TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What are these?

Stangtabang

Hey,

Im new here quick bio, ive owned an '03 mustang gt major upgrades full exhaust system with borla catback, also 8.8 rear housing with 4.10 gears and 31 spline axles.

So my question is, i just bought these carrol shelby rims, can anyone please tell me what they are and what they are worth?

post-41977-0-40735600-1379633599_thumb.jpg

post-41977-0-40735600-1379633599_thumb.jpg

Hey,

Im new here quick bio, ive owned an '03 mustang gt major upgrades full exhaust system with borla catback, also 8.8 rear housing with 4.10 gears and 31 spline axles.

So my question is, i just bought these carrol shelby rims, can anyone please tell me what they are and what they are worth?

Looks like Shelby Europas wheels from the 1980's. If they are actual Shelby wheels and not just a Shelby center cap put on another brand of wheel, there should be something cast into the back of the wheel that says Shelby or CSI.

Steve

Here's a set on ebay you can watch. Currently at $100 bid for wheels and tires (reserve not met). GM bolt pattern however or I would be interested. The gold centers would look great on my '65. What bolt pattern are your wheels? There was a set here in Denver on Craigs list a few months ago for $400 for the wheels only. They were in pretty good shape also. However were also 5 x 4.75", so wrong for a Ford. These wheels are not to uncommon. They made a bunch.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shelby-Europa-15-aluminum-wheels-with-Michelin-Sport-XGT-VR-tires-/271280166490?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Wheel_Packages&hash=item3f298ed65a&vxp=mtr#ht_253wt_1142

Yes i noticed a c.s.i casted in the back.. I assumed Carroll shelby but did not know what the "i" stood for? Inc. , or international maybe

Its still early in the AM here so the ol brain hasn't warmed up completely but the "I" should stand for either International or Industries.

Steve

Here's a set on ebay you can watch. Currently at $100 bid for wheels and tires (reserve not met). GM bolt pattern however or I would be interested. The gold centers would look great on my '65. What bolt pattern are your wheels? There was a set here in Denver on Craigs list a few months ago for $400 for the wheels only. They were in pretty good shape also. However were also 5 x 4.75", so wrong for a Ford. These wheels are not to uncommon. They made a bunch.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shelby-Europa-15-aluminum-wheels-with-Michelin-Sport-XGT-VR-tires-/271280166490?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Wheel_Packages&hash=item3f298ed65a&vxp=mtr#ht_253wt_1142

These wheels were popular on the Chevy Corvair and the Vegas although I'm not sure if those were 5 lug vehicles.

Steve

Its still early in the AM here so the ol brain hasn't warmed up completely but the "I" should stand for either International or Industries.

Steve

I thought the CSI for the wheel company was Carroll Shelby International, Inc. But could be wrong. This wheel was also made in a 4 lug design for SAAB. I've seen some of those but they are marked with SAAB on the back also.

I thought the CSI for the wheel company was Carroll Shelby International, Inc. But could be wrong. This wheel was also made in a 4 lug design for SAAB. I've seen some of those but they are marked with SAAB on the back also.

I believe it is International but with so many companies over the years I also had the Industries name in my head. Carroll first began selling wheels under the name, Shelby-Dowd Industries back in the early to mid 1970's.

Steve

I picked them up for $500.00 with tires that show no noticeable signs of cracking.

The reason i bought these because they look bad ass, compared to mine now.

Currently i have the 2010 Shelby GT500 replicas from AM, which i love and have had for many years but they are replicas and weigh about 50 lbs ea. which i dont like.

So i bought these shelby which i thought were off a old school GT500, which is why i spent soo much.. we tried to put them on my stang and the bolt pattern was soo close that 3 outta 5 of the threads went through the other only needed 1 mm shaven off.

Sounds like they are probably 4 3/4" pattern then which was common for this wheel. I have been somewhat looking for the Ford pattern but have not seen any for sale. I'm not sure if they even made them in a 5 x 4 1/2" pattern.

But yea, sorry, these never came on a Shelby Mustang. These came out years after the last 1970 Shelby came off the line.

I probably should correct myself. I have had 4.5 bolt circle wheels red rilles over the top of the existing holes to convert them effectively to a safe unilig wheel that would easily fit on either 4.5 or 4.75 bolt circle.

I am not sure about the bolt circle on your 03. If it is 4.5, this is a fairly easy conversion by a competent shop. If they are Metric, I am not so sure. Anything can be done if ya want it bad enough, but you need to ensure it is safe.

Many of the early Cragar mags were already drilled this way so one wheel would fit Ford/Mopar (4.5") as well as GM (4.75") bolt circles. You had to use mag shank lug nuts with washers.

Given sufficient thickness in the mounting area, the only difference between the factory placed lug slots and having a shop drill the new pattern over the top of the old, is the fact you will have two circles adjoined in somewhat of a number "8" pattern rather than a true oval slot.

As long as this style wheel was kept tight there was no problem at all. Many guys did have problems due to insufficient torquing of the lugs but that was more of a mechanic issue than a wheel problem.

Sorry for all of the posts, but I keep thinking of things...

I believe your wheels on the 03 are the same as early Ford 4.5", so this is a good possible conversion IF there is enough meat on the back side of that wheel. You will have a machine shop or fabricator redrill the new pattern right over the top of the old (but slightly offset to the inside of the existing GM 4.75 pattern. A normal unilug multi bolt pattern is a clean oval that will accept a shank lug nut in either of the 4.5 or 4.75 bolt circles. What you will have is more of a slight number "8" style pattern, but the wheel will still bolt on either bolt circle.

Dangers... You need to ensure there is enough metal on the back side to safely have them drilled. You need to ensure that the shop understands you will be using shank style lug nuts as were originally used on the wheel. You will need to ensure that the shank lug nuts are not too short (The wheel will not stay centered and will loosen). You need to ensure that the shank lug nuts are not too long (It will appear they are getting tight, but the wheel will still be loose.) You also need to consider how the center of the wheel fits (or not) over the center ridge that factory wheels typically self center on. Many custom wheels do not center this way, but use the lugs to center. Be aware that some people will argue that using the lugs to support the weight of the car and to center the wheel is dangerous as compared to just using the lugs to hold the wheels on. Others will argue that custom wheels and even many factory cars are this way with no issues. Also keep in mind that the lugs need to be tight on aluminum wheels, and need to be re-tightened occasionally. Also be aware that these wheels may have the incorrect diameter and offset to comfortably clear your disc brakes, steering and or fenderwells.

Lots to think about, but it can be done. I sure would not be afraid to do some measuring and close looking to see if they can be used safely. I personally think they could look killer on your car. Consult a good fab shop for advice if you are uncomfortable at all

post-24787-0-69944200-1379716467_thumb.jpg

post-24787-0-56412900-1379716475_thumb.jpg

post-24787-0-63396300-1379716482_thumb.jpg

post-24787-0-69944200-1379716467_thumb.jpg

post-24787-0-56412900-1379716475_thumb.jpg

post-24787-0-63396300-1379716482_thumb.jpg

Thank you redline toys, and everyone.. As much as i would love to see these fuckers on my stang, and as much as i would love to keep them till i had the $$ fix em and throw on tires.. Its not now, i was hoping for a $100 fix but this upgrade is too much for me now.. I returned them and it was sad to see them go. I spoke to my mechanic and said they wont work, so i was depressed alld ay and decided to bring em back..

I picked them up for $500.00 with tires that show no noticeable signs of cracking.

The reason i bought these because they look bad ass, compared to mine now.

Currently i have the 2010 Shelby GT500 replicas from AM, which i love and have had for many years but they are replicas and weigh about 50 lbs ea. which i dont like.

So i bought these shelby which i thought were off a old school GT500, which is why i spent soo much.. we tried to put them on my stang and the bolt pattern was soo close that 3 outta 5 of the threads went through the other only needed 1 mm shaven off.

Sounds like Chevy Bolt Pattern.

Archived