TEAM SHELBY FORUM

True Forged hood vent

7ONE7

I just received my custom True Forged hood vent. It was a very easy install, it took longer to remove the stock plastic one.......A very nice high quality piece, I went with a satin black with a polished and cleared insert.

IMG_25231_zps8e114fb6.jpg

IMG_25242_zps278222c8.jpg

Indeed! That has me re-thinking adding one of these to my mod list. May I ask how much it cost?

Mine was $500, depends on the finish though. Single color starts at around $400 shipped I think.

• 4 weeks later...

Straight from True Forged. www.trueforgedwheels.com. You can order exactly how you want it, powdercoated in your color, brushed natural, painted etc.....

On their site, they have a different, less attractive and more restrictive screen.

Is yours the new type or did you special request that? Does it have a name?

• 1 month later...
Mine arrived a couple of weeks ago, but cold and inclement weather prevented doing anything with it. Last week's good weather allowed me to get the Shelby out for a couple of days, so I decided to install the hood vent. Removing the old one was the hardest part of the job. Though not overly difficult, it took a few minutes to figure the best way to disengage it from the hood and clean off some residual double-sided tape. The new one looks great! The satin black finish complements the stripes much better than the OEM plastic vent. It's a WELL-MADE and HIGH-QUALITY piece, though perhaps not quite as "clean" as 7ONE7's.

I encountered two "issues" during installation: First, it sits a fraction of an inch further back than the original. (No amount of coaxing would bring it any further forward.) Unfortunately, that makes some tiny wear marks (that were UNDER the front edge of the original) visible. Gotta see what I can do about that... Second, screw holes in the billet aluminum squares (used to secure the new vent) are larger than the heads of the supplied screws. I ended up installing an additional washer on each to prevent them from simply pulling through.

IMG_0050_zpsf93eb0e5.jpg

IMG_0053_zpsab08dce1.jpg

IMG_0060_zpsfef45b08.jpg

Norton, thanks for posting.

No problem! In answer to the question you asked above (regarding screen types), TF makes these in three styles: Standard "Speed Grill" Mesh, Diamond Mesh, and Louvered. Available finishes include Satin Black, Gloss Black, Gunmetal, White, Torch Red, and Natural Aluminum with Clear Coat. Two-tone finishes are also available and rivets can be added if you like that look. (Mine is Diamond Mesh in Satin Black with No Rivets.)

Looks great.... I went to buy one but it doesn't say that it is compatible with 2014. Don't understand why it wouldn't be but always concerns me when it say to 2013

I don't recall any body changes between the 2013 and 2014 MYs, so I'm sure they're compatible. Contact Steve at True Forged to confirm availability and options. (Email is info@trueforgedwheels.com and phone is 818-357-2531.)

I don't recall any body changes between the 2013 and 2014 MYs, so I'm sure they're compatible. Contact Steve at True Forged to confirm availability and options. (Email is info@trueforgedwheels.com and phone is 818-357-2531.)

I will contact them for sure, I really don't like the factory one. It's the only thing on the car that I Think they failed on.

Norton, the one you bought is completely satin black? No screws etc that are silver?sure

Looks sweet

I will contact them for sure, I really don't like the factory one. It's the only thing on the car that I Think they failed on.

Norton, the one you bought is completely satin black? No screws etc that are silver?sure

Looks sweet

Thank you! I definitely agree with you, that Ford could/should have done something better than the porous plastic they used for our OEM vents. Mine is 100% SATIN BLACK with NO RIVETS or (visible) screws. (I have a friend who bought a satin black LOUVERED version for his 2013 DIB GT500 at the same time I bought mine. He hasn't installed his yet, but I'm looking forward to some pics when he does.)

Good luck and make sure you keep us posted!

Pictures of the "speed grill" mesh and louvered versions are available in this thread.

Thanks Norton, I really am not big on those louvered ones, will order the same as you I guess. First step into mods.... Geez there is a lot of stuff out there. Liking the custom mats too.......

• 3 weeks later...

Archived