TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What tires will help my launch???

I am interested to hear what tires people recommend. Twice, I have taken my 2011 GT 500 w/MGW shifter out to the track and can't get my F1's to stop spinning through 1st or 2nd. I have ran 15 runs and tried everything (feathering it off the start and then getting into it) but nothing seems to make a difference. I am very experienced driving a manual transmission, but I have to let off the gas in 1st and 2nd to get traction. I am even willing to consider a good drag radial that can be used for daily summer driving.

Outside of tires, what else have you done to improve the launch?

Thanks,

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using Falken FK 453's. They are a heck of a lot cheaper than most of what's out there and Consumer Reports have them ranked as being a pretty good tire. I do break away in first but once they hook i'm good to go. But I guess when you're trying to launch a 500+hp car there's not much you can do about the wheels spinning. But since you are talking about drag radials, check out MT's drag radials or even the Nitto 555 series. But I really enjoy the Falkens due to them being a high performance tire that's cost effective. Many folks will pass on them but Falken tires have race history and still being used in races today. I'm sure they're not going to skimp on performance like many of the new tire companies on the scene.

I appreciate the recommendation.

I think that Falken and Toyo fall into a similar category --- both are cost effective and a good performance tire. Think I might peruse a drag radical. This is a second car and might even consider just throwing a serious drag radicals on the rear. Is it necessary that I have 4 matching tires for summer driving?

Necessary? Not at all. I'm going to nitto invos up front and 555s on the back. I was thinking about nt05s on the back but they are slippery as snot when wet and I tend to get caught in the rain from time to time.

If you are looking for a set of DR'S for the track get a set of NT05R's.

A lot depends on how much you drive and what conditions. I ran 555s on my last car year round DD and she held the pavement pretty good.

Toyo 888s are great. Lot of happy campers with continentals also.

• 2 weeks later...

If you haven't done so contact Kelly at BMR for an Upper and Lower, Van at Revan Racing will get you headed in the right direction. with the right springs. Lots of guys are using MT ET Streets with great results, or a set of Nitto Nt 05's. Good luck and have fun.

Spectre500 - I appreciate the reply and have begun considering some suspension upgrades. Why BMR for part of the suspension upgrades and Revan Racing for the rest? How much do you recommend lowering the car? Which model control arms do you recommend? I was recently at the track and talked to a guy with a 5.0 was laying down impressive numbers --- those were his two favorite modifications. Thanks!

Archived