TEAM SHELBY FORUM

True Forged hood vent

7ONE7

IIRC, mine took about a month to arrive, including a week-long journey through the USPS (despite the fact that Steve sent is via "2-day Priority Mail"...)

Well I spose that's good new in a way... I think April will be MOD month for May 1st out of storage so I have time.

Exterior of your car would look AH-some with some carbon accent pieces. "Red Barchetta"..... Nice! Make sure you leave the giant air car stranded at the one lane bridge and race back to the farm. You have a beautiful Shelby and the color combo is excellent.

Exterior of your car would look AH-some with some carbon accent pieces. "Red Barchetta"..... Nice! Make sure you leave the giant air car stranded at the one lane bridge and race back to the farm. You have a beautiful Shelby and the color combo is excellent.

Roush splitters being ordered this week. Tried to get an appropriate "BARCHTA" Custom Plate, wasn't available, so I went with FREEWIL.

Thanks for the compliment on the car.

• 2 months later...

Mine arrived on Friday, I had it installed in 30 minutes. Mine's gloss black with polished and cleared diamond grille insert. The thing looks like it's a factory piece, very nice! It's hard to imagine the car now with the old plastic piece... Highly recommended mod.

ddaf9d794e37b0b6cbfdf2f5ba5e6aa4_zpsd991

0cfdcad9cb076611eabbd6a634bf4353_zpse97b

Was there something there with your old one? I haven't got mine out yet but sure seems like there is?

Yes. The originals are installed with double-stick tape along the rear edge. Removal difficulty seems to vary, but mine was stuck pretty good. To get it out, you need to remove one nut from the rear center, disengage two plastic clips also on either side of the rear, and then separate the double-stick tape. The vent slides out to the rear, once all those things are clear. (Fortunately, it SOUNDS harder than it really is.) I should note that the billet retainers provided with the new vents have pre-drilled holes larger than the heads of the provided screws. I believe Steve normally includes washers, but they were excluded from both my shipments. If you get them with yours, you're all set. If not, you'll definitely need to get some to complete the install.

Speaking of "both" shipments, Steve@TrueForged contacted me in February offering to work out some of the "waviness" that doesn't appear on 7ONE7's vent. (Thanks, Steve!) I jumped at the chance and shipped mine back to him immediately. The "new and improved" vent I received on Friday looks great. Unfortunately, clouds moved in yesterday, in advance of the inclement weather we're experiencing now. I'll get some (updated) pics posted as soon as my schedule and the weather line-up...

Just as Norton said there's one screw, two clips, and a bit of 3M adhesive tape holding the old piece in. The screw and clips came out easy (there was a snap sound popping out each clip, but no damage done to the OEM hood vent). There was a bit of 3M tape but an Exacto knife took care of that. I was going to tape off the area to prevent damage to the surrounding paint but my wife had pulled the vent out 80% before I returned with the tape. We didn't bother.

Tip: Put a towel or blanket over your engine to protect against the inevitable dropping of washers/screws during the install. Saved me twice. Follow Steve's instructions and you'll be fine.

Mine didn't have any waviness to it but it did take two months to get here.

Ok all installed, less than amused though seemed more complicated than I read, had a hec of a time lining it up properly and the corners were and still are a little too high. Overall I think it's better than the plastic crap and maybe I am a bit anal. Question I had though and I will email true forged is whether the rivets and weld marks are supposed to show like this... Probably no way around it

5fb5e601880c6c3d5bbcb415658d986f_zps3664

4223c0166f1f471bec4439bdb77b126c_zpsfc0e

Anyway here is a after picture.......

6fd05cbbee96216083e69d5fbe1a809a_zps9fcc

Mine didn't have any waviness to it but it did take two months to get here.

Mine took about a month to arrive the first time. The "new and improved" version I mentioned above took another two months. It was a LONG wait, but these look a LOT better than the OEM plastic pieces they replace.

Ok all installed, less than amused though seemed more complicated than I read, had a hec of a time lining it up properly and the corners were and still are a little too high. Overall I think it's better than the plastic crap and maybe I am a bit anal. Question I had though and I will email true forged is whether the rivets and weld marks are supposed to show like this... Probably no way around it

5fb5e601880c6c3d5bbcb415658d986f_zps3664

4223c0166f1f471bec4439bdb77b126c_zpsfc0e

Anyway here is a after picture.......

6fd05cbbee96216083e69d5fbe1a809a_zps9fcc

Looks great! Unfortunately, the weld marks are par for the course. Steve@TrueForged posted an explanation in response to the original pics I posted at SVTP. (I THINK it's in this thread, but I'll confirm if/when the site returns from its recent "upgrade"...)

IMHO... I don't care for the look. They look homemade by guys who do HVAC work. It's not a piece that's as clean looking or finished to the quality as the paint and pieces that are on our '13-'14 cars.

Then how do you feel about the OEM plastic piece.....

IMHO... I don't care for the look. They look homemade by guys who do HVAC work. It's not a piece that's as clean looking or finished to the quality as the paint and pieces that are on our '13-'14 cars.

Always the comedian, MOUNT-N-SLOT... (OEM) PLASTIC that looks dry and porous is what looks out of place on a $60K sports car.

At the risk of stating the obvious, most of the mods we do are a matter of PERSONAL PREFERENCE. Not everyone would choose the ones you've installed either. Rather than insult those with different tastes, it might actually be better to refrain from comment.

Then how do you feel about the OEM plastic piece.....

I hate the way the factory textured black plastic factory par cuts the hood in half. Especially on my white / blue stripe '14 GT500.

But I like and respect the engineering that went into the part by the SVT Team in their quest for 200 MPH+. The size of the opening, shape of the cut-outs and the shape itself must have been aero tweaked as part of the entire car.

I bought an extra factory part for $105 and for $250, had a pro shop sand, prep and paint to match the car. Works like the factory intended and looks like the car.

Always the comedian, MOUNT-N-SLOT... (OEM) PLASTIC that looks dry and porous is what looks out of place on a $60K sports car.

At the risk of stating the obvious, most of the mods we do are a matter of PERSONAL PREFERENCE. Not everyone would choose the ones you've installed either. Rather than insult those with different tastes, it might actually be better to refrain from comment.

All of the other plastic parts on the outside of the $67K car, Rear Diffuser, License Plate Filler, Gurney Flap, Heat Extractor, Grills, Front Splitters all have the same plastic, porous texture. In my opinion, the one plastic part that looks out of place and poorly done is the Heat Extractor, presenting a perfect opportunity for a custom mod based on personal preference.

I wasn't insulting the choice of posters to choose the Tru-Forged part. That's personal preference.

I was making a comment about the quality of finish on the Tru-Forged piece. The weld marks and waviness of the part you & PGODDEN received doesn't match the quality of the factory sheet metal on the car. It looks like it's fabricated in a shop vs. a factory part made by Ford, Saleen, Rousch or Shelby would make or sell.

Mine took about a month to arrive the first time. The "new and improved" version I mentioned above took another two months. It was a LONG wait, but these look a LOT better than the OEM plastic pieces they replace.

Looks great! Unfortunately, the weld marks are par for the course. Steve@TrueForged posted an explanation in response to the original pics I posted at SVTP. (I THINK it's in this thread, but I'll confirm if/when the site returns from its recent "upgrade"...)

Norton, does you new one have the weld marks or any wave to it?

I hate the way the factory textured black plastic factory par cuts the hood in half. Especially on my white / blue stripe '14 GT500.

But I like and respect the engineering that went into the part by the SVT Team in their quest for 200 MPH+. The size of the opening, shape of the cut-outs and the shape itself must have been aero tweaked as part of the entire car.

I bought an extra factory part for $105 and for $250, had a pro shop sand, prep and paint to match the car. Works like the factory intended and looks like the car.

To each their own. Not all mods will be like by all. I think the piece is an upgrade over stock.

Steve, Anxious to see pictures when you get a chance.

pgodden, I hope the vent did not chip your paint. I am hoping it is just a photographic artifact.

I have read that the CF unit JLT sells has an excellent fit and finish. I may look into that. I don't love or hate CF. I would like it better if all the Ricer car guys did not go overboard with it.

Steve, Anxious to see pictures when you get a chance.

pgodden, I hope the vent did not chip your paint. I am hoping it is just a photographic artifact.

I have read that the CF unit JLT sells has an excellent fit and finish. I may look into that. I don't love or hate CF. I would like it better if all the Ricer car guys did not go overboard with it.

No.... No chip.... Just the light

Speaking of "both" shipments, Steve@TrueForged contacted me in February offering to work out some of the "waviness" that doesn't appear on 7ONE7's vent. (Thanks, Steve!) I jumped at the chance and shipped mine back to him immediately. The "new and improved" vent I received on Friday looks great. Unfortunately, clouds moved in yesterday, in advance of the inclement weather we're experiencing now. I'll get some (updated) pics posted as soon as my schedule and the weather line-up...

Still no sync between my schedule and the weather, for outdoor pics, but I snapped a few in the garage this afternoon...
IMG_0072_zps73a26abf.jpg
IMG_0071_zps5b03dff0.jpg
IMG_0074_zps7a5adeea.jpg

Archived