TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Racing Brake Pad Question

mark.barton

I have actually done this once or twice. Although the majority of the braking effort is on the front, I still had disproportionate wear in the rear. I know changing pads on the rear of a stock system is a pain, its best to do just that

I have actually done this once or twice. Although the majority of the braking effort is on the front, I still had disproportionate wear in the rear. I know changing pads on the rear of a stock system is a pain, its best to do just that

I never thought of this in terms of convenience, so maybe I was over thinking it. By using street pads on the rear with a harder race pad on the front, my thought was that this is a way to slightly alter the brake balance on the car to try and prevent rear brake lockup under hard braking. I've seen several manufacturers of racing pads say to use one compound on the front and a different compound on the rear under certain conditions and I was thinking this was a track day variation of the same idea.

Mark

Well Mark , I was going to write a big long essay on why but , the bottom line is that the front brakes do have the tendency to fade on folks tracking their street cars and a front race pad is the best way to prevent that while using a high performance street rear pad helps ensure that you won't get too much rear brake causing the back end of the car to dance around under heavy braking . That , plus making sure that you turn off the TCS , flush your brake fluid , and use of a quality brake fluid will ensure the safest set up . It's like asking why one would use DOT tires on a car instead of true race slicks on a track - because it's a reasonable compromise that works . It's still a street car but being used in a "race environment". Hope that helps .

Well Mark , I was going to write a big long essay on why but , the bottom line is that the front brakes do have the tendency to fade on folks tracking their street cars and a front race pad is the best way to prevent that while using a high performance street rear pad helps ensure that you won't get too much rear brake causing the back end of the car to dance around under heavy braking . That , plus making sure that you turn off the TCS , flush your brake fluid , and use of a quality brake fluid will ensure the safest set up . It's like asking why one would use DOT tires on a car instead of true race slicks on a track - because it's a reasonable compromise that works . It's still a street car but being used in a "race environment". Hope that helps .

gotcha. so, it's good to have lighter braking in the rear. that's good since I've ordered the hawk hps already and plan on getting the raybestos before the next track day.

I'm curious about this as well. a seemingly popular combo is the hawk hps for street use with raybestos st43 on the front at the track. why not do hawk hp + for the street / rear on track days? is it the compound compatibility.

You can use the HP+ in the rear with the ST43s up front . Both the HPS and the HP+ are Ferro-Carbon material however the HP+ pads are made for higher temps , don't last as long , and are harder on rotors . Some feel the HP+ are a little more grabbier than the HPS which the ABS system may interact earlier than it will with using the HPS. If you find that you cook the HPS pads in the rear then I would suggest that you go to the HP+ pads or spend more time on the gas pedal than on the brake pedal. Hey JMO !

This makes sense and basically confirms what I was thinking. A less grippy pad in the rear to prevent brake lockup and stabilize the car. I always like to take the opportunity to learn something new and after reading about Mark's experience with the EBC pads (and not wanting to co-op the forum thread), I thought I would ask.

spend more time on the gas pedal than on the brake pedal

+100000000000!

Mark

You can use the HP+ in the rear with the ST43s up front . Both the HPS and the HP+ are Ferro-Carbon material however the HP+ pads are made for higher temps , don't last as long , and are harder on rotors . Some feel the HP+ are a little more grabbier than the HPS which the ABS system may interact earlier than it will with using the HPS. If you find that you cook the HPS pads in the rear then I would suggest that you go to the HP+ pads or spend more time on the gas pedal than on the brake pedal. Hey JMO !

Good info! I received my replacement rotors in the mail today. Still waiting on the hawk hps. Another b.j. coming my way. Brake job that is.

I use HP+ on both ends (GT500 Brembos on the front)

I have yet to ever lock up my rear brakes..

The pads wear excellent on both ends and easy on the rotors.

Now after 4yrs and 15+ track days I'm still on the orginal set of rotors and 3rd set of HP+ pads

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post, however I need some advise. I run Daytona and Sebring and I am looking for new brake pads. I am using EBC yellow stuff and they just didn't seem to get it done at Daytona. I am reading all this info about different pads for front and back. Ice mode and ABS. I have never experienced any of these problems. I have never felt the ABS activate on my bake system. I am using 14" rotors front and rear. I would like to go deeper in the corners before braking.

• 1 month later...

Any thoughts or opinions on Carbotech pads? Some of the local folks seem to like them based on price\performance and rotor wear vs Hawk.

Pushed the limits of my Hawk HPS setup a couple weeks ago. Looking for a little more bite and want to move from a street\track pad to a dedicated track setup.

Barry,

I realize this conversation could to turn into one of those "my brake pads are best" arguments, but from a price point, the setup Albino suggests is a pretty inexpensive way to go for a race pad setup. If you want to spend a little more money, I would, IMHO, look at Performance Friction race pads. PFC pads were the pad of choice for the FR500C and the BOSS 302S & Rs from the factory.

Mark

Barry,

I realize this conversation could to turn into one of those "my brake pads are best" arguments, but from a price point, the setup Albino suggests is a pretty inexpensive way to go for a race pad setup. If you want to spend a little more money, I would, IMHO, look at Performance Friction race pads. PFC pads were the pad of choice for the FR500C and the BOSS 302S & Rs from the factory.

Mark

This is true. I believe they were PFC01s in front and PFC97s compounds in the rear.

Albino is correct. That was the factory setup. Fact is, FRPP still has sets of rear pads left over from the FR500C program listed on their website last time I looked.

If you are interested in the PFC pads Barry, call Performance Friction, tell them what you are wanting to do and they will recommend a setup for you, along with the part numbers.

Mark

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Performance Friction just in case someone was wondering. But I have been using their Z-Rated pads for both street and track day duty and they have performed extremely well.

• 4 months later...

Based on some friendly advice and lots of reading, I finally settled on a setup for my next track event in Nov. -> indicates new setup choice.

Front Pads - HAWK HPS 5.0 -> Carbotech XP10's

Read Pads - HAWK HPS 5.0

Front Rotors - Stoptech Drilled -> Stock, freshly turned

Rear Rotors - Stock '13-'14 13.8" with caliper adapter

Fluid - Motul 5.1 -> Motul 600

Brake Cooling kit

BOSS 302 brake lines

I'll report back how this worked in a few months. This will be my first run with dedicate race pads up front. Eager to experience the difference.

Archived