TEAM SHELBY FORUM

KR scam

sheppd01

July 2010 08KR0918 was listed on AutoTrader for $25,000 and used the same pictures. The VIN listed at that time came back as a 2008 GT.

Looks like they are giving it another try. This time they did not provide a VIN. :doh:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=25414&endYear=2009&keywordPhrases=shelby&modelCode1=MUST&showcaseOwnerId=1361428&startYear=2008&makeCode1=FORD&firstRecord=101&numRecords=100&searchRadius=0&mmt=%5BFORD%5BMUST%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=356407451&listingIndex=13&Log=0

Dunn, NC is about two hours from me. I would be tempted to drive over and see for myself. If the car was a GT converted to look like a Shelby, the guy did a lot of work and is losing his arse. Would make a nice track day car. If it truly is a scam (which it probably is and the car does not exist) I'm sure local law enforcement would be interested.

I agree. This guy should be stopped. I really doubt it is a converted KR. Plus he would not be able to get the CSM engine and dash plates. I think we should bombard this guy with requests then let him know we are on to him. One of my best friends is a cop. Maybe he could help us out.

All we really need is the VIN #.

Perhaps someone can inquire about the VIN# so a "carfax" could be run before negotiations begin ;)

Did that before I posted here. Email no reply.

There is a phone # but have not called.

I've got a feeling that the actual car in the photos is legit, and maybe even the guy posting is the owner. But obviously he's not legitimately selling a real KR for $25k.

Here's my 2 guesses:

1. he's trying to play the scam where he's pretending to be in need of quick cash looking for someone who will bite fast and not think twice about a request for a weird payment method and buying site-unseen, such as a wire transfer with pickup at a 3rd-party location. With an offshore account in some uncooperative countries, there's probably no chance of finding this guy, and no need for him to even build or provide a clone. It's just a money scam.

2. he has an actual KR in the photos and a clone on the side, which he is pulling a bait-and-switch hoping that in-person inspection will miss the details.

Building an accurate clone is a lot of work for very little profit, so unless the clone was made prior to 2011 before the prices dropped to the low-$50's, it would be a waste of time and money to make one. My guess is #1

I encountered a guy recently whom I wanted to buy a 66 Fastback GT 350 clone and he stated the car was in the possession of Google Wallet and he would only transact the deal via Google Wallet.... so I Googled it and there were tons of hits about this scam.

That's not the first time I see a scam like that. It's easy to take pictures on the internet and use them for a phony ad.This actually occured with the KR that I bought. I saw it first for sale on Ebay from the real owner, where some of the pictures showed the car with a Quebec licence plate. About two weeks later (after the Ebay auction had ended with no one meeting the reserve),I saw some of the same pictures on Autotrader.ca (but none of those where the licence plate appeared), with an ad stating that the car was located in Alberta and for sale for $10,000, I contacted the real seller through Ebay to inform him of the situation, and also inquirerd about his KR at the same time. That got the ball rolling and I ultimately ended up buying the car..

I have no doubt that the car pictured is a real KR. The scammer that posted it for sale most likely doesn’t own it.

The last time it was posted for sale at $25,000 it was listed in TX. Same pictures…….

AutoTrader emailed me as said they are removing the listing from there site. Doesn’t it cost money to put a car on AutoTrader?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived