TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ron Howard's "Rush"

I went to the Denver premier of Rush last night. Wow, intense movie. I was sweating at the end due to the intensity. It pretty much has everything from laugh out loud humor, drama, intense racing action, absolute disgusting medical scenes that make you cringe, love story, booby shots, and even a gratuitus butt shot of Chris Hemsworth for the ladies. Absolute must see. Even for the non car/race enthusiasts. One part that blew me away was a back ground radio comment about the Colorado Big Thompson flood of 1976. Wow if that wasn't a bit odd and weird. You have to listen close at that part, but certainly there. That had not much at all to do with the scene and they were in Europe at the time. Must See! I'll be going again for sure as my wife couldn't go last night.

No spoiler here, it was just a scene in the movie where they were showing the main character getting ready for a race. Radio was just playing in the background, so nothing you would normally pay attention to. News was playing and the announcer said something about tragic losses in the Big Thompson Flood in Colorado. Had nothing to do with the scene, but was certainly mind blowing that this was in the movie. Obviously they were just making reference to a current event on that exact day in time of 1976 to add more credence to the movie, but that was certainly spooky with today's events!

Just saw "Rush" in a little theater in Gaziantep, Turkey, about 30 miles north of Syrian border. They stopped the movie right in the middle, during a very important scene, so everyone could go take a smoke break intermission. Other than the Turkish subtitles taking up too much of the screen, this was an awesome film. I could have used more boob scenes, but won't fault Opie for that one.

Going to the Austin IMAX premier on Friday. There will be a Ferrari F1 car (courtesy of Ferrari/Circuit of the Americas), Scaletrix Slot F1 racing, A performance driving school and Free Pizza (wow on the last one!).

James Hunt was the F1 driver I followed when I was a kid in the UK (well after Jackie Stewart Retired).

Just saw "Rush" in a little theater in Gaziantep, Turkey, about 30 miles north of Syrian border. They stopped the movie right in the middle, during a very important scene, so everyone could go take a smoke break intermission. Other than the Turkish subtitles taking up too much of the screen, this was an awesome film. I could have used more boob scenes, but won't fault Opie for that one.

Hey Austin,

Good to hear from you amigo!

Smoke 'em if you got 'em...lol

"fault Opie for that one" :hysterical2: ................that's funny right there.

Mrs. lbj has expressed interest in seeing this film.

We are supposed to go to a matinee today, but she isn't out of bed yet.

I may go lightly rev up my Shelby in the garage, just because, you know?

Hey, there are worse things than waking up to the sound of Borlas.

What an awesome flick! My wife and I saw Rush last night and it was very well done. The camera angles for in car (and helmet) are amazing and a captivating storyline to boot. I think Ron Howard did a great job capturing this epic rivalry between Niki Lauda and James Hunt during one of the most romanticized periods in Formula 1 history. Chris Hemsworth played his roll well, but Daniel Bruhl nailed his part. Prior to seeing the movie I was able to catch a show about the making of the movie and Ron Howard talked about meeting Bruhl for the first time and knowing instantly he was the man to play Lauda. Also was very interesting to know the F1 cars in the film were the actual race cars from the mid 70's on loan from the current owners (of course the crashed cars are replicas).

Go see RUSH as soon as you can. You won't be disappointed!

Great film, we just just got home after seeing it.

I was in college back when these events occured, and remember well those years. I watched a lot of Formula I back then when it was on TV. It sure brought back memories.

The film pretty much offers everything, good character development, racing action, intrigue, drama, it was all there. Like someone else said, more boobs would have been an added bonus.

Mrs. lbj liked it so much, she is currently on her IPAD reading about and researching both drivers, Hunt and Lauda.

Too much popcorn though and the large Coke I drank has me feeling a bit queasy.

My wife and I saw Rush yesterday and thought it was really great! We saw it on a Rave "Extreme Screen", so the screen was really large (like an I-Max screen) and the sound was awesome, especially the racing engines. Definitely worth a few extra bucks if you have the opportunity.

At some points, the movie felt more like a very entertaining documentary, which I thought was really cool. The camera angles, engine sounds, and rare race cars were really cool. Definitely an interesting moment in time for Formula 1 racing that makes me want to learn more about both race car drivers, their relationship, and the racing at that time.

• 1 month later...

I loved that movie. I wonder if Lauda is really that big a jerk though.

I've seen interviews with him and Ron H. This is an area where I believe the movie probably embellished on their rivalry a bit. It seems they were actually closer friends than the enemies that the movie made them out to be. But all is well, it made for an absolutely great story. Ron was on the phone with Lauda constantly through the filming to make sure they he was doing things correctly and accurately.

Archived