TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Looking for better sound.......

I have an 07 SGT with the an Whipple 550 upgrade. I also have the Borla axle back "S" type exhaust. I am looking for a better sound, a more 70's muscle car sound with some rumble. The problem is that I know with the SC upgrade I am getting close to maxing this 4.6 liter V8 out. I do not track the car and it is not my daily driver. I am not looking for anymore performance out of the car just merely the perfect exhaust note to "my" ears. Any recommendations that would not stress the engine out anymore more? I am afraid with putting Ford Racing cams or Borla long tube headers I would be pushing the limits of my engine? Thanks for your help!

TNTChris

I have SLP Loudmouths with catalytic converters still in place. Slightly louder than stock mufflers at idle, but really sweet above 2000 rpm. No drone if you properly tune, i.e., adjust the exit pipe to extend out from below rear fascia, about two inches.

Sam

Are you looking for a better exhaust note are you wanting to get that lopy idle? I have the Ford Hot Rod Cams and love the way the car idles and the sound I get from the exhaust. I have had a lot of people tell me they like the sound even though I still have the Shelby exhaust setup.

What about just deleting the cats all together, and leaving replacing the exhaust with the Ford Racing? This should give you one a 13 to 20 HP boost and get you the sound your looking for. I have the 550 Whipple set up as well, on my SGT, and will be doing this exact mod int he very near future. I had the same question and want as you and this is what I was told from my mechanic, who is a Mustang Guru...

PS, If you wait about a month or so, I should have this mod completed and can tell you more about the results and sound, but not sure if you will (or can, lol) wiat that long...

Chris, why not add the Hot Rod cams for the 60's sound and change the pulley on your blower and drop you back to 475 (plus extra for the cams). That way you would have the sound and the longevity. Drop back to 5-7-9 psi on the blower. That will be good for the engine. And you could add the aluminum drive shaft which will be the equivalent of about 10 hp all allowing you to pick up hp without stress on the engine.

Oh, and forgot to mention, I'm supercharged with an Edelbrock E-Force, (5 psi). The exhaust note is amazingly sedate at idle and just loafing around, but definitely louder than stock exhaust. Gets loud at cold start when the engine goes to high-idle for a minute, and at WOT when the supercharger bypass closes and really pumps out the sound!

Sam

Chris, why not add the Hot Rod cams for the 60's sound and change the pulley on your blower and drop you back to 475 (plus extra for the cams). That way you would have the sound and the longevity. Drop back to 5-7-9 psi on the blower. That will be good for the engine. And you could add the aluminum drive shaft which will be the equivalent of about 10 hp all allowing you to pick up hp without stress on the engine.

I really like this idea. Best of all worlds! I have the aluminum drive shaft; added it this summer with some BMR subframe connectors. My only worry is that I had so many problems with the Ford Racing tune that came with my whipple I am scared to mess with it. I will talked to my performance mechanic and see what his thoughts are. great insight! Thanks Chris

Chris, the FRPP cams are supposed to be worth about 25 hp. The whipple for the 4.6 automatic, from Shelby, is supposed to be about 475 HP. However factor in your inter cooler. This would put you at around 500 but you would pick up extra since you have the combination. Probably back to 550 or even more so I would de-tune slightly. Like someone else said, tell the tuner what you want and have it do it for you. Then you know the results without having to guess. I think the 550's are living on borrowed time anyway.

Archived