TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Looking for any and all input on this 66 GT350 for sale

From the pictures it looks like a decent driver. It's been significantly changed from original, engine, transmission, etc.

I would inspect for rust, leaks. A test drive would be best since it's a "driver".

Good luck.

Sounds like a good deal to me as the seller has noted all the modifications from original. You could also check on the SAAC forum to see if there has been any discussion about this Shelby.

Great ideas....................................Would be a really really cool addition to any garage.

You really need to have this car inspected by a Shelby expert. I see lots and lots of rust underneath and there have been very aggressive repairs (frame railes) - yikes The original engine and transmission are gone. Many expensive underhood parts gone. Looks like they took little effort to prep the car for a repaint so I'll let my imagination run wild about what's under there. I give kudos to the seller for documenting things with photos very well, but photos only can tell so much of the story here.

I intend to look at this car as it is in my back door (not to purchase just looking). Did notice in one of the pictures the rear fender just behind the wheel may have had a rust issue but would need to look at it in person.

Awesome! Can you pm me or post your observations here? Thanks!

Awesome! Can you pm me or post your observations here? Thanks!

OK, I went and looked at the car. I am no expert and it's just my observations and opinions. I agree with ITHERTZ66 ( no real effort in the re-paint). It was a mask and paint. Door jams etc excluded. Door handles were not removed. It appears to have some rust issues in the trunk wheel areas. The sales person says an original 4-speed is being included with the car. Currently a 5-speed is in the car. The original auto-trans (this was a automatic when new) is MIA along with the original motor. Looks like it had a reconditioned gas tank installed or it was cleaned and reinstalled with sheet metal screws. Needs some chrome work. The car was listed for $119K and now reduced to its current listing. Its a driver and has been raced by the owner and son (not a bad thing).

I think if I was looking for a GT350, I would want as much of the original pieces as possible (even a non running engine) and I think this car is missing some of that. Not sure if $99K is worth the car as it sits. I would be inclined to work on the price and try to get it cheaper if it was me. That's for a Shelby expert to chime in. I would not be afraid to drive/track this one and enjoy. I would work with SAAC to get as much info on this car as possible and even have someone look at it with you. All depends on what you want to do with the car.

Good luck

They also have a CSX 4000 cobra. 427 looks nice.

I looked at this car as well when I was in Monterey on biz last Thursday, and without even talking about the mods,(i'm ok with 5 speed conversions assuming the original trans is shrink wrapped on a pallet and in ones possession) the car itself (paint) is very rough, the panel gaps all over and are terrible and inconsistent, both doors do not close correctly with the bottoms flaring out well beyond the jams and rockers, if you look closely you can see it in the pix....no bueno amigos...

I didn't get on the ground, because I saw enough up top to keep walking...

They told me they were down to 99k, and it needs to come down a whole lot more than that. There are other "driver" quality cars out there that are much better at near the same price.

I looked at this car as well when I was in Monterey on biz last Thursday, and without even talking about the mods,(i'm ok with 5 speed conversions assuming the original trans is shrink wrapped on a pallet and in ones possession) the car itself (paint) is very rough, the panel gaps all over the car are terrible and inconsistent, both doors do not close correctly with the bottoms flaring out....no bueno amigos...

I didn't get on the ground, because I saw enough up top to keep walking...

They told me they were down to 99k, and it needs to come down a whole lot more than that. There are "driver" quality cars out there that are much better at near the same price.

Tom, I agree with your assessment as well. Car is not something I would purchase but each to their own depending on intent. Original auto trans and motor is MIA.

I will defer to others on the price. You may want to have a Shelby expert check it out and provide a recommended starting point. I strongly believe it is over priced for what it is. CaliKR has a vintage Shelby and may be able to chime in on his thoughts as he is very knowledgeable. You may also want to post your intent with the car. As I stated, the car is in a condition that I would not hesitate to drive it, track etc. Just not for 99K. If it is to be restored, then to what degree as that could be a concern with missing parts.

My intent Would be to drive it, track day and treat it as a semi daily driver, I have a work car but for personal use I like Shelby's...;@)

Can anyone recommend a Shelby expert appraiser in the area of Monterey.

I like the car for the mods. To me I prefer them to stock 289 and auto.

I am wanting to be certain that the value is fair.

Thats all. Bad paint if car is solid just means I can park where I want. And repaint properly if I ever look to resell.

Rusted out subframes not so welcome.

Thanks guys

I think for what you want, this car meets that driver aspect. Would not be afraid to drive it. Have it checked out, and work on determining price for this condition. FYI, The frame connectors and LCAs looked good and solid. Might want to PM either CaliKR or MMcGuirik on this site as they may have contact folks through SAAC.

Archived