TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What do you guys think about this power package?

cormy

LFP Stage 1 SCTX3 Power Package Shelby Mustang GT500

Ebay 390215451838

Seems easy to install even with the possibility of a idler installation with the smaller pulley.

Has anybody installed one of these on their Shelby?

Wondering how a open air filter would effect it?

If you have an 07-09 you should also use the open air intake. The kit you are looking at will probably work fine but I would recommend buying a kit from one of our vendors. Like many here I selected the VMP kit. It comes with everything you need, the instructions are great and most important you can contact them anytime for help if needed. If you want to modify your tune for different tires or gears, or add a different pulley VMP is able to email you an update for your handheld programmer.

BTW, if you have a 2007 you should also change the crankshaft pulley.

Only the 07s had the heavy balancer that was creating serious issues when guys started boosting HP.

Your 08 balancer is an improved design and will work just fine, although a fancy hi-perf one like the Innovators West is always a nice upgrade, but they are pricey ($650).

The VMP pulley kit is one of the best out there, and if you can follow instructions and turn a wrench it is a pretty easy install, just make sure to get their Ultimate puller.

If you know all your mods up front, they can build those right into your base tunes, along with fuel type, octane etc, the tuner can hold up to 3 custom tunes.

If you make some other changes after the fact, you can still go in with the handheld tuner and adjust some parameters to your preferences, like rev limiter, top speed limiter, tire rotation (size), gear ratio, idle speed etc.

You need to be careful on what you do adjust though, especially for items like rpm based or global timing, air fuel ratio, increasing rev limiter etc, always consult your professional Vendor/Tuner before even considering adjusting anything like that.

If you do future upgrades to your car that require tune changes, a new tune can be emailed to you that you can then upload to your SCT tuner, and then into your car.

When you load a custom tune to your car, the stock tune will be downloaded and saved into your handheld SCT tuner as well, so you can always restore it later on if needed.

You can also connect the SCT tuner to your PC or laptop and make a 2nd backup of your factory tune as well, for extra insurance.

If you have an 07-09 you should also use the open air intake. The kit you are looking at will probably work fine but I would recommend buying a kit from one of our vendors. Like many here I selected the VMP kit. It comes with everything you need, the instructions are great and most important you can contact them anytime for help if needed. If you want to modify your tune for different tires or gears, or add a different pulley VMP is able to email you an update for your handheld programmer.

BTW, if you have a 2007 you should also change the crankshaft pulley.

+1 Justin at VMP is excellent to work with. Outstanding customer services and no need to "tweak" anything if you buy the package from VMP. You'll be able to spec 3 Octane levels @ order time and a ready-to-install tune for each of them will come with the tuner.

Another benefit, for any future items you buy from VMP, Justin @ VMP will send you a file to load into your tuner for the new mod combination.

i wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole, but that's just me. first, this package requires a cold-air intake, which is not shown anywhere and not for sale as part of the kit. while you can tune a GT500 with a stock airbox, it makes no sense to do so on a 2007-2009 model year car, because most of the potential gains lie in increased air-intake volume afforded by an open air-filter element. secondly, you have no idea who is going to supply the 'custom tune'. so you'd risk a 35k-55k vehicle on some random, unknown computer file running in the engine control module? i've often found that buying mods for my car because they are cheaper compared to the others on the market just to save a few dollars leaves me pretty unsatisfied in the end. ultimately, i prefer to stay focused on the end goal, which is to increase performance using the best products on the market. if saving is what you want to do, then don't buy anything!

Well I have to say nobody is really positive about this set up. I liked it because of the lower price. Other than the marginal pully tool it seems to be similar to other packages costing more?

You get what you pay for; been there done that "spend 5$ to save 1$"

i have an extra C&L cold-air intake and 2 re-usable filters for sale for $100 +shipping. all you would need is a tune (SCT, DiabloSport, etcetera). even if you buy a pulley from somewhere, all that needs to change is the tune file. so you could buy a pulley anywhere and THEN have it tuned when all the hardware is on the car. and VMP can send you a tune based on the description of your mods alone without actually seeing the car. here is the website for the kit I have... http://www.cnlperformance.com/. i have the intake tube, filter shroud and 2 filters....

Archived