily driver.

I think the car could surely benefit from a wider tire, 285 is just not enough contact patch.

My 450hp Viper had 335s and spun through them (I went to Kumho R compounds) and my C6 Z06 had 325s.
Neither car had the brute power of the GT500 with the TVS.

My 490rwhp SAE 03 Cobra did fine on 275/40/17s, either BFG KDWs or Drag Radials.

My 461rwhp 92 LX was fine on smaller Nitto DRs

Lots of you guys/gals are making way more power than me, give me some PROVEN options.

I am turning 50 in December and my familylb_icon1.png would like to give me the gift of LIFE in the form of traction.
Let's try to keep the cost to a minimum if possible and remember this is for a Convertibleicon1.png.

Running 295s on the 07 with around 600 RWHP and 373s. Our 500s do not go out at that temp! Around 45 we do drive but with care. Cold temps = more hp and less traction not a good combo. I would say only a 1 inch block under the gas pedal will help traction at temps in the 30 s

Running 295s on the 07 with around 600 RWHP and 373s. Our 500s do not go out at that temp! Around 45 we do drive but with care. Cold temps = more hp and less traction not a good combo. I would say only a 1 inch block under the gas pedal will help traction at temps in the 30 s

That's an idea, lol

• 1 month later...

Archived