TEAM SHELBY FORUM

another question for experts concerning hood pins

Ok everyone was helpful with my question about the Shelby GT intake. My cars hood pins where laying in the trunk when I bought my car used this month.. I decided to install the lanyards and noticed they where fairly loose. I took the car to a dyno day and on the way back home both pins came completely out. Question what should I do? Can I adjust the downward to tighten the pin in the holder? Any help will be appreciated. Am I doing something wrong?

May sound like a dumb question but are you flipping the circle part over the pin so it looks like a zero with a line drawn through it after you put it through the post or are you leaving it looking like a zero with a line sticking out of the side like this O-- after you put it through the post

I hope that makes sense

No I am flipping the ring over top. I thought they where too loose. I can adjust the post down and that should tighten it down I would assume. Have any of you guys notice at around 75 the hood shakes somewhat?

My hood only shakes when the blower is in full smoke 'em mode!!! :redcard:

No I am flipping the ring over top. I thought they where too loose. I can adjust the post down and that should tighten it down I would assume. Have any of you guys notice at around 75 the hood shakes somewhat?

Oh yeah. Scared the shit outta me the first time I saw it!

It's possible to take the tension out of the ring so that it doesn't stay in place when flipped over the pin. This happens when someone tries to adjust the ring incorrectly and manages to ruin the tension. You might be able to take the ring off and bend the tension back into it, but that'll be real iffy. The best thing to do is just get new pins/rings and move on. They're available from a number of sources and possibly even from SAI.

John

It's possible to take the tension out of the ring so that it doesn't stay in place when flipped over the pin. This happens when someone tries to adjust the ring incorrectly and manages to ruin the tension. You might be able to take the ring off and bend the tension back into it, but that'll be real iffy. The best thing to do is just get new pins/rings and move on. They're available from a number of sources and possibly even from SAI.

John

along those lines.... one of my rings comes out of the boss when I flip it over the pin which could cause a loose condition. But I have never had mine come loose and I've been pretty high up there in the triple digits!

I have adjusted mine down so they are snug also.

I took (2) black rubber washers use for a garden hose, this keeps it from scratching the flat chrome disc screwed to the hood when removing/installing the pins??

GOD Bless

Jim

I don't understand the comments around the tension of the ring. I have no tension when I operate the ring Should there be some "tension" I am somewhat confused again

The round ring should "snap" down on the pin of the clip when you flip it. This is what locks the clip in the hole of the hood pin when placed.

I have problems then. Is the tension caused by some spring in the ring or the fact that it is snug in the post?

Look at the sides of the pins where the ring is attached. The "spring" in the rings comes from the ends of the rings being seated in the offset holes in the end of the pins. if one of the ring ends comes out of it's hole the two ends will line up adjacent to each other on either side of the pin and the ring will flop loosely back and forth.

The ring itself is a spring. If you notice the holes are offset on the pin that the ring sets in. Sometimes you can pop the ring out of the holes, stretch the two ends away from each other, (not apart, but horizontally away from each other if that makes sense) and putting them back in the holes of the pin. This sometimes works, but if the ring is too warn out then it will not re-spring. Nothing that some new clips can't take care of. Same as what John stated above.

Yes, buy a new set of pins for all the reasons stated above. Be sure to insert them from the outside fender side inward and fold the ring over for a snap…though I never let mine hit the base but if I let them they would. You should also adjust the rubber hood stops to raise the hood enough to keep the pins tight. Lastly…be sure to ALWAYS remove the pins if you're having work done or place a note in the car stuck to the window.

Good luck!

Archived