TEAM SHELBY FORUM

California Smog

AstroDan

When I bought my car new in 09, I had to get it smogged because I bought it from a dealer in Colorado. During the SGT conversion in Vegas, the Hertz hood was swapped for the factory one and no emission sticker was placed on it.

Guess what??? It failed because there was no emission sticker on the hood. Luckily Bud hooked me up with one and when I went back to get it smogged it passed with flying colors.

This January, I had to get it smogged again, as the car is now 6 years old. This time it had the whipple on it. I reloaded the stock tune, took it in and it passed. Afterwards I reloaded my John Lund tune and life is good.

Just my experience with CA smog laws.

Dan

NICE.............................. :thumbsup:

When I bought my car new in 09, I had to get it smogged because I bought it from a dealer in Colorado. During the SGT conversion in Vegas, the Hertz hood was swapped for the factory one and no emission sticker was placed on it.

Guess what??? It failed because there was no emission sticker on the hood. Luckily Bud hooked me up with one and when I went back to get it smogged it passed with flying colors.

This January, I had to get it smogged again, as the car is now 6 years old. This time it had the whipple on it. I reloaded the stock tune, took it in and it passed. Afterwards I reloaded my John Lund tune and life is good.

Just my experience with CA smog laws.

Dan

That should probably read as your experience with a inexperienced tech as there is no law for an emission label to be affixed onto the car for a smog check.

And your example is no different than the hundreds of Super Snakes out there. They too had their hood replaced by SAI and no emission label was ever re-applied. They pass smog checks all the time.

Same with the 1,000 GT-H cars. No emission labels and they too pass smog checks all the time. Although to be fair SAI does receive phone calls every once and a while from GT-H owners who have run into an inexperienced smog tech telling them they need a label. Since SAI has never had any 2006 emission labels all we've done is explained to the owner that a emission label is not required and to find another shop or call the referee office to set that station/tech right.

Smog checks are like buying a car from the dealership, many times the consumer needs to be more informed then the tech or salesperson they are dealing with.

Steve

That should probably read as your experience with a inexperienced tech as there is no law for an emission label to be affixed onto the car for a smog check.

I gotta agree with Steve here. And to add, not necessarily a inexperienced tech but more likely a incompetent tech.

As a Certified Instructor I had mandatory meetings and seminars with BAR. One of THE biggest issues with lawbreakers was more from incompetent techs rather than unscrupulous or inexperience techs.

Like I said, If *I* had a car come in with a apparent ENGINE CHANGE, I'd look up the VIN to see what engine was supposed to be in the vehicle before failing it (if it checked out wrong) and sending it to a Referee Station for a BAR label. By law, it it had a ENGINE CHANGE (meaning a different engine FAMILY that what the VIN says), I'm supposed to send the owner to a BAR Referee to have him/her determine what emissions equipment is supposed to be on the vehicle and affix a BAR label to it stating the required systems.

I've had students that were GREAT test takers that should never be allowed under the hood of a car, let alone making a pass/fail determination on a civilians smog status.

And then there ARE the crooked guys that will either fail a car to get smog work out of the customer or the guys that will take cash under the table to pass a car that fails (called "Clean Piping").

Phill

OK. I got the correct sticker in the mail Thursday.

Is the consensus on here to peel off wrong label and affix new in it's place?

I would. But that's just me....

Phill

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

THIS is the sticker you need (see attachment).

Anyone who needs one can send their mailing address to BillC@ShelbyAmerican.com, and it will be sent right out, free of charge. Just put "Need 2007 SGT Emissions Sticker" in the email Subject.

Thanks,

Jer

attachicon.gif2007 Emissions Sticker SGT.jpg

...and am I right in assuming there is one for 2008 as well? ...mine was never replaced after the accident

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this is a long time after the last post on this subject but I am now trying to get a new smog sticker form Shelby. I tried the email from Jer to email Bill but that email address does not go through anymore. Does anyone have a current email address that I can get? I really need a updated Smog sticker that does not say EGR on it. Thanks guys. Hoping to get a response so smog is no issue for all of these California cars. SGT Norcal edition #5316. Thanks, Lynno

Lynno,

I just so happen to have an extra smog sticker. When my car was upgraded at SAI they put one on. I didn't realize it at the time and ordered one. Here is what it looks like. BTW I have a NorCal Edition also #5221. Give me a call and I'll get it mailed out to you. 714-402-6579

Nick

image.jpg

I know this is a long time after the last post on this subject but I am now trying to get a new smog sticker form Shelby. I tried the email from Jer to email Bill but that email address does not go through anymore. Does anyone have a current email address that I can get? I really need a updated Smog sticker that does not say EGR on it. Thanks guys. Hoping to get a response so smog is no issue for all of these California cars. SGT Norcal edition #5316. Thanks, Lynno

You really need to call Shelby American on the telephone. This forum is not their primary support tool.

Nick thanks to you now I have a upgraded smog sticker. Nothing like great Team Shelby members sticking together. Will talk to you soon and again much appreciated. Lynno

• 1 year later...

Reopening for discussion:

I have recently moved to California and trying to get my 2008 Shelby GT smog passed. All seems good except the visual for the cold air intake. Is there anyone available I could talk to to provide a required California approved certificate?

My car # is 08SGT0492.

Thank you!

I have recently moved to California and trying to get my 2008 Shelby GT smog passed. All seems good except the visual for the cold air intake. Is there anyone available I could talk to to provide a required California approved certificate?

My car # is 08SGT0492.

Thank you!

Call Shelby American.

My car # is 08SGT0492.

Thank you!

I've got 3 SAI cars that I smogged, and the techs at those facilities knew they were stock, and did it without question.

Some cars are missing a sticker. Like I said, you should call Shelby American.

I think the cars that were missing the stickers were all 07's. I'm pretty sure all the 08's had them. That being said, you need to take it to another place, that smog station obviously doesn't know about these cars.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/89678-california-smog-certification/?hl=smog

Archived