TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 MT82 gearbox failure - Installing Tremec Magnum XL

I have a Centerforce dual disc that is so freaking loud when you push the clutch pedal in, that I am forced to replace it with only 7K miles on it. It isn't the trow out bearing, it's the disc.

RWR is recommending the McLeod like the one you have.

How is yours working out?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Centerforce dual disc that is so freaking loud when you push the clutch pedal in, that I am forced to replace it with only 7K miles on it. It isn't the trow out bearing, it's the disc.

RWR is recommending the McLeod like the one you have.

How is yours working out?

This is my second McLeod RST, I put one in my 06 GT in 2009.

Other than the normal disc chatter if you lug below 1500 RPMs in any gear other than first, they are both noise free.

The GT350's pedal actually has a softer feel than the 06. Must be a difference in slave cylinders between the years.

• 2 weeks later...

Well crap, my MT82 just blew up a bearing.

Tonight, I will have the official word that it's a goner.

Looks like a Magnum XL and 4:10 rear end is my immediate future.

The only misgiving I have here is the 4th gear in the XL looks to be a bit anemic based on it being 1:1.

Stay away from the 4:10s unless you plan to race. The gear spacing with 3.73 is perfect.

Do you think that your Mustang is as quick as it was with the MT82 in it?

I don't want to spend a bunch of money and end up slower.

That would be a downgrade.

I have been crunching numbers using the gearing of the Tremec and MT82 transmissions using my current MT82 as a base with my 3:73 setup.

The numbers become interesting using different rear gear combos.

http://www.f-body.org/gears/

I'm looking to do the XL upgrade myself this winter. I'm looking at the 2.66 ratio option. but I'm going to use the 5th and 6th gear from the 2.97 option. I talked to several trans and speed shops in my area about the choice and they all agreed it was the best option for a street car that makes numerous trips to the track every year. I've also been thinking about only changing out the 5th gear and having a big OD gear for long road trips. It's pretty cheap to change out the gears before install, so just something to give some thought to.

Do you think that your Mustang is as quick as it was with the MT82 in it?

I don't want to spend a bunch of money and end up slower.

That would be a downgrade.

I have been crunching numbers using the gearing of the Tremec and MT82 transmissions using my current MT82 as a base with my 3:73 setup.

The numbers become interesting using different rear gear combos.

http://www.f-body.org/gears/

It's quicker! Less wheel spin in 1st and 2nd

Other than 1st gear in my MT82, I have good traction currently.

The reviews for quickness gained or lost across the net seem to be a mixed bag.

If I can figure out the formatting, maybe I will put up the numbers later today and we can examine them.

I have tailored my Mustang to run at 5,000ft altitude with the pulley swap recently. And now, it would appear I need to do the same with the transmission and rear gearing.

I used this calculator: http://www.f-body.org/gears/

Input for tires was 285/40/18 with redline at 7000.

MT82 gearing as follows:

The Tremec gearing as follows:

With my current arrangement MT82 and 3:73 gears, the top MPH speeds in the gears were:

41 62 89 114 151 232

Tremec TUKT 12021 close ratio transmission with 4:10 gears top MPH speeds were:

46 65 94 137 171 217

I like these numbers and think I am going this direction.

My current 3:73s are making a lot of noise on decel, so with the swap, I am going to 4:10s. I mean, I was going to have to open up the Torsen anyway.

If I don't like how everything works out, I can always go back to 3:73s.

For the most part, my situation is a bit unique in that I run at 5000ft of altitude, the car is not a DD, and when I do drive it, I like to open it up a little.

I liked my gear spacing and quickness of my MT82 and 3:73s and am trying to replicate things to be close to what I had.

Have I made the right choices? Time will tell.

My Mustang as built from SA was never an easy driving DD type car and a bit of a handful, and I am looking to keep it that way.

The math is not always perfect and reflective of the real world. However, the math tells me I should be running in gears 1-3 like I had an MT82 with a 3:55 rear end.

MT82 with 3:55s:

43 65 94 114 151 232

Tremec close ratio with 4:10s:

46 65 94 137 171 217

Question for MMcGuirk.

Do you remember whether you used the half inch spacer with your slave cylinder or not.

Apparently there is some debate over whether to reuse and reinstall that spacer when converting over to the Tremec XL Magnum.

Question for MMcGuirk.

Do you remember whether you used the half inch spacer with your slave cylinder or not.

Apparently there is some debate over whether to reuse and reinstall that spacer when converting over to the Tremec XL Magnum.

The spacer is required.

Thanks.

The wrong clutch was sent from McLeod (GT500), but the proper GT one should arrive the same day.

The Tremec kit was picked up by Conway last Friday and may even be delived tomorrow, according to the estimated delivery at their website.

I went with the polished chrome shifter sleeve and white Tremec ball knob.

20131103_141920_resized.jpgThanks.

The wrong clutch was sent from McLeod (GT500), but the proper GT one should arrive the same day.

The Tremec kit was picked up by Conway last Friday and may even be delived tomorrow, according to the estimated delivery at their website.

I went with the polished chrome shifter sleeve and white Tremec ball knob.

Shelby has a knob in the correct pitch for the Tremec shifter 12 x 1.75 20131103_141920_resized.jpg

Modern Driveline sent me a GT500 McLead clutch and flywheel and it works great. The GT clutch is 23 spline and you need a GT500 clutch 26 spline to mate to the magnum XL. I would give Bruce a call.

20131103_141920_resized.jpg

Is that shift knob this one?

http://www.shelbystore.com/Shelby-Six-Speed-White-Shift-knob-p/7s3z-7213-w6-75.htm

The description says it only fits the Shelby shift lever. Is that the one? Did you get the a different shift lever other than what came with your Trmec?

I talked with Bruce yesterday and he's the one who reordered whatever I need.

That was fast, the Tremec and drive shaft arrived at RWR today.

The clutch should arrive tomorrow.

I ordered the SA Shifter ball for the Tremec and am having that sent to RWR as well.

That was fast, the Tremec and drive shaft arrived at RWR today.

The clutch should arrive tomorrow.

I ordered the SA Shifter ball for the Tremec and am having that sent to RWR as well.

Nice! I'm sure it will work out great. Say hi to Rob for me. Let him know that I picked up a new converter and drive shaft for my car, so it will be heading his way sometime this winter to get tuned.

Will do.

The 4:10s are gonna help. Except for 4th gear, I should be running 1st thru 3rd like an MT82 with 3:55s.

That may not be a bad thing.

4th gear is just going to bite moose. Nothing I can do about it.

My application needs a stronger better transmission for the long haul.

Is that shift knob this one?

http://www.shelbystore.com/Shelby-Six-Speed-White-Shift-knob-p/7s3z-7213-w6-75.htm

The description says it only fits the Shelby shift lever. Is that the one? Did you get the a different shift lever other than what came with your Trmec?

I talked with Bruce yesterday and he's the one who reordered whatever I need.

It fits the Tremec shifter. Make sure the pitch is 12x1.75

Archived