TEAM SHELBY FORUM

13 GT500 Engine Oil Cooler Needed - Questions on Track Pack parts

KRman68

I have a 13 GT500 without the track pack option. I take the car to track events on occasion and would like to put an oil cooler on the car. I've noted that the oil temp climbs pretty quickly forcing me to pull in to cool the oil down. The engine temp always stas at thermostat temp but the oil temp climbs quickly. I came to realize that it needs an oil cooler set up.

I've researched and can't seem to find the stock track pack parts to purchase separately or even aftermarket parts. Can they be bought from Ford? SVT? I noted from the video Ford made with the various engineers that it appears the track pack added a oil cooler radiator and a thermostat to the stock set up...Can this be confirmed and can I just purchase those parts to add an oil cooler to my car?

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Remote coolers that have an adapter at the oil filter boss have been around forever.

Having said that, I too would like to find out if there is a nice, high quality "kit" out there for this MY.

Oil above 212 will burn off moisture, Synthetics can be good up to and above 275.

In the olden days it was received wisdom that the all-aluminum Corvair engine ran well with oil temps in the mid- to high-two-hundreds; at three hundred degrees the mating surfaces were likely to distort and loose their ability to seal against one another. I'd have to suppose that after nearly fifty years of advances, the technology has overcome that problem with sealing, but you'd have to ask an oil expert about the breakdown temps for modern lubricants.

My 1972 Chevy Vega ran at about 210 degrees oil temp on a hot day at Riverside (California) international raceway. Between sessions I changed from dino oil to the then-new all synthetic Dan Gurney oil of the same weight, and lowered the oil temperature by more than ten degrees, even though the ambient was that much hotter for the second conditions.

2112 is right a good synthetic like AMSOIL for example or any top tier synthitic can go to 300 and be safe. Engine oil always runs hotter then water temp have to look but think they usually figure around 20 deg or so, can even be more on track. That is why if you are running a different oil then what like say ford suggests and doing track events the proper oil and proper weight is important.

Now if you still want to run a cooler to help aid in cooling the oil and keeping temps down for more track events. Then by all means dig deeper into the topic it will not hurt anything. I know shops like Kenny Brown like to add coolers to their cars. I beleive they use filter adapters that get plumed to a cooler up front. I do know that the one that comes with the track pack is a bit more advanced though to aid in warm up and such.

On a side note AMSOIL considers a cold temp for oil in modern engines anything below normal operating temp of 212 deg not just winter temps.

^^Amzoil makes some dang good oil (if not the best).

Shell Rotella T-6 also good. In my extreme use boat motors, I favor Joe Gibbs synthetic, which is not legal for street car motors due to the trick (read expensive) additives.

Ford Motorcraft Oil is Conoco I believe. Definitely not junk, but they were forced to take out the good additives a few years back due to EPA regulations.

Archived