TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GTS going SOLO

Morgan19d

Now that I am in the warmer environment of South Carolina I am going to start racing my GTS. I joined the SCCA today and will be attending a SOLO (autocross) event on 27 Oct. This will be my first one ever so I am very stoked and a little nervous. But, as many have said, it's an open area so the only thing I might hurt will be my ego!

I have been searching the SCCA rules and I know that each region has some flexibility, but what class do you think I will be put into. the normal V6 Mustang is set to run in DS, but with the GTS conversion, I believe I may have to run in STX? Any ideas? I plan on asking the question on the SC Region's forum, but haven't been granted access yet.

I will definately be taking everyone's advice about items to take to the track day too!

It's not a worthwhile investment to worry about classing at your first (or second, or third ... ) Solo event, Pump up your tires, empty the stuff out of your car, and tell the registrar "whatever" when it comes to class. Many SCCA regions have "Novice" class for recent arrivals. Here locally, they let novices run with any class, so you can choose to run after watching a couple of groups run, which is an advantage early on. I don't know what the "GTS conversion" consists of, but it shouldn't make much difference until you decide Solo is for you, and run the whole year in one class.

In any class, it's going to be great fun. Smooth is fast, look far ahead, don't coast much. Enjoy it. That's what it is for.

Frank, I went back and read the Region rules and it states you have to run Novice class for the first 2-3 events and can then run a specific class. Also stated that they would help determine the proper class during that time. Thanks for the advice! This is going to be fun.

Frank, I went back and read the Region rules and it states you have to run Novice class for the first 2-3 events and can then run a specific class. Also stated that they would help determine the proper class during that time. Thanks for the advice! This is going to be fun.

Always good to read the rules and to have a GOOD TIME !!!!

Glad to see another Shelby out on track - Enjoy the Ride Morgan19d

• 2 weeks later...

Take everything out of your Car that you will not need including ALL Loose items. Also fill up your Gas Tank. Several friends tried a Half Tank and a Full Tank and all have said the Cars did better with a Full Tank.

Always good to read the rules and to have a GOOD TIME !!!!

Glad to see another Shelby out on track - Enjoy the Ride Morgan19d

I read the rules, but had to do it again... amazing what you miss when you're just kind of skimming! I plan to have a blast. I just hope I don't do TOO poorly on my first venture, especially with driving a Shelby!

Take everything out of your Car that you will not need including ALL Loose items. Also fill up your Gas Tank. Several friends tried a Half Tank and a Full Tank and all have said the Cars did better with a Full Tank.

Thanks for the tip. I plan to fill up just before the track. Going to take this next week to get some boxes set that I can store track supplies in and empty anything I don't need into once at the track.

Archived