TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Boss 302 or Keep 2013 GT 500

cleghornm

In my humble opinion, I think the 13/14 Shelby's will go down in history as one of the best muscle cars ever produced. The Boss cars are great but not quite in the same league. It would be an easy decision for me. Keep the GT500.

cleghornm,

I sold my 2011 Shelby GT500 and replaced it with a 2013 Boss 302 LS because I enjoy the twisties. No regrets.

By the numbers, there are far fewer 12/13 Boss 302's (approximately 8,500) compared to the 45,000+ 07/14 GT500's.

In fact, there are fewer 12/13 Laguna Seca's (1,500) than 08/09 King of the Road's (1,700).

Now it's true that the 13/14 GT500's are absolute 1/4 mile monsters and a great cruiser, so it's a tough call.

Good luck regardless of your choice!

• 2 weeks later...

In my humble opinion, I think the 13/14 Shelby's will go down in history as one of the best muscle cars ever produced. The Boss cars are great but not quite in the same league. It would be an easy decision for me. Keep the GT500.

The new 2015 Mustang Gt is said to be faster than the boss keep the Shelby GT500.

• 2 weeks later...

I would keep the 2013 Shelby GT500. I think the 2013-14 will be legendary, well they already are. My 2014 Shelby GT500 is a convertible, most powerfull best handling convertible I ever had. Number wise rare I am sure less than a thousand. Where can you get all that in one car.

A Boss 302 I am sure is a great car never driven one. I drive my 1995 Cobra R when I need a track car.

midohiolftside.JPG

midohiolftside.JPG

GT500! Boss is a fantastic car but the GT500 is so much more capable. On the street, its no contest. On track, both fair well but with a set of decent brake pads, the Shelby will do as well on the short tracks and excel on longer tracks. Cant go wrong with either but given the choice..............

• 4 weeks later...

Boss. Fewer produced and a true limited a special production Pony car. Two year production run and done. Boss is the better balanced car and as fast And faster on a number of tracks with less power. Ford SVT didn't make aGT500 S or R model. That tells you something. They did in the Boss.

I can take any GT500 and slap a Kenny Bell on and it's got more power than the13/14 Gt500 and it's still a true Gt500.

You can make a Mustang 5.0 as fast or faster than a Boss but you can't make it a Boss.

The 13/14 Gt500 is faster than my KR and the KR is a monster but no way would I switch for obvious reasons.

Point is they will always make newer and faster. Buy what you will love and enjoy more. For me that is a

lot based on which is more limited not necessarily what is the most powerful.

In fact if you decide against the Boss based on power I would sell your GT500 and buy a KR. That's the play IMHO for numerous reasons.

Real One- nice assessment. Rarity does have it's advantages. I think as time goes on, both cars will be viewed as the one to own. I especially like your advice to buy a KR. The King will probably prevail as the one to own just as the 68KR has proven. It usually boils down to power and limited availability. Another example, the Boss 429 cars are more valuable than most vintage Shelby's. Bottom-line, they are all great cars and are meant to be driven and enjoyed.

Had my KR and 13 boss 302ls and even added a tvs and spray to the boss but need up selling it and keeping KR. Boss was great but just slow. Also when I noticed my limited edition LS had the same wing as the 2012 Cali special mustang it pretty much made the call for me. Gtr replaced the boss and have never looked back :)

Keep the Shelby!!!

Boss is nice but if you look back in history, the '69 & '70 Boss 302's are special and unique, but the Shelby's of the same time frame are scarce and envied by the Mustang fans.

The problem with that point is the Boss is a LOT more rare than the GT500 now, recent GT500's will not be scarce or envied like the old ones unless you are talking about the KR or Supersnake.

Motor Trend Top Driver's cars competition had the Boss in the next to final cut in a field of $250K+ cars. Not bad for a $40K to $50K Pony car with a stick rear axle. Not bad at all. No GT500 in sight in competition. That tells you the regard and respect the little Boss 302 has garnered.

I see them passing GT3s and Z06's all the time at HPDE's from Watkins Glen to Summit Point. They make a bad driver look good and a good driver look great and a great driver freak'n fast.

GTR is a cool car but for me it's too much tech and no soul but nevertheless an awesome car. To each his own. I'd still rather have the Boss or even my Carrera GTS with the factory aero cup package. Not quite as fast but it's a "Carrera" and as a GTS limited in production. Timeless.

Yes, classic Shelby's sell for more than classic Boss's but....many classic cars come into their own in time...Superbird and Boss 429 as an example. 10 years ago you could buy them for a song and dance. Now try to buy one. They command classic Shelby numbers. I see now even Cadillacs are coming into their own and prices rising on them.

I think the stock on Boss 302 will rise in time both classic and newer as with the KR. I already have seen a trend upward on KR asking prices.

Motor Trend Top Driver's cars competition had the Boss in the next to final cut in a field of $250K+ cars. Not bad for a $40K to $50K Pony car with a stick rear axle. Not bad at all. No GT500 in sight in competition. That tells you the regard and respect the little Boss 302 has garnered.

I see them passing GT3s and Z06's all the time at HPDE's from Watkins Glen to Summit Point. They make a bad driver look good and a good driver look great and a great driver freak'n fast.

GTR is a cool car but for me it's too much tech and no soul but nevertheless an awesome car. To each his own. I'd still rather have the Boss or even my Carrera GTS with the factory aero cup package. Not quite as fast but it's a "Carrera" and as a GTS limited in production. Timeless.

Yes, classic Shelby's sell for more than classic Boss's but....many classic cars come into their own in time...Superbird and Boss 429 as an example. 10 years ago you could buy them for a song and dance. Now try to buy one. They command classic Shelby numbers. I see now even Cadillacs are coming into their own and prices rising on them.

I think the stock on Boss 302 will rise in time both classic and newer as with the KR. I already have seen a trend upward on KR asking prices.

I'm surprised the KR prices have not gone up already. Sad they are not even at msrp at this point. I see the super snakes made a jump but not the KR. Not sure how the more rare and pre title shelby has not gone up.

I have a lightly modded 2011 Shelby GT-500 and have driven my friend's 2013 Boss 302. My Shelby felt like it handled just as well as the Boss on the street and had about 150 more hp. I liked my '11 GT-500 better than his '13 Boss 302. That being said I'm looking now to buy a 2014 Shelby GT-500. I liked the Boss also and if I couldn't have both, I'd choose the 13/14 Shelby GT-500.

I'm surprised the KR prices have not gone up already. Sad they are not even at msrp at this point. I see the super snakes made a jump but not the KR. Not sure how the more rare and pre title shelby has not gone up.

Yeah, I am with you. The Supersnake resale values have been an enigma to me. Side by side with a KR the KR is more polished and clearly has a "factory fit and finish" with carbon fiber and a more mature appearance compared to the rougher plastic and fiberglass parts and more after market fit and finish of the SS. I have compared side by side. Clearly the SS is more "bling" wtih the 20" wheels and boasts 750hp.

I could slap a KB blower on my KR and have the same power. I could slap stiffer Eibach springs and 20" wheels on and whallah! The SS are still being made and will continue to be made long after GT500 production ends. I don't know what the total SS production will be but is likely already greatly in excess of KR production. SS production also varies like snow flakes between colors, years, options, differing designs etc...

I think right now buyer are more swayed by "Bling and bragging rights power" so the SS is commanding more money. In years to come when technology leaves the old Supersnake behind factors like pre-title construction, links to history with the original KR's, very limited production, consistency between cars in build and options except for color (only 4 colors to choose from and nav or upgraded stereo) same design and body, Ford SVT involvment in development will attract the knoweledgble collectors and enthusiasts.

I have run against SS at the track and seen KR run past them and the KR is not really designed as a dedicated track car like the Boss but is a far more balanced car then the SS. In fact I was running my son's SGT which is heavily modded for the track and is running about 100 hp up on a stock SGT with upgraded suspension bits including Watts link, Konis, upraged UCA and LCA, etc... He and I where consistly running down Supersnakes at Summit Point and passing. On the straightaways the SS clearly pulled on his car but it wasn't like astonishing and we more then made up for it in the technical sections and turns (well him more than me...he is a far better driver : ) . Boss 302 were running past SS's too. Not unusual at all to see Boss's running past Z06's.

Bill: I can tell you as I become more experience at HPDEs that spirited street driving is a different animal than driving at or near the limit at the track. Believe me, the Boss is dedicated track weopon that makes itself apparent when you first start cutting over the gators at speed and braking deeper and deeper at the marker from 140 mph feeding the power down just around the apex (assuming I hit it correctly ; ) and doing it lap after lap. You learn it's not all about power. In fact too much power can be counter productive to speed, smooth speed and momentum and consistency. Boss 302 have out run Audi R8's at Leguna Seca. Thats impressve in anyone's book.

GT500 is bar far the superior boulevard cruiser and 1/4 mile monster and can be fun at the track but on the track the Boss is well...the Boss.

Bill: I can tell you as I become more experience at HPDEs that spirited street driving is a different animal than driving at or near the limit at the track. Believe me, the Boss is dedicated track weopon that makes itself apparent when you first start cutting over the gators at speed and braking deeper and deeper at the marker from 140 mph feeding the power down just around the apex (assuming I hit it correctly ; ) and doing it lap after lap. You learn it's not all about power. In fact too much power can be counter productive to speed, smooth speed and momentum and consistency. Boss 302 have out run Audi R8's at Leguna Seca. Thats impressve in anyone's book.

GT500 is bar far the superior boulevard cruiser and 1/4 mile monster and can be fun at the track but on the track the Boss is well...the Boss.

Oh I agree the Boss maybe a better dedicated track car. Like your last sentence says , I'm referring to as a street driven vehicle. Have two different buddies with Boss', one a '12 the other a '13. The '12 get tracked regularly while the '13 (that I drove) is a Sunday cruiser/garage Queen. I'd love to have both but if I could only choose one as my daily driver also, it's be the Shelby. :cool:

My KR with a pulley and tune would pull the 725/750ho KR SS all day here in a race. I can't even see why people are paying 60-70k for a 13/14 shelby that never went to LV, was never signed but won't pay 50k for a "true" shelby that was in LV etc. Guess your right it's about bragging rights and having the latest and greatest. I know the fgt took about 5 years after sales stopped to start bringing big money. For a few years they were 125-130k for low mile cars and now are over 200k for a high mile car. Would be nice if the KR could at least command msrp.

My KR with a pulley and tune would pull the 725/750ho KR SS all day here in a race. I can't even see why people are paying 60-70k for a 13/14 shelby that never went to LV, was never signed but won't pay 50k for a "true" shelby that was in LV etc. Guess your right it's about bragging rights and having the latest and greatest. I know the fgt took about 5 years after sales stopped to start bringing big money. For a few years they were 125-130k for low mile cars and now are over 200k for a high mile car. Would be nice if the KR could at least command msrp.

In time I think the KR stock will rise. As I noted I have notice an up tick in KR asking prices.

Yes, it would be great to see KR's start bringing original MSRP. KR's were bringing over $100,000.00 for a short period of time. In fact my dealer wanted $100,000.00 for mine about 3 months before the real-estate crash and economy crash. I offered list and it was rejected quickly. They had already sold two KR's for $100,000.00+. 9 months later after the economy crash my KR was still sitting in the back. I bought it for $62K.

I think it was the delay in getting the '09' KR's to market, the crash and the new 600hp 2010 GT500 that killed KR values back then. The new 2010 GT500 had more power and had all the suspension improvements from the KR. Everyone wanted MORE POWER MORE POWER MORE POWER. Again, nothing but bragging rights at cruise night. Fact of the matter remains the GT500 are already under tired at 500 hp and the KR will hook up better then a SS and will likely best it 0-60 based on the ability to get the power to the ground as opposed to just turning rubber to smoke. KR's have already been documented to dyno at actually around 580hp at the crank. SAI clearly under-rated their power for likely insurance reasons and the fact that they were dealing with Ford who had Shelby on leash as far as what SAI was allowed to do with the KR.

In the long run I think those in the know will start to treasure and covet the KR. It is in my and many others view the best looking S197 Mustang ever made. It's like GoldeyLocks porridge you might say...Its just right.

You learn it's not all about power. In fact too much power can be counter productive to speed, smooth speed and momentum and consistency.

BINGO. WE HAVE A WINNER!

And that is the reason I'm not going full bore on HP. My goal is to get my GT500 to handle and stop as close to the Boss as possible.

Archived