TEAM SHELBY FORUM

navi system

shawnc8

I was wondering if anybody can help me. I ordered a 2013 shelby in may of 2012 and picked it up in october. I didn't get the navi system in the car and now i'm regretting it. Does anybody know if i can have the system installed after the fact. If so how do i go about getting it done

Unlike the 2007-2009 Shelby the new system isn't simply a double din navi. It incorporates with the Hvac controls, a hard drive, different version of sync, probably a wiring harness, and requires a new center stack. Piecing this together through a dealer would be many thousands plus labor. If you are tech savvy and are familiar with car audio I would start at fordsparts.com, put in your vin then review the blow apart diagrams of the electronics package. After all the car is mass produced by people no smarter than you from a parts bin. Get the center stack bezel, touch screen assembly, etc part numbers and I'd bet you could do it just fine. Good luck.

If you do the research and find the parts you need...there are wreaked 13/14 Shelbys showing up on the net. Find one that is available and get the parts and do the install. That would be way cheaper than ordering from Ford.

If I were you...and really need the Nav....I would go aftermarket. Plenty of options out there. Crutchfield has these available. http://www.crutchfield.com/g_300/All-Car-Stereos.html?nvpair=AG_Type%7cffGPS_Navigation

I believe you are stuck with aftermarket as your only reasonable option now however I highly recommend getting one. I would not have a new car without built in navigation. That would be like having an office without a computer IMHO... I love Sync. My wife's MB E-350 nav is a turd compared to Ford's Sync system...

Look at the Raxiom (sic?) they are showing at American Muscle.

Seriously..you would not have a car with out Navigation? I have 7 cars in my household with Navi in 2 or 3 of them. Frankly I hardly ever use it. Different systems (range rover and Ford) cause frustration with the interface for me and I get tired of stumbling around looking for what I need. My iPhone with Google maps never lets me down and I have one system that I use everyday for everything.

Also, just to clarify, I am not some old guy who runs from new technology. I'm 45 and I have spent my career in engineering and sales for silicon valley networking companies, so I know a thing or two about technology.

I think the younger generation behind me uses car based navigation even less than I do. Thy rely on their phones for everything. The only people I see really using navigation are 55-65 years olds who are happy to have finally been able to leave their Road Atlas books at home.... :)

Can't say I wouldn't buy a car without one, but it is something I look for and plays a role in my purchasing decision. I'm new to my location and being able to plug in an address and go is great. The iphone is great but quite often I'm talking on it while driving. Being able to visually follow one's progress on a larger screen is key as well.

I believe you are stuck with aftermarket as your only reasonable option now however I highly recommend getting one. I would not have a new car without built in navigation. That would be like having an office without a computer IMHO... I love Sync. My wife's MB E-350 nav is a turd compared to Ford's Sync system...

Look at the Raxiom (sic?) they are showing at American Muscle.

I agree...our cars have the built in Navi (except my 2007 SGT) and we would not have one without it.

For those that love Navi, that is great have at it. This country is still sort of free... ;)

I'll share one last thought. Back in 1995, I bought a sweet 1980 Mercury Capri RS from this little old lady who only put 41,000 miles on it in its entire one owner life. It was the classic black with lime green decals. You either loved it or hated it, but as a hardcore Ford guy it was perfect to me.

Funniest thing ever though was the fact that the car had a factory installed 8 track AND a factory installed CB radio. What was high tech back in its day was absolutely laughable 15 years later. Given the pace of tech innovation going on these days, I feel our current Navi options will be just as laughable 10-15 years from now. My experience with Ford factory Navi in my 2 past Expeditions is that they are also very unreliable and have frequent failures. After 120,000 miles or so, both of my Expo systems were no longer working and the out of warranty repair quotes were ridiculously expensive. Needless to say, both were traded in with broken navi/tech centers.

One last comment.... in a car as great as the 13 Shelby, I look forward to getting lost so that I can just keep driving!!!! :)

Take care all,

Kevin

What does it matter if it will be obsolete in 10 years? What does it matter if it is a joke in 20? If you like it, and you want it for now, get it. If we are gonna throw our "supposin the future" hats on, it is just as likely we wont have gas powered cars somewhere down the line, and getting fuel for your cars will be as laughable as your need for directions or a "radio". (Google Retina will display directions directly to your brain through its surgically implanted contact, and music will be transmitted to your inner ear through Apple iEar.)

But for now, let us live in the now. My car still smells like new, so let me pretend for a moment it still is and the technology it bears is still on the cutting edge of technology. 20 years from now, I'll probably own something completely different for fun to drive- or fly.

To the OP- I bought a non Nav 2011, thinking EXACTLY like the other side of the argument- plus, I almost never use Nav. I regretted it from day one. it will cost you more than trading in your car for a twin that came with the option if you want stock. if aftermarket will do, I suggest going to your best local stereo shop, and asking them, or hitting up a huge car show to see what is out there. A friend bought a BOSS last year, which doesnt have the nav option, and she was able to get a whole console replacement part that made the AC controls and etc. stuff electronic, a radio that plugs into the car port and monitor real time data logging and set digital gauges to monitor on screen in any combination she desired. it is damn slick. But that said I am very happy with the Ford Sync Nav on the GT500, it matches my exact layout for my 2011 Raptor, so all the buttons are exactly where Im used to them regardless of what I am driving. I use Sync travel for weather maps, movie times, and sports scores. I use DAILY the ability to see traffic jams in real time ahead of me so that I can reroute myself around them. To say that the Nav screen is not needed because you know where you are going shows that you have no clue of its true value in your daily driving activities.

It's not just a basic "navi" like my 2008 Shelby had, it's an "electronics package", even without the navi the other features and resale value added to the car are well worth the price. Custom wallpapers, stellar shelby cobra that welcomes you on start up, cover art, very nice artist and song title display with equilizer, weather and gas station locations, phone & contacts integration, hvac controls integration, configurable split screens, 10gb hard drive, voice control on everything not just navi, etc. Not to mention the center stack design looks so much better, the non navi dash IMO looks like an old calculator display. And it wasn't very much money to add, so it's a no brainer for me. The Shelby is the "top of the line" and it kills me to see people pay over $65k for one with a base model V6 dash in it, or worse they send one out to be be supersnaked, even more of a range topper without it.

I wanted a new 13 shelby so bad I found myself saying all the same things "it doesn't matter", "I'll never use it anyway", "I can use google maps" when I saw one on the lot without an e package, but knew I would have buyers remorse and decided wait and find the one I really wanted.

IMO After market looks pretty ghetto on a shelby so if this matters to you find the correct factory parts and do it right. The whole car was built to be plug and play on an assembly line and the wiring harness for the steering wheel controls, mic, speakers, etc. are all shared anyway. I would love to do a project like this, it's rewarding to do an upgrade that you can instantly enjoy, good luck.

Seriously..you would not have a car with out Navigation? I have 7 cars in my household with Navi in 2 or 3 of them. Frankly I hardly ever use it. Different systems (range rover and Ford) cause frustration with the interface for me and I get tired of stumbling around looking for what I need. My iPhone with Google maps never lets me down and I have one system that I use everyday for everything.

Also, just to clarify, I am not some old guy who runs from new technology. I'm 45 and I have spent my career in engineering and sales for silicon valley networking companies, so I know a thing or two about technology.

I think the younger generation behind me uses car based navigation even less than I do. Thy rely on their phones for everything. The only people I see really using navigation are 55-65 years olds who are happy to have finally been able to leave their Road Atlas books at home.... :)

Yes seriously, but again that's just me and my opinion... I love the I-phone too but it can't replace the larger built in screen for nav for me any better than it can replace my big screen TV for watching movies...again just my opinion.

I'm pretty sure the younger generation desires current cutting edge technology at an equal or higher rate than the older generation when cost is not a factor . I do understand there are people that do not want one and I get it, the OP indicated he wanted one... I'm 49...

I was wondering if anybody can help me. I ordered a 2013 shelby in may of 2012 and picked it up in october. I didn't get the navi system in the car and now i'm regretting it. Does anybody know if i can have the system installed after the fact. If so how do i go about getting it done

I can't remember if it was here on Team Shelby or one of my other forums but a guy with a Ford Raptor ordered it with Navi and it came without. The dealer installed a factory unit but ONLY because of the circumstance and then, Ford Mo. Co. was real hesitant to reprogram the unit (remember, it involves (MS) Sync). He did eventually get it all done but it was NOT a direct P-n-P install.

I doubt a dealer would do it over buyers remorse but it couldn't hurt to ask.

Phill

Your right Phill. I saw it on the FordRaptorForum a couple years back, and it did require substantial reprogramming.

In other words, Power seats are easy to add because the plug is there either way. You swap the seats and plug in. The Nav is not like that though, and not just one module, works through the factory ECM/PCU because it integrates for Vehicle Health Reports and DTCs that are accessed through the SYNC system so it either has to be reprogrammed or replaced as well. It can be done though, or at least could be done on the Raptor with the exact same Nav module.

I 100% agree GroberTX. My iPhone traffic SUCKS since they went away from the Google version of map. But the Sync traffic works just great! Im 41. You dont have to like it, but it really sweet to have when you can avoid traffic jams and hail storms without lifting up your phone or tablet.

Sure, Waze is a better app for all of the traffic and police reporting, but there are SSOOO many times Im on the phone talking, or didnt bother to turn it on, and a glance down at traffic in front of you and skipping around parking lot highways is a sweet treat on any day.

Like I said, free country..enjoy your Nav. Not for me, but I do agree it would help resale in the first few years (3-5) but after that I think it will begin to work against you as it will be so outdated. Sort of like selling a 5 year old laptop....

Dubbs, you should take 2 minutes and load the google maps ap back onto your iPhone.

speaking of the 10gb hard drive, soemone recently posted they were going to dump their itunes librairy in a thumb drive and upload to their shelby. did they succeed? I wanted ot do this over the weekend but wasn't sure which file to drop on the thumb drive when looking at itunes.

I take back what I said about aftermarket, this one is pretty cool http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/svt-shelby-gt500-150/933189-ottonavi-oem-style-nav-mustangs-10-13-installed-pic-heavy.html

P.S. Microsoft supposedly won't let you copy anything from USB to the in dash hard drive due to DRM issues, I tried and failed. Easy work around, I have a 64GB thumb drive stuck in the USB slot and it works flawless, starts up with much less delay like Bluetooth streaming or jukebox anyway. There is a short delay on the very first run while sync indexes all the artist and songs.

Can't say I wouldn't buy a car without one, but it is something I look for and plays a role in my purchasing decision. I'm new to my location and being able to plug in an address and go is great. The iphone is great but quite often I'm talking on it while driving. Being able to visually follow one's progress on a larger screen is key as well.

Not only this; but, the Nav Package does so much more. Between the dual zone heat, radio & phone controls plus 5 day weather outlook, it's a pretty neat package. I didn't have it on my '13; but, made sure I ordered it on my '14. I'm 50 and still using a Flintstone phone, so I can't say I wouldn't use it if I had a smart phone; but, I love it.

This is the metra kit, it retains everything except phone controls which goes through the stereo deck or remote just depending and it makes climate controls including heated seats (for those NOT with Recarro) touch screen and color options and retains synch. Its pretty nice set up. They do advertise that it is compatible with ALL steering wheel controls but I didnt see it. One complaint I have that I havent addressed with Metra yet is the use of stock microphone and stock car xm attena. I think its clean and though not as nice as the OEM set up Navi, the climate controls are nicer!

Metra.jpg

Metra.jpg

I have a almost new Pioneer navi unit with the electronic a/c controled metra center console. If you are interested let me know, we can talk more. I had it in my boss, it was totaled and now the gt500 has navi.

half off original price

P.S. Microsoft supposedly won't let you copy anything from USB to the in dash hard drive due to DRM issues, I tried and failed. Easy work around, I have a 64GB thumb drive stuck in the USB slot and it works flawless, starts up with much less delay like Bluetooth streaming or jukebox anyway. There is a short delay on the very first run while sync indexes all the artist and songs.

Are you just copying files from your CD onto the Thumb or do you have to convert it to MP3 or some other format?

Sorry for the dumb question. :whistling:

Are you just copying files from your CD onto the Thumb or do you have to convert it to MP3 or some other format?

Sorry for the dumb question. :whistling:

They are already in mp3 format in my iTunes, to copy from iTunes I just dragged and drop them out of the iTunes music screen and onto the thumb drive. Love it

Archived