TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Surgery!

Hays1967

I have had a Trans Shift issue since the day I got her. When she was cold she shifted hard and sometimes grinded in second or third. After 1500 miles I started to get concerned and started watching a little more closely but to my dismay it seemed to be already to late.

About 4 days ago I decided to go for a little unwind "140mph Tension therapy" when I noticed that she would not shift in to 6th gear, I started to slow down and found she didn’t want to shift into 4th either....

At about 70mph she went in to 4th and then let out a loud Squeal for about 3 seconds. After this she didn’t like shifting at any speeds over 40 mph.

I posted on the Trans problems forums here and within 24hrs I had an email from a SVT engineer "wow" who has been a GREAT help.

She "Shelby" is now in the shop ready to go under the knife and a Trans and clutch is on the way "I am told it is RED Tagged"

I understand that Shit Happens I just wish it didn’t happen to me...: censored:

So the Clock starts that I Don’t have my Shelby, Lets hope it doesn’t run long.

On the Bright side I wish I could give a Shout out to the people at SVT who are making this a little less painful but they have asked to remain anonymous.

My point of the post is that if you are having a shifting problem look into it before you eat your Trans, She should shift Smooth at all conditions, if she is shifting hard get her looked at...

post-8247-1179448016_thumb.jpg

post-8247-1179448016_thumb.jpg

I have the same problem when it's cold only. The shift will click\grind into 2nd gear, but once it's warm it's fine. Please keep us informed on any further info you get and I hope you get your car back shortly.

I must have missed your earlier post, but how did you make out from the fire you had? During my first oil change I removed the shield to my fuel filter and made sure the plastic snaps were closed and secure. Problem putting the cover back on though with stud breaking off. Anyone removing fuel filter shield, be careful tightening.

What was your build date? There was another guy on here whose tranny went out a month or two back and I think his was the first week or two in November.

awatters had his go out, and so did the Sweden guy...pcjcobra97 or something like that.

Hays, did they say what the root cause is? You say both trans and clutch...is the clutch causing the trans to mess up, or the other way around? More info appreciated if you know anything. Thanks.

Dave

I have the same problem when it's cold only. The shift will click\grind into 2nd gear, but once it's warm it's fine. Please keep us informed on any further info you get and I hope you get your car back shortly.

I must have missed your earlier post, but how did you make out from the fire you had? During my first oil change I removed the shield to my fuel filter and made sure the plastic snaps were closed and secure. Problem putting the cover back on though with stud breaking off. Anyone removing fuel filter shield, be careful tightening.

Brian

My Car has the exact same symptom, 2nd Gear crunch only when its cold. Now showing 6019 Miles, built on 8/6/06.

Hays1967,

hope all goes well with yours. That really sucks.

Brian

My Car has the exact same symptom, 2nd Gear crunch only when its cold. Now showing 6019 Miles, built on 8/6/06.

Hays1967,

hope all goes well with yours. That really sucks.

Mine has been since day 1. Doesn't seem to be any worse now from day 1. I now have roughly 2,500 miles on mine and it's completed build-date was August 30th.

awatters had his go out, and so did the Sweden guy...pcjcobra97 or something like that.

Hays, did they say what the root cause is? You say both trans and clutch...is the clutch causing the trans to mess up, or the other way around? More info appreciated if you know anything. Thanks.

Dave

The Swedes tranny is still OK!

pcjcobra97 is Dutch! :)

/ Nick

Mine has been since day 1. Doesn't seem to be any worse now from day 1. I now have roughly 2,500 miles on mine and it's completed build-date was August 30th.

The 2nd gear crunch is avoidable by pushing the pedal completely to the floor and a relativity slow shift, for the first shift into 2nd of the day. Mine had the very same thing until I started making a conscious effort when it's cold. Try it, it works for me.

Myself and many others with the Bullitt mustang had the same transmission problems (cold shifting grind). We tried switching manual transmission fluids and found some relief with GM syncromesh (did I say that). I tried GM syncromesh, Redline and Amsoil, but found the best fix was switching to Royal Purple's Synchromax.

The 2nd gear crunch is avoidable by pushing the pedal completely to the floor and a relativity slow shift, for the first shift into 2nd of the day. Mine had the very same thing until I started making a conscious effort when it's cold. Try it, it works for me.

Wow. I'm surprised so many people seem to have some grinding going into 2nd. Mine does it as well, and has since day one. I was debating taking it into the shop to have someone look at it.

Fire? That wasnt me..... thank God!

Dave

It’s apparent that the Trans is making metal but they are sending the assembly back to ford for diagnosis and to figure out the root cause.

Before I even leave the driveway I instinctively go through the first through third shift pattern with the clutch in while the engine is warming up. It's nervous habit I've had since my '82 5.0. Then I put it in neutral and let the clutch out and let it warm up thoroughly. My Shelby shifts just fine when I finally put it in motion and I don't baby it. In fact, the first to second shift is the one I hit hardest. I wonder if putting it through the 1st to 3rd gear shift pattern while it sits is helping avoid the problem?

I have had a Trans Shift issue since the day I got her. When she was cold she shifted hard and sometimes grinded in second or third. After 1500 miles I started to get concerned and started watching a little more closely but to my dismay it seemed to be already to late.

About 4 days ago I decided to go for a little unwind "140mph Tension therapy" when I noticed that she would not shift in to 6th gear, I started to slow down and found she didn’t want to shift into 4th either....

At about 70mph she went in to 4th and then let out a loud Squeal for about 3 seconds. After this she didn’t like shifting at any speeds over 40 mph.

I posted on the Trans problems forums here and within 24hrs I had an email from a SVT engineer "wow" who has been a GREAT help.

She "Shelby" is now in the shop ready to go under the knife and a Trans and clutch is on the way "I am told it is RED Tagged"

On the Bright side I wish I could give a Shout out to the people at SVT who are making this a little less painful but they have asked to remain anonymous.

My point of the post is that if you are having a shifting problem look into it before you eat your Trans, She should shift Smooth at all conditions, if she is shifting hard get her looked at...

I seem to have the same shifting problem , when its cold from 1st to 2nd its alittle grind into 2nd but after it warms up its ok .....question does it have to be a SVT dealer or any ford shop can work on your trans.......the reason I ask its 2 hours away to a SVT dealer .....from where i live.

Sorry to hear that Hays. I have the other performance white and blue GT500 in town. Blowing the doors of that Z06 Vette at the Reno/Fernley Racetrack is legendary. Did you get it from Jones West, or what? I hope you get her back soon.

I saw a guy in a white with double stripes Dodge Magnum SRT8 stationwagon last night on Rock Blvd. He showed a lot of interest in the Shelby. I heard you raced one of those SRT8's too. Probably not the same guy?

post-6152-1179521325_thumb.jpg

post-6152-1179521325_thumb.jpg

With the Bullitt Mustang several folks had their transmissions replaced only to find the same "cold" shift grind return. Once warmed up it improved or went away all together. As Chuckstang said above it's not uncommon with Mustangs. Now if you change the fluid and find metal chunks in it that's another thing.

I wonder if the root cause has to do with the operating temperature of the clutch hydraulic fluid. Perhaps our cars are still too cold the clutch does not generate sufficient pressure to satisfactorily engage the gears. Once warm, the pressure builds and the clutch becomes fully engaged. The reason I say this is I've tried to mash the clutch pedal to the floor to no avail. Mine does the same thing from 1st to 2nd when cold. But, like others have stated, I'm used to this. My terminator does the same damn thing and she doesn't have a hydraulic clutch - go figure. Insofar as this being a problem, I really don't think so. I'm running 675 hp to the wheels with my Kenne Bell and I get on her real nasty with no problems. Further, I've had a few dyno runs with no slipping whatsoever. So, if you can live with it (so long as it doesn't make crazy noises like the thread owner describes, and eventually it feels fine) I don't see a need to worry about it.

Regards,

FordGeek (Joseph)

Sorry to hear that Hays. I have the other performance white and blue GT500 in town. Blowing the doors of that Z06 Vette at the Reno/Fernley Racetrack is legendary. Did you get it from Jones West, or what? I hope you get her back soon.

I saw a guy in a white with double stripes Dodge Magnum SRT8 stationwagon last night on Rock Blvd. He showed a lot of interest in the Shelby. I heard you raced one of those SRT8's too. Probably not the same guy?

The guy with the SRT8 is a friend of mine who ownes a local Repair Shop, I had to go out of town to get her, Jones West was having trouble getting another at that time.

When I get her back we should go out and pick on the local Corvets.... :hysterical:

post-8247-1179533497_thumb.jpg

post-8247-1179533497_thumb.jpg

I wonder if the root cause has to do with the operating temperature of the clutch hydraulic fluid. Perhaps our cars are still too cold the clutch does not generate sufficient pressure to satisfactorily engage the gears. Once warm, the pressure builds and the clutch becomes fully engaged. The reason I say this is I've tried to mash the clutch pedal to the floor to no avail. Mine does the same thing from 1st to 2nd when cold. But, like others have stated, I'm used to this. My terminator does the same damn thing and she doesn't have a hydraulic clutch - go figure. Insofar as this being a problem, I really don't think so. I'm running 675 hp to the wheels with my Kenne Bell and I get on her real nasty with no problems. Further, I've had a few dyno runs with no slipping whatsoever. So, if you can live with it (so long as it doesn't make crazy noises like the thread owner describes, and eventually it feels fine) I don't see a need to worry about it.

Regards,

FordGeek (Joseph)

With the way the Syncros are set up in this transmission its more likely that the cold second gear grind is due to lack of lubrication caused by the fluid draining after sitting for a bit. It more than likely is a condition inherent to these transmissions and with a little common since and a little soft shifting while the system lubricates itself, damage can be avoided.

But when she lets out a loud Yelp and then doesn’t like to shift at all, that’s a good sign you need to have something looked at!

I am currently looking into some type of “Friction Modifier” like Fords Fish Oil that can be added to the transmission to help with this concern. If I find out something I will post it.

post-8247-1179534165_thumb.jpg

post-8247-1179534165_thumb.jpg

The guy with the SRT8 is a friend of mine who ownes a local Repair Shop, I had to go out of town to get her, Jones West was having trouble getting another at that time.

When I get her back we should go out and pick on the local Corvets.... :hysterical:

I think the Z06 will have problems dealing with the Shelby Super Snake Package. It used to be Mustang versus Camero now it's Shelby Mustang versus Corvette. God Bless Carrol Shelby! Kyle with Barnes Transports claims to know you.

Would like to check my fuel line now. That fuel smell must be a stench. How do you get that out?

Ford Fish Oil for extra lube to prevent transmission problems eh?

I think the Z06 will have problems dealing with the Shelby Super Snake Package. It used to be Mustang versus Camero now it's Shelby Mustang versus Corvette. God Bless Carrol Shelby! Kyle with Barnes Transports claims to know you.

Would like to check my fuel line now. That fuel smell must be a stench. How do you get that out?

Ford Fish Oil for extra lube to prevent transmission problems eh?

Ford had a Friction Modifier that was used in chatering rear Diffs NickNamed Fish Oil "Due to its Smell" that is what i was refering to.

The Fuel Line is under your Drivers Seat.

• 5 weeks later...

Hays,

What did they find out was the root cause of your problem. I just read thru the entire thread and don't see it ? :baby:

Archived