TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I'm Crazy (my mother had me tested)

jsimmons

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or there's always this one of the a fellow Team Shelby member and his actual Terlingua Shelby. However full race car, not a street car. Looks like yours is coming along nicely. Yep, I agree that you are nuts. You must not live in an emissions state! :)

PMP20127.jpg

Update from yesterday:

- The exhaust is finished and permanently on the car

- Power harness is modified and wired up (including starter and alternator. We ended up with only 5 or 6 wires not directly related to power being needed, because most of the harness involved with the power steering rack (that is no longer present).

- MSD module and coil are wired up

- A/C clutch harness is run but not connected yet

- Transmission clutch has been bled and we have what appears to be proper throwout bearing operation

- Battery is back in the car

We now have enough wiring installed to start the car, but we didn't have the regulator plug to finish the fuel system (will have that Monday), and I'm having a bit of difficult finding a 3/8 NPT 90-degree fitting with a 3/8 hose bar on it for the PCV valve (all other solutions have been too tall). I'm gonna hit Lowe's and Home Depot today to see if they have anything.

We still have to wire up the transmission (speedo and reverse solenoid), and tackle the ECU harness. We've identified all of the connectors, and we have to tread carefully when removing stuff because we want to make sure that what we remove doesn't somehow have an impact on what we actually need to keep (throttle position, cylinder head temp, crank position).

BTW, I used the Ford Service Manual for a 2011 Mustang to identify the wires, and some of the wire colors changed for the 2012 model year.

In short, 99% of the nuts and bolts stuff is done, and we're down to the electrical stuff. Not bad - two weeks in and we're almost finished with what I would loosely call a significant swap. Sorry for no pictures today, but all of the wiring is pretty well hidden, and the rest of the engine bay still looks mostly like it did the day before.

Yesterday, we were working on electrical stuff.

0) We got the alternator hooked up and charging the battery

1) The radiator fan is working

2) The key now starts the car

3) The tach works

Issues:

0) We had to electrically connect the automatic trans to the car (and put it in park) to get the engine to start with the key. We're not sure yet what we have to do to bypass this circuit.

1) ALL of the lights are on in the instrument cluster when the engine is running. Some we know why (seat belt, air bag, traction control, oil pressure), the others need to be turned off somehow.

2) We discovered a water leak. On small block Fords, there's a backing plate on the water pump. This plate is connected to the water pump with a couple of screws. It seems that the screws on my water pump (bought at Summit Racing) the screws are too tall, and they're keeping the pump from sealing all the way. This means we have to dismantle the entire front of the engine to remove the pump and fix the problem. This is about four hours of work, and everything else is on hold until it's fixed.

Yesterday:

0) We wired up the transmission and found that the speedo does in fact work. This concludes our OEM instrument cluster stuff. The speedo, tach, and fuel gauge all seem to work.

1) We decided to bypass the sim start feature and ran a wire directly from the ignition switch to the starter relay. We no longer have any starting issues.

Today, we're going to finish up the electrical, fix the water pump, address the exhaust decibel level, and weld the rear slip joint on the drive shaft.

Swap Day 14:

Finished up the electrical (kinda - see item 3 and 4).

0) We don't know why, but we have to jumper the harness (in the trunk) to get the fuel pump to work.

1) Reverse lockout, clutch switch (prevents car from starting without clutch being pressed in), tack, speed, fuel gauge all seem to work

2) Connected AFR gauge and existing analog gauges

3) For some reason, the fan only gives us low-speed rotation. We decided to remove the throttle position sensor, and move to a fan switch/relay kit.

4) The shop guys want to use a NOS WOT switch to turn off the A/C. I think maybe the TPS can be used for that instead. I'm gonna do some research.

After the electrical was done, we decided to start the car again to check out water temp and oil pressure. The good news - 60-70 pounds of oil pressure. The bad news - temp went up to 235 and we shut it off. It doesn't seem like the cooling system is working like it should. Tuesday, they're gonna pull the water pump off to grind down the backing plate screws, and make sure the thermostat is working okay.

Well, we removed the water pump, and the shop happened to have a discarded pump, so we removed the backing plate allen-head cap screws, and replaced them with the bolts from the bad pump. Problem soolved. We'll be getting our termal rad fan switch and NOS WOT switch today, and we'll be ready to tune the car. Looking for street duty by Friday/Saturday.

Test Drive! We drove it about 10 miles this evening (no hood or bumper cover). We should be completely done by Friday, and we're going to a car meet to celebrate. When the car is completely back together, I'll post another video or two or three.

Man - I don't have the words - and I know a lot of them!

Love the details, too. Like the Ford Racing badge on the front air intake!

Sounds awesome!

Thing is - very few people will appreciate the time, effort, and money you've put into this car!

We do!!

Texas Rocks! :worship:

• 2 weeks later...

At this month's cars & coffee event:

after_swap_01.jpg

after_swap_02.jpg

The typical reactions have been :

- People in "family cars" just stare, open-mouthed (and the kids are plastered on the windows oohing and ahhhing

- Guys in Camaros have that "I wish my car sounded like that" look on the face

- Guys in Challengers try to avoid having me notice that they've been staring

- Ricers try to sit even lower in their cars as if to hide from the awesomeness that is Ford power

- Old people look at me as if they wish they could scold me for killing the planet

- Other S197 Mustang guys are awe-struck.

Young kids have a difficult time identifying the carburetor, and older guys have a hard time resolving the pushrod motor in a 2012 Mustang. I think what throws them is that it looks like it came from the factory that way (Chris and JR at Two Ten took great pains to make it look clean, and John Woodall provided some mad fab skills).

When I leave car meets, there are so many people observing and recording that I can almost not get out of the parking lot. NO other late model Mustang/Shelby/Boss (in the area) sounds like it. :)

I'm sure that car guys that see the "427" badge on the hood when it's parked are thinkin', "yeah, sure". When I leave work, there's a black GT500 parked next to my car. I wonder what he thinks.

Out of all that, everything that is this project, my first thought was, "Where's his battery?..............Oh, its hiding by in the back of the bay; neat"

:reading: I think its a case of sensory overload - be back after coffee.

That's the stock location. I will be eventually relocating it to the trunk, and putting a catch can and/or vacuum reservoir in that position.

Archived