TEAM SHELBY FORUM

So what causes this??

gotoatz

Hello All,

So since I received my 2011 back in April, I have always noticed that the car seems to "follow" road grooves, ridges, etc. It always seemed to drift a bit to me. Had the car aligned about month ago. While it seemed to have centered the steering wheel a bit, (not that far off center) it still follows.....

I have usually written this off to the soft stock tires, but now i am starting to wonder. Don't notice anything like this in the Bullitt or the 05. It's a bit irritating......

Anyone have any ideas as to the cause, or experience the same thing?

Thx,

Mike

It's owed to the tires - especially the F-1 G: 2s and before they're fully warmed-up in particular.

They're like wide hockey pucks otherwise and the stiff sidewalks don't help. They tend to find changes in the road surface and pull the nose along with them.

They're excellent track tires - and even not TOO bad on the street once they're good and warmed. Otherwise, they're miserable bastards and a primary reason I keep them set aside for the track.

Funny. I never noticed this issue with my 2012.

I also have not had this issue with my 2012 and have over 12,000 miles of driving on all types of roads. But maybe I'm just too old to notice.

You know what rocky, I think you have a good point. At 66, I may be so old that I think it is me that is "following the grooves" and not the car!

I think you are on to something, we need to poll the old guys to see if your idea is correct, oh no I just noticed its after 8:00 time for bed.

Thanks Gents.....

The tires on the 2011 are the stock tires. They are much softer than the other two. The 05 and the Bullitt are both wearing Toyos. The 05 tires are wider than the Shelby, but the Bullitt is not.

Oh and hey, at 58, I am sticking with the story that it is the tires......!!! :boring: :boring::boring: It really can be quite annoying, and sometimes a bit dangerous....The right groove or unlevel surface can really toss you side to side....But then again, I have never heard real good things about the stock Goodyears......

Thx,

Mike

Its more to do with the tread pattern and rubber compound than the actual tire width. So sticky tires with an aggressive tread will give you a workout with the steering wheel on some roads.

Steve

:yup:

The little Cobra has Goodyear Billboards and that car will follow every groove and snail trail on the road......sure keeps you alert.

Had a low performance car ('97 Sebrng JXi convertible) with hi-performance Falken tires. I thought something was BAD wrong with the car. Dove and dodged and wandered with every ripple in the pavement. Falkens wore out and I put something more in line with the car's performance and ...... no problems. I notice it on the GT 500 only slightly.....gets worse as the tires wear (I'm on my 2nd set of F-1's).

MIke,

It's the F1 G:2's. I had the same issue on my 2011 SVTPP. Most of this goes away once they warm up...

What he said.

P. S. Just one MORE reason having a second wheel and tire set for a car like this makes SO much sense for daily driving.

Not only does it save these expensive tires for wear when you'll actually enjoy them, but a set of 19s or even 18s can deliver a HUGELY improved ride and open up all sorts of tire possibilities that are infinitely better for road use and one hell of a lot cheaper.

Hi Mike,

I experienced the same tire tracking issue with my 12 on the stock F1 tires. If you are not doing any high performance driving, just add a couple of pounds of extra air pressure in the front tires, and it makes a big difference with the tracking issue.

Thank you for this suggestion. I will give this a try.

Thanks,

Mike

• 1 month later...

UPDATE.....

Yep, it was the damn Goodyear stock tires.....

Went to work yesterday and picked up a nail that could pass for a railroad spike in the rear....about an inch and a half inside the tire, with a looped ring protruding to the outside. Had to pull it. The inflater and goo were useless, flowed right out the hole, so she had to be towed in.....

Went with 275 x 40's on the rear, and 255 x 40's on the front. Toyo Proxes 4 Plus.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! No longer follows every snail track in the road, super nice ride, steers beautifully easy with no pull now.....Love it. And, it is actually trying to hook up now as well....

I am way old school and prefer to have some sidewall. Best decision I made for a long time!!

Mike

UPDATE.....

Yep, it was the damn Goodyear stock tires.....

Knew it would be.

Sorry about the extra expense, but you're gonna be SO much happier. Those damned F-1 G: 2s are phenomenal for about 20% of situations - on a hot summer's day, after about 30 minutes of aggressive driving to get them hot or both - which is when they THEN use them to create published performance specs for the car.

The OTHER 80% of the time, about 80% of the other tires out there will make for a better, easier and more pleasurable car to drive. Toyos are a good choice. But with a decent alternative finally available in OE sizing for the very first time, I'd advise just about anybody to have a set of PS A/S 3s shipped to the dealer and mounted even before taking delivery.

Not to mention, driving the F-1 G: 2s in the cold wear them down in no time. You can almost feel hunks of rubber crumbling off. Just turning to full lock when backing out of a driveway causes a "chunk, chunk, chunk..." as the near-ABS plastic consistency snaps and pops. Best for the overwhelming majority to take them off entirely and keep them for performance use - or to sell them outright to fund a set that actually works well. And given how badly they perform so often, even crappy house brand tires would often feel better.

Are you really running 40s on 20" rears? That makes for a mighty tall back tire!

Knew it would be.

Sorry about the extra expense, but you're gonna be SO much happier. Those damned F-1 G: 2s are phenomenal for about 20% of situations - on a hot summer's day, after about 30 minutes of aggressive driving to get them hot or both - which is when they THEN use them to create published performance specs for the car.

The OTHER 80% of the time, about 80% of the other tires out there will make for a better, easier and more pleasurable car to drive. Toyos are a good choice. But with a decent alternative finally available in OE sizing for the very first time, I'd advise just about anybody to have a set of PS A/S 3s shipped to the dealer and mounted even before taking delivery.

Not to mention, driving the F-1 G: 2s in the cold wear them down in no time. You can almost feel hunks of rubber crumbling off. Just turning to full lock when backing out of a driveway causes a "chunk, chunk, chunk..." as the near-ABS plastic consistency snaps and pops. Best for the overwhelming majority to take them off entirely and keep them for performance use - or to sell them outright to fund a set that actually works well. And given how badly they perform so often, even crappy house brand tires would often feel better.

Are you really running 40s on 20" rears? That makes for a mighty tall back tire!

Yep. Agree all around. Yes, 40's all around. It's about 3/4 inch taller. i love this stance on a muscle car.....

No pics yet, but you can check this thread as it looks identical.......

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/81125-27540s-all-around/

Thanks for all the advice in this thread,

Mike

Archived