TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Windowed Betsy

AstroDan

Well.

There is a hole in the side of my block! It was a little cold, I didn't rev very hard at all, and ker-plunk, loss of oil pressure. Limped back to my parking spot at work and saw aluminum pieces laying on my passenger side lower A arm,. Not a nice feeling at all, opening the hood with oil smoke billowing out.

I'm bummed and have a call into AED...

• 4 months later...

I got the quote back from Drew at AED. Nice!

I want to get input from the folks here.

I asked him to:

Install the new FR 46x5.0 Aluminator Short block for SC application

twin disc clutch

Good fasteners (ARP etc...) and gaskets

Basically, get Betsy back on the road, better than ever, without approaching my next "weakest link". I want safe, 100,000+ miles, but still nasty-fast.

California smog legal etc

We assumed the stock heads are still good due to the way it blew up, symptoms etc. If I need to go to next level, I can. (I'm old, with no bills and all grown children etc)

He came back today with:

FR 46x 5.0L Stroker SB

FR 3v cylinder head changing kit (ARP hardware not required until 675+ RWHP)

Valve cover gasket set (I'm gonna put on the cool Shelby GT covers)

Timing cover gasket set

Front main seal

Oil pan gasket

Misc oil, filters, coolant, distilled water, solvents etc

Flow matched 63# injectors

Mcleod RST twin disc clutch assembly

Fidanza billet aluminum flywheel

New Ford pilot bearing

New Ford slave cylinder/throwout bearing assembly

5 qts tranny fluid, 4oz friction modifier

Labor to pull motor etc

clean it up, inckluding engine bat etc

assemble SB with heads, blower covers etc

Install engine/transmission assembly

Custom Dynotune with Shaun

The mark-up for them getting the parts is VERY reasonable, as is their hourly rates,

We verbally talked about a pulley change to bump the boost, but I don't see that on his list. I also mentioned going with a good 10-rib kit. (not on list)

What about an engine lowering kit and re-installing my FR strut-tower brace?

Anthing else I should mention before I give the go-ahead?

I gotta say, seeing Betsy in my garage, horribly dusty/dirty, battery dead and not running is the most pathetic thing I've ever seen.

Thanks in advance guys!

If you have a hole in the block, I'd be surprised that you do not have a piston which came apart that took out your head. I didn't think that I would have to do the head either, but when tore down, well, it was then obvious that I would also have to do heads. This is the bottom of the better head that came off of my car when that happened. Hopefully you will have better luck! If you're going this far, might as well and make sure that you are building exactly what you want. If you've even thought about upgrading your heads, now is the time.

Damage1.jpg

ARP fasteners= cheap insurance.

Jer

Talked with Drew today. I'm having him order new FR ported heads and new cams.

Might as well, since I'm in there anyway.

I must say, this is very exciting, haven't felt this way about Betsy for quite some time... Can't wait.

More to come.

checking his signature info, I would say he must have had a custom tune - 507.7 rwhp - 498.5 lb/ft 12th of Sept 2009

Still, that doesn't sound overly aggressive depending on driving habits and maintenance since Sep/09. Do you race this engine? I think the rest of us with Whippled 4.6s are a bit nervous when we hear about this. ):

checking his signature info, I would say he must have had a custom tune - 507.7 rwhp - 498.5 lb/ft 12th of Sept 2009

Still, that doesn't sound overly aggressive depending on driving habits and maintenance since Sep/09. Do you race this engine? I think the rest of us with Whippled 4.6s are a bit nervous when we hear about this. ):

:yup: it's hearing stuff like this that worries me.....

Same time my car was done at Shelby, Sept/October 2009.

Same time my car was done at Shelby, Sept/October 2009.

Yes. I remember taking some pictures of our cars next to each other. :) (Not a great shot...)

H0050nSGT5123SC.jpg

I had the canned FR tune. Virtually perfect curves as seen below. Pushing a little over 10lbs/boost...

It ran strong, with no hint of problems, including the drive in to work in the morning. I had gone to Sears Point and 1/4 miled her once. I did drive spiritedly, but not living at the rev limiter. If anyone has similar numbers on the stock block, I'd get the work done on the block (forged crank/connecting rods etc) prior to it letting go. Lot cheaper, easier than what I'm doing now...

507dyno01.jpg

Since I'm posting up, pre-SC. Stock

stockdyno7-4-08.jpg

Wow those are pretty strong numbers for the Ford racing tune. I never actually have had mine on a Dyno yet but I would guess it to be about 484 at the rear tires. I have taken mine on the road course for dozens of 20 to 30 minutes sessions and never have had a problem with the engine. I sure hope I don't because now money is super tight and I wouldn't be able to fix it for a long time.

• 1 month later...

Yes. I remember taking some pictures of our cars next to each other. :) (Not a great shot...)

H0050nSGT5123SC.jpg

I had the canned FR tune. Virtually perfect curves as seen below. Pushing a little over 10lbs/boost...

It ran strong, with no hint of problems, including the drive in to work in the morning. I had gone to Sears Point and 1/4 miled her once. I did drive spiritedly, but not living at the rev limiter. If anyone has similar numbers on the stock block, I'd get the work done on the block (forged crank/connecting rods etc) prior to it letting go. Lot cheaper, easier than what I'm doing now...

507dyno01.jpg

Since I'm posting up, pre-SC. Stock

stockdyno7-4-08.jpg

Yup. Thanks for sharing. You should have a beast when done!

I guess it might've leaked!

Carnage4_zpse8cbe00a.jpg

Carnage3_zpsd269173a.jpg

Carnage1_zps99928b92.jpg

Carnage2_zps295ce2b1.jpg

Now for the good news.

***BTW, I ordered the Steeda LCA to be delivered to AED for installation. also going with larger capacity oil pan etc...

Without further ado:

Stroker1_zps622b851f.jpg

stroker2_zpsf58e9ccf.jpg

Archived