TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Authentic Signature on airbag cover?

art4tees

Looking at buying this off another Shelby owner long distance but wanted other opinions as to if this looks legit. After seeing so many signatures including a signed visor in my Shelby, I say it is a good signature... The "by" looks a little f'd up, but you sign your name 10,000 times and it isn't always perfect.

Need opinions please...

Thanks!

post-38051-0-80228400-1382408733_thumb.jpg

post-38051-0-80228400-1382408733_thumb.jpg

Looking at buying this off another Shelby owner long distance but wanted other opinions as to if this looks legit. After seeing so many signatures including a signed visor in my Shelby, I say it is a good signature... The "by" looks a little f'd up, but you sign your name 10,000 times and it isn't always perfect.

Need opinions please...

Thanks!

If legit, the seller should also have a certificate of authenticity.

I have seen photos of the 2 small COA cards. They are consecutively numbered as they were supposedly signed at the same time at an event. Would that mean there would be no CSF donation letter with them?

I've never seen the Shelby Foundation use COA's at an event so if the seller is telling you that I'd have concerns.

Steve

If they do not give COA's at events, what documentation do you have that is is authentic? Putting a date along with the signature doesn't qualify. I have a visor signed and dated, but also have a COA. Now I AM confused...

To my knowledge, COA's were never given at events, only when items were signed at the foundation. You may want to check with licensing to verify that for sure. IF there ever was such a thing, it would be pretty rare and a pretty specific event where licensing was there on-site. But all the items I've had signed at events never had COA's. So buying a signed item from somebody without an actual photo at such an event, is just buyer beware. Heck, having a photo of such a thing is still buyer beware. I've seen things posted online for sale with a picture of the signing and have seen that same seller selling duplicate things with the same picture.

To my knowledge, COA's were never given at events, only when items were signed at the foundation. You may want to check with licensing to verify that for sure. IF there ever was such a thing, it would be pretty rare and a pretty specific event where licensing was there on-site. But all the items I've had signed at events never had COA's. So buying a signed item from somebody without an actual photo at such an event, is just buyer beware. Heck, having a photo of such a thing is still buyer beware. I've seen things posted online for sale with a picture of the signing and have seen that same seller selling duplicate things with the same picture.

Shelby Licensing is separate from the Shelby Foundation so if someone was curious how the Foundation operated their autograph program it would be best to contact the Shelby Foundation and not Shelby Licensing.

The issuing of COA's at autograph events really doesn't make much sense. For example Carroll just signed your airbag cover at an event and upon handing the cover back to you you're going to say, "Mr. Shelby I know you just autographed my airbag cover in front of me but I want a COA proving thats your signature". That's what I mean by it doesn't make much sense to issue a COA at an in person signing.

The COA's were more for items which were mailed into the Foundation so that the donor would feel more comfortable knowing that a secretary or autopen was not the source of the autograph.

Steve

I have had 100's of Shelby's Signatures and you can tell which ones are when he was in his 60's and which ones are recent, when he was in his 80's. PLUS, I have Certificates for the "Tribute Edition Shelby's" that I built under contract and he signed them in batches of 20 to 30 at a time and you can tell which ones were at the beginning of the batch and which ones were at the end of the batch. NOW, when he is at the Shows doing 2 or 3 HOURS of signing, they will be really different from the First to the Last.

ALSO.......... MOST of my items were signed in Person. The ones that I did send in to the foundation, some came back with OUT a COA and no Letter and some came back WITH a COA but no Letter. A few times, I have received a Letter Months later in the Mail several times.

Thanks guys for the opinions. I would bet these are legit, but just wanted other eyes to see them. I have an auto pen cover that I am taking off when I put this one on and as I said in the opening note, It looks solid to me except that the "by" was run together which I haven't seen before. They were done in June 2011, so he was getting up there in years at the time. I am making the buy.

I'd have to guess the at-event signatures without COAs or whatnot were supposed to be of such value to the receiver that contemplating need for a COA was not a consideration. Eh?

I took a picture of Carroll signing the stuff I had signed at the Shelby American Collection parties.

Archived