TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Powder Coating Alcoa Wheels

Has anyone powder coated Shelby SuperSnake Alcoa wheels?

How did you get the dura-bright finish off before powder coating?

I bought the set shown below from a SuperSnake owner on this forum as an alternate set to my dura-brights, they were powder coated dark as part of his SuperSnake upgrade when his car was at Shelby Las Vegas.............

0015_zps6f3deb49.jpg

0012_zps718c26d1.jpg

^^^^^I don't know if any surface prep was done or if the powder coat was applied directly on the original dura-bright surface?

R

I had the wheels powdercoated and the valve stems anodizedee in the pictures in my garage. I bought an additional set of wheels and had them done, I didn't want to take a chance on the original set of Supersnake wheels.

Media blasted, then powder coated.

Jer

• 1 month later...

I just had my 2010 Super Snaked and as much as I love the Dura Bright, I think the powder coating looks awesome. I would like to find a set. Jer, would I be able to purchase them through SA? If anybody has other ideas, please let me know.

I just had my 2010 Super Snaked and as much as I love the Dura Bright, I think the powder coating looks awesome. I would like to find a set. Jer, would I be able to purchase them through SA? If anybody has other ideas, please let me know.

Steve,

We are all sold out, unfortunately.

I can try to find you some "blemished" ones, since you'll be powdercoating them anyway?

Jer

• 1 year later...

Hi every body.

Let me ask if can change a set of power coated finished to durabright finsh. I have a set of 4 black power coated finish and I would like to give the finish of durabright.

Thank you in avance

Dura-Bright® is a proprietary process used by Alcoa. I do not believe anyone can apply that finish in the aftermarket. Sorry, hope that helps.

Jer

As Jer mentioned Durabright is a proprietary process which is different from powder coating but there is a clear version of powder-coating available that could provide you with the look you're seeking.

You'll need to check with a local wheel re-finisher to see what "sheens" of clear powder-coating they can apply.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Dura-Bright® is a proprietary process used by Alcoa. I do not believe anyone can apply that finish in the aftermarket. Sorry, hope that helps.

Jer

The wheels are stil in Miami...ready to go. Can do that in any place?????

Thank you so much

Archived