TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My first Mojave Mile LSR event;

2010KonaBlueGT

On October 12-13, 2013 I participated in the Mojave Magnum Land Speed Racing event held at Mojave Airport in Mojave CA.

The results were just posted;

http://www.mojavemile.com/images/pdf/MAG2_mile_results_2013.pdf

I only ran the 1 mile course and sorely regret not running at least ONE 1-1/2 mile course.

Run #1: 148.0 mph

Run #2: 150.1 mph

Run #3: 160.9 mph (couldn't find 5th gear)

Run #4: 171.0 mph

Run #5: 168.2 mph

Although I did fairly well I'm a little disappointed with myself for not taking the #1 fast time spot because I know I left a LOT on the track. I was WAY too passive going through the first 3 gears (my Veri-Com indicated low to mid 14 second 1/4 mile ET's).

I ended up with 6th place (6th fastest) in class out of 54 cars in my (A1) class. My fastest time was 171 MPH and the #1 spot was 174.4 MPH, held by a <cough-cough> Corvette! I can still hold my head up high as I was the ONLY car in (at least) the top 10 to be 100% Street Legal...Tune AND body/aero (mirrors, curb height, etc). No tape, no mirror deletes, no '13 air damn, etc. (truthfully, I forgot my 2013 air dam at home!)

For some reason they have my car listed as a 2013 but it is indeed a 2010. The only two faster GT500's were a 2012 and a 2013 GT500 (neither one was stock and/or 100% Street Legal).

I ran my initial "License Run" and even though for some odd reason the Race Marshal told me to "keep it down to around 130-140 MPH". I ran a 148 mph "virgin" run right out of the box, hitting the VSL just before the traps. So rather than take 3 runs to get my License (130, 140, 150) I did it on my first run (Note: you must run ~150 MPH to be licensed for faster speeds) and got my 175 mph license and tech right off the bat.

I learned from my first run that when the Vehicle Speed Limiter (VSL) kicks in at 150 mph the car has to slow down below about 148 mph before the PCM gives you throttle control back so my second run was right at 150.1 mph.

I only ran 5 runs and only in the 1 Mile event. I regret not running the full 1-1/2 Mile track to see what my Top/Terminal Speed was since I know for sure I was still pulling through the traps at 1 mile. My GPS told me so by indicating a 173 mph max speed on my 170 mph run, accomplished by not letting off the throttle until I was SURE I was past the traps so I still pulled another 2mph in the next 50 (or so) yards.

As I said, the first obstacle I ran into was overcoming the 150 MPH VSL. I didn't think it would be real fun running back to back to back 150 mph runs all weekend so I had to do some thinking. Prior to the event I entertained having the Ford Racing Whipple 2.9L Tune copied then having the VSL raised to 250 MPH (via C. Van Collier) and effectively eliminating the VSL since my car will NEVER see 250 MPH. Instead, I went back to basics and remembered what my GM instructor told me about computers..."Garbage In, Garbage Out" (you can also modify the tone ring by eliminating every other tooth but that involves removing the tail of the trans).

I pulled out my trusty Ford Pro-Cal tuner and lied to my PCM by telling it I had 6.00:1 rear gears in it instead of the stock 3.55:1 gears it actually yas! A quick run down Highway 58 told me that at 50 MPH (GPS indicated) I was showing 35 MPH on the speedo, so the PCM thought I was only doing 35 MPH @ 50 MPH. I didn't do the calculations but I figured if I hit the limiter again I still had the tire circumference parameter to play with.

All in all I had a pretty successful first attempt and a great time. I recommend it to ALL. I did learn a couple of VERY VALUABLE lessons; 1, You should NEVER forget the sunscreen at home if you're going to go stand out in the middle of the Mojave Desert for 2 days and 2, BE MORE AGGRESSIVE through the first 3 gears (and bring your damn air dam!)!

I WILL be back.

I WILL bring better traction!

I WILL bring a more aggressive driver!

I WILL bring some aerodynamic advantages (and STILL keep it 100% Street Legal)!

I WILL go back to Mojave to get that #1 spot and put Carroll Shelby's name up ahead of Zora Arkus-Duntov's name!

I AM determined!

Oh, and I WILL bring sunscreen!

Phill Pollard - Colorado Springs, CO

Car #636

post-26522-0-08359200-1383167260_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-59849700-1383167272_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-08359200-1383167260_thumb.jpg

post-26522-0-59849700-1383167272_thumb.jpg

Lets go next year!

I am planning on going back. I was just TOO close not to give it another try.

This time with a few aero advantages and maybe a slightly smaller SC pulley.

To anyone 'thinking' about going...GO! It's a experience you won't forget and well worth the price of admission for the education you receive. I know I learned a TON.

I will probably only run on ONE of the two days though (also less $$$). It will probably be on the Sunday as it is the lax day (many only run Saturday) and eventually it just turns into 'hot laps' (no waiting, just go around to the start and do it over again). Saturday was real busy with 3 staging lanes for the Magnum (1-1/2 mile) and only 1 for the mile, meaning the cars running the mile had to wait for at LEAST 30 cars to run before you got to rerun again (they take groups of 10 to the start line each time).

Phill

The 1.5 mile thing is much more intriguing. You could pretty much hit your top end in that distance! I've just heard of 1 mile events before this.

My good friend (Dave Damon (won 1st place in the Motorcycle class) and mentor is the person I went with and the guy who got me interested in the MM, TOLD me to run at least one 1-1/2 mile run and I didn't listen to him.

After a two day drive out to Mojave and standing in the sun for two days, I was just SO burnt out I packed it up and left. It wasn't until a day or two later that I realized the same thing you just said....I would have found my terminal speed because without a doubt I would have been out of legs in a mile and a half. I'm still kicking myself in the ass for not running it.

There were plenty of runs left in the day and it all costs the same (you can run either or both for the entry fee).

Next year.....

Phill

Sounds like fun. A nice tune rather than a pulley change would be interesting. Would be neat to see times as you Mod up

My entire goal and intent is to keep the car 100% street legal and run a 50-State Street Legal tune so right now, a tune isn't a option.

I want to do this 100% street legal, which nobody else seems to be willing to do.

Phill

We had our own little private event last March at the Bash.

Saturday morning on Rt 160, on the way to the track, Charlie turned the GPS speedometer on and we hit 176 in the 350 before a pick up came into view 3/4 of a mile ahead.

A fellow banzai runner broke 190 in his 2013 GT500.

I am in for the next Mojave mile.

We had our own little private event last March at the Bash.

Saturday morning on Rt 160, on the way to the track, Charlie turned the GPS speedometer on and we hit 176 in the 350 before a pick up came into view 3/4 of a mile ahead.

A fellow banzai runner broke 190 in his 2013 GT500.

I am in for the next Mojave mile.

YIKES! That would'a been one expensive speeding ticket! And I heard the NV HP was running RADAR out there too.

I got tagged for 90 in a 65 on Hwy. 58 right along side of the Mothball fleet at Mojave and that's up to ~$500 with traffic school.

My GPS indicated my "Max Speed" at 97 and I was told 1 more mile an hour (over the limit) and I would have had a W reckless Driving charge on top of it so I have a feeling the CHP was being REAL NICE to me! And I appreciated it too (I apologized to him "for making him do his job").

Phill

If you want to hear something *really* impressive...Or at least I should say *I* was really impressed by it;

I saw a '07-'09 Blue w/White stripes GT500 in line behind me for the next set of 10 to run. I noticed it because he had the side view mirrors removed with blue painters tape covering the mounting area. I walked back to chat with him while I was waiting for my 5 minute call. When I asked him what he was running, he told me he was running the STOCK Eaton supercharger on it. He said he had a local guy (to him) tune it and I don't remember him saying he changed the pulley, just the tune

He said he had a 167 mph run already so I about shit myself when he told me it was the stock SC with a 'local guy' tune! Now THAT'S impressive!

Note car #523 on the scoring sheet. It is a 2007 GT500, the only '07-'09 GT500 listed so I have to assume it's the same guy/car (two different drivers drove it).

He has a 'best' run (on the Mile course) of 170.6 MPH!

Between the two drivers the car ran:

138.7 mph

167.1 mph

169.0 mph

170.1 mph

170.6 mph

&

171.0 mph on the Magnum (1-1/2 mile) course.

Now THAT is haulin' ASS, especially for a stock supercharger, pulley or not.

Anyone know either of these guys?

Dennis Corder

(or)

Dennis Saunders

Waddell, AZ

I'd love to hear more about his car.

Phill

Archived