TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 GT500 - Pulley & Tune or 2.3 TVS

yell03

I have a 2011 GT500 Vert....

Being a Vert the chances of it hitting the track are minimal.

It is a street car.

I am looking for a nice set-up for the street, either a Pulley and Tune for my stock supercharger or just going with a 2.3 TVS like the 2013s have.

I won't be running DRs, car sits on 285/35/19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s year round, so traction is an issue.

Truth is, I don't street race and never wind it out more than a bit in to 3rd mainly due to not wanting to lose my license or the risk of killing somebody.

Looking for the same power down low as a stock C6 Z06 or 2013 GT500, not worrying about top end power. This car will rarely see above 100mph, looking for a nice 1/8th mile type car.

What would you guys recommend for me?

I know suspension and dual fan heat exchangers might be suggestions, feel free to suggest that also.

550rwhp-650rwhp is what my initial thoughts are and I don't want to break the bank, I will be paying for install as I break more things than I fix when doing it myself.

I've looked at VMP and JDM, both have nice packages, also Evolution is fairly local.

I went with the VMP Tune and Pulley setup. VERY HAPPY and actually get better gas mileage .... it I stay out of it. It was advertised as 60 to 80 RWHP and I believe it. I installed the tune first and it was a nice surprise. A month later I installed the pulley and it became a (bigger) monster. Haven't dyno'ed it but If a stock '11 averages 480 to 500 RWHP and the kit adds 60 to 80 RWHP that would put me between 540 to 580 RWHP and I believe it. :wub2:

I went with pulley and tune first. I enjoyed it for a year or so, then a couple weeks ago I purchased and installed the VMP 2.3 TVS. I already had some supporting mods such as the VMP big elbow, FRPP CJ65mm throttle body and Shelby heat exchanger. The acceleration especially in third and fourth is insane. I had my car dyno'd last weekend and it was putting down 650 rwhp and 633 tq. Drivability is excellent around town and on the highway. If you want to get on it the power is there in spades. I am by no means a drag racer, nor have I tracked my car. I just like knowing I have a good amount of power available to me if I want to have fun, and I've definitely had fun!

Colin

I went with the VMP Tune and Pulley setup. VERY HAPPY and actually get better gas mileage .... it I stay out of it. It was advertised as 60 to 80 RWHP and I believe it. I installed the tune first and it was a nice surprise. A month later I installed the pulley and it became a (bigger) monster. Haven't dyno'ed it but If a stock '11 averages 480 to 500 RWHP and the kit adds 60 to 80 RWHP that would put me between 540 to 580 RWHP and I believe it. :wub2:

It would save me a lot of $$$, definitely the best Bang for the Buck

I went with pulley and tune first. I enjoyed it for a year or so, then a couple weeks ago I purchased and installed the VMP 2.3 TVS. I already had some supporting mods such as the VMP big elbow, FRPP CJ65mm throttle body and Shelby heat exchanger. The acceleration especially in third and fourth is insane. I had my car dyno'd last weekend and it was putting down 650 rwhp and 633 tq. Drivability is excellent around town and on the highway. If you want to get on it the power is there in spades. I am by no means a drag racer, nor have I tracked my car. I just like knowing I have a good amount of power available to me if I want to have fun, and I've definitely had fun!

Colin

It does seem almost everyone with a pulley and tune has eventually (some immediately) swapped to the TVS.

What pulley did you go with on the TVS?

I went with Steeda's 600 HP package; pulley and tune. Dyno after, 522 HP at rear wheels. Good for now.

I'll be the driveability is outstanding.

I am still leaning towards a set-up that makes 600rwhp+....

It's that Napoleonic thing

For my $, I have a GT350, Evolution is the answer because you say they are local to you.

Nothing beats having the work done by professionals who won't try to sell you stuff that you don't need.

Add to that a Jon Lund tune and dyno session, and it was an easy choice for me. One stop shopping, done right.

Best of luck with whatever shop/blower you choose!

For my $, I have a GT350, Evolution is the answer because you say they are local to you.

Nothing beats having the work done by professionals who won't try to sell you stuff that you don't need.

Add to that a Jon Lund tune and dyno session, and it was an easy choice for me. One stop shopping, done right.

Best of luck with whatever shop/blower you choose!

Thanks for the advice, Lund tuned my neighbor's car.

I have a 2012 vert and I just put a TVS with a 2.4 pulley on it with a VMP hi flow elbow. I have a library tune from VMP. Stock fuel, intake, throttle body, and exhaust. Havent got it on the dyno yet, but the car drives great, and has fantastic pull. Highly recommended setup.

So many great ways to go

Installed a VMP 2.5 pulley, 65MM TB and 123 JLT CAI this summer with a VMP tune and had it dynoed last week at 4000 feet elevation at 568 RWHP and 550 Torque. VMP is the best in my experience especially customer service which is not always a given in this industry,....

i did the vmp 2.5 puley, c&l CAI , and vmp tune and dyno'd at 512/520 with pump 91.

A Few months past and I bought a frpp TVS, which I never got around to installing because I picked up a kenne bell.

I'd say try the 2.5 pulley first but just know that if you are the type to get bored quick then you will want more power quick...

like i did...

with the 2.5 pulley, you'll be faster than a lot of cars on the street but you'll regret not having a TVS when a newer shelby or GTR pull up next to you.

i did the vmp 2.5 puley, c&l CAI , and vmp tune and dyno'd at 512/520 with pump 91.

A Few months past and I bought a frpp TVS, which I never got around to installing because I picked up a kenne bell.

I'd say try the 2.5 pulley first but just know that if you are the type to get bored quick then you will want more power quick...

like i did...

with the 2.5 pulley, you'll be faster than a lot of cars on the street but you'll regret not having a TVS when a newer shelby or GTR pull up next to you.

I already bought a TVS off of a 2013 GT500

• 1 month later...

I have a 2012 vert and I just put a TVS with a 2.4 pulley on it with a VMP hi flow elbow. I have a library tune from VMP. Stock fuel, intake, throttle body, and exhaust. Havent got it on the dyno yet, but the car drives great, and has fantastic pull. Highly recommended setup.

I have the identical setup wtih the VMP Dual fan heat exchanger and axle back exhaust. I couldn't be happier and feel if you've got the $ you won't regret buying the TVS. I do also recommend Justin @ VMP's tune and service- the complete kit really is easy to install and the tune is cake to upload as well.

My bad....I see I revived an old post- you already purchased a TVS. Let us know how the install goes and how you're enjoying it!

My neighbor installed the TVS and new Motorcraft 12 plugs (1 step colder than stock 22s, no other changes, took about 2&1/2 hours.

Stock 13 pulley, stock 2011 TB and intake.

I have a Canned Lund Tune through Revan racing

Car made 590rwhp SAE, that same day a stock 2013 GT500 made 568rwhp SAE right after me.

Car runs much better than stock. It is VERY fast.

In warm & sunny 70 degree weather it will hook in 2nd gear from a roll, forget 1st.

In cooler weather 2nd gear will spin at any speed.

Ignore a/f on run 1, the sniffer got pinched.

2011gt500tvsdynosheet001_zps43b8d466.jpg

Archived