TEAM SHELBY FORUM

FRPP Hot Rod Cams and tune

Just curious. I assume the Hot Rod cams require a tune and was curious if a tune was included with the cams or have you had to take it to a dyno tuner?

Also, will the new cams be sufficient to justify moving to the larger throttle body without using the new FRPP intake manifold.

I have the FRPP CAMS, long tube headers, and had a local shop in my area perform a custom tune. Money well spent.....and I can tell you the cams gave my SGT a whole new personality.

If you are going to stay naturally aspirated, I really don't think adding the throttle body is worth the extra dollars. There are some really good threads for most bang for the buck....

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/78987-what-would-you-add-for-the-most-bang-for-the-buck/?hl=%2Bbest+%2Bbang

• 9 months later...

is it still a 91 tune or did you switch to 93?

do your long tube headers have a location for the O2 sensor? Any problems with emissions, or installation, etc?

Sounds like about 25 HP from the cams and about 15 from the headers.

93 octane.

Baseline: 281whp/288tq

After: 324whp/319tq

Yes on the O2 sensor ---- American Racing LT's are awesome ----- highly recommend them. Love Kooks too.

Zero issue with emissions, no issues on the installation. My shop did the install and have performed this installation on many Mustangs...

For comparison, the dyno run on the GT-C with the Kooks LT's, High Flow Cats, and FRPP Hot Rod Cams, and Steeda pullies. Guessing I got about 4whp from the pullies but too close to tell...

Baseline: 288whp/294tq

After: 328whp/324tq

Stewarbc,

great info. Not to hijack the thread but I have a set of Pypes LTH, H pipe, the FRPP Composite intake, 62mm FRPP throttle body, Steeda pullies and will likely end up with the KR mufflers. The FRPP cams are definitely on my list as well and it is interesting to see the difference in HP/TQ. I am considering spending the money on better heads as well but am trying to justify the 1900.00 for the FRPP set in terms of what it will provide. I have considered having my OEM heads ported, but have not been able to find a good shop in the North Carolina area which anyone can vouch for.

The 43 HP you picked up is encouraging, especially on a conservative tune. I hope to hear more about how your SGT is running with these mods as time goes on. I have about 5 months before I get back home and can start turning wrenches again.

The general consensus is 320 - 330rwhp with headers/cams. That's about what I was running naturally aspirated as well. Still have the frpp cams/stock heads off my original SGT engine and still love em. TB not necessary either but I have it and it's pretty.

• 5 months later...

Stewarbc,

great info. Not to hijack the thread but I have a set of Pypes LTH, H pipe, the FRPP Composite intake, 62mm FRPP throttle body, Steeda pullies and will likely end up with the KR mufflers. The FRPP cams are definitely on my list as well and it is interesting to see the difference in HP/TQ. I am considering spending the money on better heads as well but am trying to justify the 1900.00 for the FRPP set in terms of what it will provide. I have considered having my OEM heads ported, but have not been able to find a good shop in the North Carolina area which anyone can vouch for.

The 43 HP you picked up is encouraging, especially on a conservative tune. I hope to hear more about how your SGT is running with these mods as time goes on. I have about 5 months before I get back home and can start turning wrenches again.

Steve.Madrid ------ quick update: zero issues with my mods ---- no inspection issues, running great. Hope you got home and were able to start turning wrenches.

Archived