TEAM SHELBY FORUM

oil leak anyone?

I have 6000 miles, no problems mechanically. Went to my dealer for an oil change and was told I have a small leak in the front cover seal and need to have it repaired. They want the car for one full week to do this! Of course, I'd document the milage etc. I am suspicious. Any thoughts? I plan to have it inspected from another dealer and see what they say.

I have 6000 miles, no problems mechanically. Went to my dealer for an oil change and was told I have a small leak in the front cover seal and need to have it repaired. They want the car for one full week to do this! Of course, I'd document the milage etc. I am suspicious. Any thoughts? I plan to have it inspected from another dealer and see what they say.

Looks like you have posted in the GT500 forum instead of SGT forum, more people with same car over there. Edit: sorry about that mistake. Did you see the oil leak yourself?

I am a Ford Master Tech and this seems a little extreme to me.

I could see the repair being a Day or Maybe Two depending on the Position and severity of the Leak. As far as the Week at the dealership, they are probably doing this to help out with the Scheduling issues the Dispatcher may have.

I agree that you should take the car home and have the dealership call you when the parts are in, prior to this it would be good for them to rack the car and show you the leak.

If the leak is present and verified by you, have them order the parts and then set up an appointment for you to leave the car for a day or two for the repair.

My Shelby will be in the shop for a week for a Tran’s replacement but I have a great relationship with the dealership and trust them completely.

I hope this helps and good luck.

post-8247-1179448648_thumb.jpg

post-8247-1179448648_thumb.jpg

Tell them to get the gaskets and then you'll bring it in.

Scott

+1 I just recently had my car in and they kept it for four days while they waited for the replacement air filter and fuel pump. They assured me it would be locked up in their prep area. They ened up putting 10 miles on her to 'test' drive it. They did fix the problem but I am really pissed the miles AND they repaired a small stone chip for me on the hood BUT while doing so got over spray from somewhere in the body shop. I now have some sort of overspray on the top of my car. Feels like fine sand paper. I am totally beside myself. I am going to give them one more chance to make it right. Dropping it off tomorrow morning for a buffing out. Man I hate this shit.... I know not all dealers are like this but come on. The quality control sucks at this dealer. I will not be going back to them. Damn I hate leaving this car with anyone.

+1 I just recently had my car in and they kept it for four days while they waited for the replacement air filter and fuel pump. They assured me it would be locked up in their prep area. They ened up putting 10 miles on her to 'test' drive it. They did fix the problem but I am really pissed the miles AND they repaired a small stone chip for me on the hood BUT while doing so got over spray from somewhere in the body shop. I now have some sort of overspray on the top of my car. Feels like fine sand paper. I am totally beside myself. I am going to give them one more chance to make it right. Dropping it off tomorrow morning for a buffing out. Man I hate this shit.... I know not all dealers are like this but come on. The quality control sucks at this dealer. I will not be going back to them. Damn I hate leaving this car with anyone.

I wouldn't let them buff it out. They're going to be angry for you bringing it back and do a half ass job. I'd insist they pay a qualified detailer to resolve your concern.

Buffing can remove over 110% of the clear coat with one pass...... 110%... and yes I said 110% with one pass, even more if the person doesn’t know what they are doing!

You won’t notice if the clear coat has been removed for over a year or two, until the color change starts.

Keep in mind we are not talking about a 1993 Tempo here we are talking about a 2007 Shelby GT500.

Due to the fact that they did not take care of it the first and second time, what makes you think they will take care of her the third time?

Take her to another dealership to have the paint repaired. They can back charge or direct charge the screwed up dealership.

I wouldn't let them buff it out. They're going to be angry for you bringing it back and do a half ass job. I'd insist they pay a qualified detailer to resolve your concern.

+1, I wouldn't let them touch it with a ten foot pole.

I am a Ford Master Tech and this seems a little extreme to me.

I could see the repair being a Day or Maybe Two depending on the Position and severity of the Leak. As far as the Week at the dealership, they are probably doing this to help out with the Scheduling issues the Dispatcher may have.

I agree that you should take the car home and have the dealership call you when the parts are in, prior to this it would be good for them to rack the car and show you the leak.

If the leak is present and verified by you, have them order the parts and then set up an appointment for you to leave the car for a day or two for the repair.

My Shelby will be in the shop for a week for a Tran’s replacement but I have a great relationship with the dealership and trust them completely.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Could you please explain why it is taking a week to change your transmission? This is an eight hour job max, including taking breaks and servicing it back up. I am disappointed with some Ford dealerships for taking so long to repair some of the other members cars and Ford for failing to provide parts in a timely manner.

When does this dealer BS stop...no more Fords for me! I hope they go BK!

Could you please explain why it is taking a week to change your transmission? This is an eight hour job max, including taking breaks and servicing it back up. I am disappointed with some Ford dealerships for taking so long to repair some of the other members cars and Ford for failing to provide parts in a timely manner.

This great service is part of the ADM...when will it end...it won't. I will never buy another Ford and will only deal with Shelby Motors for future upgrades.

The way the process is supposed to work.

1. You bring in your GT500 and tell the Service advisor what you THINK is wrong with

it.

2. Dispatcher gives your R.O. to who he feels is qualified to do the repair

3. Tech racks your vehicle and performs what is called “Pinpoint Tests” to confirm what

is Damaged or what is the causal part.

4. The Tech Goes to the Back Parts Counter and Obtains the Part Numbers of what

needs to be replaced.

5. The Tech Goes to the Service Advisor and recommends a repair.

6. Service advisor confirms that the items are covered under warranty

7. Service Advisor tells the Tech to go ahead with the repair.

8. Tech goes to the back parts counter and requests parts.

9. Parts Counter Guy tells Tech that not all the parts are in and that he needs to order a

part or two.

10. Parts counter guy orders parts

11. Tech removes the car from the rack and gets another job.

12. Parts come in.

13. Parts counter guy tells the Dispatcher that the parts are in.

14. Dispatcher informs the Tech that the parts are in

15. Tech finishes the job he is on.

16. Tech Pushes your GT500 back in to his stall

17. Tech installs the new parts.

18. Tech Test drives your car and confirms the repair.

19. Tech turns the finished paperwork into the Warranty Clerk.

20. Warranty clerk inputs all the Necessary information into the computer “Trouble

codes, Pinpoint tests act"

21. Warranty clerk gives the paperwork to the dispatcher who closes out the R.O. “Repair

Order"

22. Dispatcher Informs the Service advisor that the car is repaired.

23. Service advisor calls you.

24. You pick up your car.

post-8247-1179603679_thumb.jpg

post-8247-1179603679_thumb.jpg

The way It actually works.

1. You bring in your GT500 and tell the Service advisor what you THINK is wrong with

it.

3. Unfortunately the Tech can’t start your job yet because he has 4 other cars he is

working on at the moment

4. A day or two later when he is some what caught up the Tech gets your car in,

racks your vehicle and performs what is called “Pinpoint Tests” to confirm what

is Damaged or what is the causal part. Several Test Drives, Some with the shop

foreman. 10 miles is not un natural for some diagnosis.

5. The Tech Goes to the Back Parts Counter and gives his part number request form to

the Back Counter Guy who is so busy that it takes him a couple of hours to finish it.

5. The Tech knows that it is going to be a while to get his part numbers so he Pushes out

your GT500

6. Tech Gets another Job

7. Parts Counter Guy Sees the Tech at lunch and tells him that the GT500 Trans Is a SVT

item and it will take a while to get but he can’t order it without a warranty

authorization form.

8. The Tech Goes to the Service Advisor with part numbers in hand and recommends a

repair.

9. Service advisor is so busy with a Pissed off customer at that moment so he says “leave

it on my desk and I will get to it”.

10. The next morning the Service advisor sees the Warranty request Form on his desk and

confirms that the items are covered under warranty.

11. Service Advisor tells the Tech to go ahead with the repair.

12. Tech takes the Warranty authorization to the parts guy who is so busy he can’t get to

it at that moment.

13. Hours later that parts guy orders that parts.

14. Parts come in and the Parts Counter Guy tells the Dispatcher that the Parts are in.

15. Dispatcher tells the Service advisor that the parts are in.

16. Service advisor tells the tech.

17. Tech tells the Service advisor that he is on another job “the Pissed off Customer from

days ago” and can’t get to it until the morning.

18. The next morning the tech goes to the Dispatcher and requests your car.

19. Dispatcher tells the Tech that there is a waiter “a waiting Customer” that he must

work on first.

20. Tech Finishes the Waiter and Pushes in your car.

21. Tech goes to the Back Parts Counter Guy and requests your parts.

22. Back Parts Counter Guy says I am busy right now but I will bring them out to you in

a while.

23. Tech starts prepping your car for the new parts “cleaning gasket material off act”

24. Back Parts Counter Guy brings out parts, but not all of them.

25. Tech has to hunt down the part that was lost in the receiving department

25. Tech Installs parts.

26. Tech Test drives your car and confirms the repair, it’s a GT500 so the shop foreman

must verify.

27. Tech drops off your car at the wash rack and tries to explain in Spanish why they

need to be careful with the GT500

28. Tech turns the finished paperwork into the Warranty Chick.

29. Tech Gets another Job from the Dispatcher.

30. Warranty Chick Call the Tech into the office due to the fact she can’t read one of the

DTC’s “Diagnosis Trouble Codes”

31. Tech then has to explain why he used up 4 hours of M time to Drill out that Bolt that

was Frozen in Place instead of just blowing off the head of the bolt with a torch and

forgetting about it.

32. Warranty Chick is a bitch and says she is going to back flag the Tech. “Take Money

out of his pocket”

33. Tech goes to the Shop Foreman and explains the situation.

34. Tech and Shop Foreman go to the manager and asks him to override the Warranty

Chick.

35. Manager Overrides the Warranty Chick.

36. Warranty Chick inputs all the Necessary information into the computer “Trouble

37. Warranty Chick Sits on the Paperwork and the next day finally gives the paperwork

to the dispatcher who closes out the R.O. “Repair Order"

38. Dispatcher Informs the Service advisor that the car is repaired.

39. Service advisor is to busy at that moment but that evening he calls you.

40. You pick up your car.

41. Before you drive out you notice that all you stations are no longer programmed “due

to the fact your battery was disconnected prior to the repair, in addition to this it is

turned to the local AM Mexican station from the Wash Rack Guys.

42. The Wash Rack Guys did a Half Ass job so you turn around and go back to the

Service Advisor.

43. You are a Pissed Off Customer and start yelling at the Service advisor.

44. While you are ranting, the Tech comes in with a Warrant request for another

customer but the service advisor is to busy with YOU to help him, so he tells him to

drop it off and he will get to it in the morning.

45. You blame the Oil Speck on the Tech who is called off his job and sent to the

Managers office. “He is a Tech NOT a P.H.C.W “Professional Hispanic Car Washer”

46. The Manager says as punishment he won’t authorize the M Time on your Repair so

the Tech just worked 4 Hours on your Car for Free “Remember that bolt that the Tech

took the time to replace properly’.

Can this take a Week?

post-8247-1179603856_thumb.jpg

post-8247-1179603856_thumb.jpg

it.

3. Tech racks your vehicle and performs what is called “Pinpoint Tests” to confirm what

needs to be replaced.

9. Parts Counter Guy tells Tech that not all the parts are in and that he needs to order a

part or two.

12. Parts come in.

20. Warranty clerk inputs all the Necessary information into the computer “Trouble

21. Warranty clerk gives the paperwork to the dispatcher who closes out the R.O. “Repair

Order"

Thanks to all for these responses. No oil drops below the car at all so if it exists, it must be small. I'll have them put it up and show me the leak.

DC, (and others showing concern for my paint issue)....

After inspecting the grit material on my car, it turns out the dealer clay barred my entire car and re-polished. I insisted that they not buff it out and they didn't. Their detail area did the work and they did make it right. She is back to show room condition. I know I gambled a bit but they assured me it would not be buffed and that the car would be restored to showroom condition. On a side note, although they rectified the issue, they did not apologize for their blunder AND the lady that had me sign for the loaner car told me to make sure I returned it with a full tank of gas! Yeah right. Unbelievable. Talk about service recovery, NOT! I am now dealer shopping for a quality service department.

Albinorhino, sorry for sort of jacking your thread but the dealer BS got me going. Glad your oil leak issue is not an issue.

The way It actually works.

32. Warranty Chick is a bitch and says she is going to back flag the Tech. “Take Money

out of his pocket”

46. The Manager says as punishment he won’t authorize the M Time on your Repair so

the Tech just worked 4 Hours on your Car for Free “Remember that bolt that the Tech

took the time to replace properly’.

Can this take a Week?

YUP, THAT SOUNDS LIKE JONES WEST FORD! Good grief I am doomed! :sos:

it.

needs to be replaced.

part or two.

12. Parts come in.

Order"

I don't want to be critical of how long it takes some Ford Service Centers to replace a bad clutch/transmission, but when we see peoples car's taking weeks for repair that sucks! One week is acceptable only because of the time to get the parts. I know how long it takes to do the job, one day. I also know that all service centers are the same and don't want to knock the guys that do an outstanding job and take pride in what they do. I hope the message here is that some dealerships don't give a rat's a** about how long you wait for your GT500 to be repaired and going to one with a good reputation is important.

I don't want to be critical of how long it takes some Ford Service Centers to replace a bad clutch/transmission, but when we see peoples car's taking weeks for repair that sucks! One week is acceptable only because of the time to get the parts. I know how long it takes to do the job, one day. I also know that all service centers are the same and don't want to knock the guys that do an outstanding job and take pride in what they do. I hope the message here is that some dealerships don't give a rat's a** about how long you wait for your GT500 to be repaired and going to one with a good reputation is important.

I agree with you, it is very important to find a dealership that works hard for us. When you find one, make sure you tell them how happy you are. Everybody complains when something goes wrong but few people take the time to say thanks when people go out of there way to expedite our repairs.

It is only a mater of time before something bad happens at a dealership, what makes the difference is how they and we react to that problem, we all want to find a dealership that apologizes and fixes the issue, but when we go in there and start yelling and throwing a temper tantrum it makes it difficult for them to due so.

post-8247-1179676598_thumb.jpg

post-8247-1179676598_thumb.jpg

I was Not refering to Jones West Ford. Jones West Ford has always done a great jobe for me.

There is only one dealer in Reno... I figured you were referring to them. But I understand. Don't want to get anyone into trouble. If I ever need service they will probably be my huckleberry.

I have taken my work vehicles there in the past. The fleet service manager was very professional and competent. Their service always turned out well. I hope their invoicing amounts are fair. Dealer labor and parts tend to have heavy mark-ups.

Good luck with your tranny. Hope it turns out better than new.

Archived