TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Explanation of strange sound - drag racing

NMAv

OK, I've not drag race a car in many years and never one with a super charger. I was watching some DR videos last night and noticed that right before a GT500 launches it makes this Ratatatata sound like the car has hit the rev limiter or something. Is that the case? Do you launch at full throttle. I suspect clutches don't last long if you do.

Sorry, might be a silly question but ...

OK, I've not drag race a car in many years and never one with a super charger. I was watching some DR videos last night and noticed that right before a GT500 launches it makes this Ratatatata sound like the car has hit the rev limiter or something. Is that the case? Do you launch at full throttle. I suspect clutches don't last long if you do.

Sorry, might be a silly question but ...

Yeah, it's the rev limiter.

Phill

Usually you find rev limiters like that on the more serious amateur and pro drag cars, 10s and quicker.

For one thing most GT500s would never hook up at all with a max rpm launch like that, unless it had some serious suspension work, slicks etc.

As for the clutch, you will find that higher hp cars usually run an automatic as well, like the newer Cobra Jets.

Besides durability, a properly setup automatic is pretty hard to beat for consistency.

A transbrake and a high stall converter will allow an automatic car to launch as hard as any stick car.

Archived