TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Boss 302 or Keep 2013 GT 500

cleghornm

Power can be massaged. You can never have too much HP. You simply have to balance the power with the handling. The Boss302s cars performed miserably this weekend at the Rolex. The commentators said several times it appears the Mustangs are underpowered. I hated to hear that. They needed at least another 100hp to compete on the straights. The Bmw's and Camaros were the ones to beat. I still want the HP!

I have a 2008 gt500 and 2012 Boss, both great cars. if I had to let one go I think it would be the GT 500. If it was a 13-14 Gt500 it might be a different story. Then we are talking a big difference in price and you could supercharge the Boss and still be under the cost of a new GT500. I was looking at the Friday and Saturday lots from the Mecum in Kissimmee comparing Shelby to Boss. 14 Shelby's 1966-1970 price range 70-137 thousand, 6 sold low 79 high 137. 2 Boss 429's did not sell both 200 thousand high bid. 1 Boss 302 sold at 97 thousand. Who knows what the future will bring.

Power can be massaged. You can never have too much HP. You simply have to balance the power with the handling. The Boss302s cars performed miserably this weekend at the Rolex. The commentators said several times it appears the Mustangs are underpowered. I hated to hear that. They needed at least another 100hp to compete on the straights. The Bmw's and Camaros were the ones to beat. I still want the HP!

No doubt HP is important. The Boss 302 competed in the Continental 200 Sports Car Challenge at DIS this year just as that last tow years. In 2012 and 2013 the Boss 302's won with Jack Roush Jr. and Billy Johnson. In 2014 Roush was not competing at DIS at the 24 hour and the Multimatic Team stepped in with the Boss with Buford and Maxwell driving and they took poll on Thursdays qualifying. Not bad. They finished 9th in the race that had MANY crashes which screwed the field up. I didn't hear anything about power issues. Couldn't be that much power difference between cars since all the cars are in a class and power is controlled anyway. Not sure who you heard say power was an issue but the Boss had not problem sitting on pole position.

Power is alway a factor, yes but more so weight and handling. Case in point Maita spec racers are seen passing more powerful cars all the time at DE's. Smoothness and momentum are the key. Handling is the #1 factor there.

No doubt HP is important. The Boss 302 competed in the Continental 200 Sports Car Challenge at DIS this year just as that last two years. In 2012 and 2013 the Boss 302's won with Jack Roush Jr. and Billy Johnson. In 2014 Roush was not competing at DIS at the 24 hour and the Multimatic Team stepped in with the Boss with Buford and Maxwell driving. They took poll on Thursdays qualifying. Not bad. They finished 9th in the race with MANY crashes that screwed the field up. I didn't hear anything about power issues with regard to the Boss 302 which sat on pole at the start. Also couldn't be that much of a difference power between those cars since all the cars are in a class and power is controlled anyway. Not sure who you heard say power was an issue but the Boss had no problem qualifying and sitting on pole position.

Power is alway a factor, yes but more so weight and handling. Case in point Maita spec racers are seen passing more powerful cars all the time at DE's. Smoothness and momentum are the key. Handling is the #1 factor there.

I agree. The wrecks were ridiculous. Too many amateurs out there. I would love to see how the M3 and 302r1's compare in HP p/liter and race weight. The reference to power was made from one of the announcers that the M3's seemed to transition better from the curves to the straights and thus carried more speed in the high speed zones. Of course this can be driving style too. The M3's just seemed faster to me as well. I loved watching Roush last year. The guy can drive. I am planning on attending the VIR race in August. Can't wait to see the Boss cars in action.

Archived