TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 MT82 gearbox failure - Installing Tremec Magnum XL

A lot of trials and tribulations but I think I have the Shelby about where I want it.

The new Boss Torsen unit went in finally and new 4:10s.

The 4:10s took a couple of tries because the first ones were really noisy.

This new set is quieter but still make some noise.

The old 3:73s were not exactly quiet either.

The MGW shifter has really improved the throw length, much in the way the Barton did for the MT82.

The MGW does add some blender noise through the stick. The Barton did the same for the MT82.

It seems every mod I make adds noise, unfortunately.

The Centerforce DYAD clutch went in and the weird vibration and horrible noise at 1800RPM caused by McCleod RST that came out is gone, so that's a relief.

Now, all I hear is gear clash at that RPM.

I also went with a billet steel flyweel this time around, and ditching the lightweight aluminum one. The car now actually slows down normally when in decel mode, which was not the case when the lightweight aluminum one was in.

This Tremec has a whine on decel at low speeds in second gear, so I would not say that it is quieter than my old MT82 was, more like about the same.

Also, shifting is smoother the harder I drive it and the higher the RPMs are. It seems to like that. At lower speeds and RPMs, shifting is not as smooth as at higher RPMs, which is opposite of the way the MT82 behaved.

I have to say that the Tremec conversion was fraught with problems and issues from the start, and it took some time to solve things, but they do seem solved at this point.

I still think the Mustang was quicker overall with the 3:73s and the MT82, however with 4:10s and the Tremec, the car is easier and more comfortable to drive on the street than it was before, and I shift way less than I used to with the MT82.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived