TEAM SHELBY FORUM

NEED help for choosing my suspension

jpc42

hi Guys, if someone didn't read my introduce, i tell you i'm sorry for my english because i'm french, i'll try to be as clear as possible

So i have a 2007 GT500, and most of the road around home are like the nurburgring nordschleife, curvy sometimes bumpy...may be i'll go on track day one times per year or one time every 2 years

i want to lower my car and i want to have a better handling and maniability at reasonable price (i must add expansive shipping cost, and about 30% tool fee and french VAT)...
for additional information my mechanic just fit on my car a "shelby performance parts panhard adjustable on car" one month ago previously to this, so it's done!

i don't know the way to go...please help me to choose :sos:

IMHO i don't need fully adjustable, and i'd always think changing only the springs on the oem shocks and damper is not a good idea

what do you think between this 2 setups???

1: eibach pro-system kit damper and springs
35115.780 Mustang Eibach Pro-System Suspension Kit GT500 2005-2010 | CJ Pony Parts

2: ford racing handling kit damper and springs
M-18000-G Mustang Ford Racing Handling Kit GT500 Coupe 2007-2012 | CJ Pony Parts

in this 2 case i'll use eibach camber adjustement kit
5.81260K Mustang Eibach Camber Adjustment Kit 2005-2014 | CJ Pony Parts

EDIT:

someone give me another idea to the 2 first possibilty i was thinking ...

3: go with the GT500 KR shocks/strut, + or - add some others brand springs (steeda? or eibach pro kit? roush?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHELBY-GT-500-HANDLING-KIT-M-23000-KR-KR-Shelby-kit-with-strut-mounts-M-18183-C-/111161566666?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19e1bee5ca&vxp=mtr

and steeda springs

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-shelby-gt500-coupe-mustang-sport-springs-555-8217/

i'll just add eibach camber bolt

But must i had ford racing front strut mount upgrade?
M-18183-C Mustang Ford Racing Front Strut Mount Upgrade Pair 2005-2014 | CJ Pony Parts
must i go absolutly with better LCA (with relocation bracket) and UCA?? adjustable or not? or if it's not necessary?
i'm with Bridgestone RE050 all around and i don't have any wheel hop for the moment

Probably the best combo could be tokico D and steeda GT500 sport springs (but worry to expansive with shipping and tax)
Steeda GT500 Mustang Sport Springs - Made in the USA 555-8217 555-8218 - Free Shipping!
Tokico D-Spec Adjustable Strut & Shock Kit TO00101 (05-10 All) - Free Shipping DB5013||DE3753||DSP-12||TO00101

but the price is near eibach coilovers, around only 100$ difference...
35115.711 Mustang Eibach Pro-Street Coilover Suspension Kit GT500 2007-2010 | CJ Pony Parts

but for my use do i really need such a set up???

i'd like the eibach because the rear is lower a little than the front...

may be do you have another idea???

thanks for your answer :thumbsup:
Regards from france :salute:

Look at my suspension setup below. It's a different car now and reacts smartly to the driver input at speed yet is still comfortable enough to drive on the street.

Look at my suspension setup below. It's a different car now and reacts smartly to the driver input at speed yet is still comfortable enough to drive on the street.

you have the Ford Racing Springs on the factory damper and shocks??

Hi, JPC! Contact Van Collier @ Revan Racing. He knows these GT500's inside & out. He can hook you up & save costly mistakes. Thanks!

i've think about contact him, BUT i had search on his website http://www.revanracing.com/categories/07-09-shelby-gt500/suspension.html and as i can see i didn't have one of the 2 set up i'm looking for...you think may be he can??

i'll feel sad contact him and ask for somethings he can sell and after buy somewhere else, i can't do that...

I have the same doubt that suspension used for better stability and handling of the 2007-2009 Shelby GT500, I will keep track of the responses on this topic.

But I'm pretty sure that with the super snake supension (http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/z71-35115.711.htm) will be a car with better handling and stability that is what we want and once in a while get him to track.

Greetings from Mexico City

jpc / Yair

My suggestion is ;

H&R #51655-500-R rear springs from Maximum Motorsports ( keep stock front springs )

Tokico D Spec struts/shocks

TCA022 LCAs from BMR Fabrication

CAB005 relocation brackets from BMR fabrication

Fays2 watts linkage

As rough as the streets are in your area of the world and in trying to keep a good ride quality ( not too hard and still keeping good suspension travel ) This is what I suggest will give you better handling and will work on the streets and the tracks at a good price. JMO

...and I daily drive and track mine with the FRPP kit (with no rear swaybar), the (non-Shelby) Fays2 watts link (set 1 notch below center), and Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates. I've driven some pretty long hauls and I don't find it bad and you can adjust the shocks/struts as well.

You don't have to upgrade the upper strut mounts as yours are already an upgrade...just not the latest upgrade. I reused mine when I installed the FRPP kit. I also would not use the camber bolt setup...I think using a quality caster/camber plate (Maximum Motorsports, J & M) is a better choice, but yes it's more spendy.

I didn't take the adjustable panhard route because I didn't like how it made the car feel when turning on rough surfaces. The watts link makes a huge improvement here.

Most of our opinions will get you there...that's what's great about these cars...so much out there to choose from :)

you have the Ford Racing Springs on the factory damper and shocks??

Correct. The factory dampers are fine if you plan to drive your car mostly on the street. Eventually, I will replace them when they wear out, but for now I have been pleasantly surprised with the ride and feel of the car. Other suspension mods I made had a far more dramatic impact in handling characteristics plus I can use that $1000 I would have spent for upgrading the dampers on something else which will have a far more positive impact in performance. At the end of the day, its all about enjoying each upgrade..... unless you are going racing. Then you need all the upgrades you can get! :shift:

I also would not use the camber bolt setup...I think using a quality caster/camber plate (Maximum Motorsports, J & M) is a better choice, but yes it's more spendy.

How much height will these add to the ride height?

Thanks

I have the same doubt that suspension used for better stability and handling of the 2007-2009 Shelby GT500, I will keep track of the responses on this topic.
But I'm pretty sure that with the super snake supension (http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/z71-35115.711.htm) will be a car with better handling and stability that is what we want and once in a while get him to track.
Greetings from Mexico City

for my use with my WE toy car98-99% street (road) and 1-2% track day for fun, not sure coiovers are necessary...the eibach coilovers on your link are the same in my link before...

jpc / Yair

My suggestion is ;

H&R #51655-500-R rear springs from Maximum Motorsports ( keep stock front springs )

Fays2 watts linkage

As rough as the streets are in your area of the world and in trying to keep a good ride quality ( not too hard and still keeping good suspension travel ) This is what I suggest will give you better handling and will work on the streets and the tracks at a good price. JMO

thanks for your advice but unfortunaly this set ups cost about 3X what i'm looking for... :(

Is that because of the shipping and tariffs ?

My suggestion is ;

H&R #51655-500-R rear springs from Maximum Motorsports ( keep stock front springs ) around 150$

Tokico D Spec struts/shocks around 800$

CAB005 relocation brackets from BMR fabrication around 270$ for the pack BMR

Fays2 watts linkage around 700$

yes it is...

it's about 1920$, and afraid about the shipping, only for a set of 4 shocks/strut i around 250$, it's will be about the same for the watts link and may be around 100$ for BMR and 100$ for the srpings, so it's cost about 2600$ and on this i must add 30% VAT (on the 2600$) and toll fee so it's a total of 3400$!!!

i'm looking for a reasonnable set up shoks/strut/springs aroud 600$+250$ shipping+ 30% tax (on 850$) is around 1100$

so yes the price is 3X...

someone give me another idea to the 2 first possibilty i was thinking ...go with the GT500 KR shocks/strut, + or - add some others brand springs (steeda?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHELBY-GT-500-HANDLING-KIT-M-23000-KR-KR-Shelby-kit-with-strut-mounts-M-18183-C-/111161566666?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19e1bee5ca&vxp=mtr

and steeda springs

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-shelby-gt500-coupe-mustang-sport-springs-555-8217/

but is it a good idea?? better than

http://www.cjponyparts.com/eibach-pro-system-suspension-kit-gt500-coupe-2005-2010/p/EPS9/

or

http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-racing-handling-kit-gt500-coupe-2007-2012/p/M18000G/

???

If that is the case - I would tell you to get the rear H&R springs and the Fays2 watts linkage because it will make more of a difference than the shocks and 4 springs .

Based on your limitations, this is a good option. However, the stock struts/shocks will no longer be working in their "optimal" range and may wear out early, but you can buy them later on when you have the money. This would be good, cheap compromise.

you guys want your car to drive like a Cadillac? or a muscle car...

For sure i want a real muscle car not just an easy car to drive, but i want a lower car for the look, and a more effective...

when i ask on this thread (the same on SVTperformance forum's) to help me, i didn't think there is so many different advice, thanks for all guys, but in fact it's still really difficult to make a choice.

i was thinking there is advice converging, and in that case i'll go on it, but in fact not really

The Roush rear springs will lower the car in the rear and the front will come down only a little when you do that , as far as handling goes the best buy for the buck has been to put on a watts linkage . You do not want to lower the car too much as you will not have enough suspension travel for the roads ( rough roads will bottom out the suspension and skip the tire ) JMO - you get that lower look and performance is gained . Being you are on a budget this is why I recommend this set up .

The Roush rear springs will lower the car in the rear and the front will come down only a little when you do that , as far as handling goes the best buy for the buck has been to put on a watts linkage . You do not want to lower the car too much as you will not have enough suspension travel for the roads ( rough roads will bottom out the suspension and skip the tire ) JMO - you get that lower look and performance is gained . Being you are on a budget this is why I recommend this set up .

roush springs could be an alternative to steeda springs or eibach springs (i don't want the eibach sportline as they lower too much but the pro kit are fine)

if i have correctly understand as you said "you will not have enough suspension travel for the roads ( rough roads will bottom out the suspension and skip the tire )"

that's the reason i'll like to change springs AND shocks/struts, like that the suspension job will be better without this problem.

i do'nt want too much confortable, but a little more firm is good for me.

But you're right, i'm afraid changing only the springs with my oem shocsk/struts

For comparison, i see you're from california so you are not to far, the road around my home are for exemple like the road in Sequoïa (south west entry park), in Yoshemite national park, in bryce canyon park, there is no hole in the macadam, just curvy, i know because i went there in 2010...it was awesome!!

And it's not my daily car only my WE toy car...

i don't think i'll go for the moment to a watt link, may be in fews years (2 or 3?) if i'm not happy, but for the moment i don't see any problem with the panhard system (like i had on my caterham)

and the price of JUST the watt link is more than a pack springs+shocks/struts

someone else tell me to ask van at revanracing, i've tried to send him a PM here, but it's doesn't works i have the message "The member Revan Racing cannot receive any new messages"

• 2 weeks later...

jpc / Yair

My suggestion is ;

Fays2 watts linkage

That is great advice imo!! Nice list, great bang for the buck too!!

OCD, this set up will cost too much for me, and i don't want to go with a watt link for the moment

and as i am still waiting Van's reply, still to difficult for me choosing in the 3 set up i've ask for in my budget, so i go last week with VMPtuning (thanks to BJ and justin) with a stage 2 (CAI tune pulley idler spark plugs and tools for the pulley) because i want something under my Xmas tree.

now i'm waiting the package. probably next week?

I'll go with the suspension in few month when i'll decide between the 3

what do you think between this 3 setups???

1: eibach pro-system kit damper and springs
35115.780 Mustang Eibach Pro-System Suspension Kit GT500 2005-2010 | CJ Pony Parts

2: ford racing handling kit damper and springs
M-18000-G Mustang Ford Racing Handling Kit GT500 Coupe 2007-2012 | CJ Pony Parts

in this 2 case i'll use eibach camber adjustement kit
5.81260K Mustang Eibach Camber Adjustment Kit 2005-2014 | CJ Pony Parts

EDIT:

someone give me another idea to the 2 first possibilty i was thinking ...

3: go with the GT500 KR shocks/strut, + or - add some others brand springs (steeda? or eibach pro kit? roush?)

and steeda springs

But must i had ford racing front strut mount upgrade?
M-18183-C Mustang Ford Racing Front Strut Mount Upgrade Pair 2005-2014 | CJ Pony Parts
must i go absolutly with better LCA (with relocation bracket) and UCA?? adjustable or not? or if it's not necessary?

OCD, this set up will cost too much for me, and i don't want to go with a watt link for the moment

and as i am still waiting Van's reply, still to difficult for me choosing in the 3 set up i've ask for in my budget, so i go last week with VMPtuning (thanks to BJ and justin) with a stage 2 (CAI tune pulley idler spark plugs and tools for the pulley) because i want something under my Xmas tree.

now i'm waiting the package. probably next week?

I'll go with the suspension in few month when i'll decide between the 3

That stage 2 kit is going to make you smile even more when driving your car!! Since you already have an adjustable panhard bar, a watts link can wait for now!! They are worth the money though!!

I have changed pretty well everything except the springs on my suspension, so I can't comment on what type of lowering springs to go with... Shocks and strut wise, the D specs are great and worth the extra cost.

Personally, I would take the KR struts and shocks off your list. For what you have to pay for shipping and taxes, the slight upgrade wouldn't be worth the total cost imo...

You could break the suspension into stages!!

1. Maybe springs and D specs.

2. BMR adjustable upper control arm and mount, lower control arms and relocation brackets.

3. BMR front and rear sway bars!!

4. BMR K member, A arms, Rad support!!

5. At this point you will probably be ready for more power, so TVS and injectors!!

6. Drag radials

7. McCloud RXT clutch... Might as well do a MGW shifter at the same time...

I've probably spent enough of your money for now!! Lol!!

Also, I don't think you need the ford racing front strut mount upgrade... You might need the camber bolt kit for the lowering springs, I would get it just in case!!

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the UK if that has any relevance to German roads but anyway I have:

•The Ford Racing kit in your link

•BMR adjustable panhard bar and matching support brace

•Shelby bump steer kit

•Blow By Racing billet lower control arms

What I think: I wish I knew what the car was like totally stock but I bought my car with Eibach PRO springs fitted and on any road apart from highways it was truly awful to drive: bumps would make it bounce out of control and it was impossible to tackle twisty country roads at any speed.

Now: the car is very predictable, ride is super comfortable and very stable at high speeds. On London's bumpy roads it isn't really a quality ride though I can't quite tell if it's the roads or the setup. On good roads it's great. though.

Some points I found: The adjustable panhard was needed as my axle was noticeably misaligned to one side when the car was lowered even 1 inch.

I tried the BMR adjustable upper control arm but it was too harsh for our roads. I refitted the stock upper with a shim kit for the upper control arm bolt to take out some play.

The lower control arms total improved the response around corners.

The GT500 strut mounts are already an improvement over a Mustang GT and do in fact look more substantial.

Overall I am happy and for the money and in all round driving it is predictable and handling is actually very good with outstanding stability on fast roads.

Just my 2c.

Malc

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody, a long time of reflexion and search, thanks for all your advice.

Of course UKGT500, i agree, changing only the springs is not a good idea, that's what i'm saying in the first post.

Beggining of december, as i was still Undecided, and i want something to put under my Xmas tree,so i've spend the money planned to the suspension, i've order 6th december to BJ and Justin at VMP a stage 2 JLT CAI tune puley tools plugs etc...A BIG THANKS to them, to take all the time to understand my mail and call(most difficult for me).

it was long to receive because of the post delay, and because the post lost the package but finally found it, and i receive it 27th demencer. Now i'm waiting a date to go to my mechanic to put it on the car :drool:

BUT about the suspension, finaly i decide to go with the Eibach 35115.780 (shocks struts springs) and add the eibach camber bolt to adjust, of Course i've also decide to go with BMR relocation bracket for the LCA and with Bob's LCA.....

I just don't know if it's necessary to go with the ford racing strut mount M-18183-C ???

Now i've just have to wait a little to save some cash for buying

Archived