TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Wheels

Well, I finally jumped in and put new wheels on my Shelby. I didn't think I'd go this style direction, but I'm sure glad I did. I think they ended up looking pretty aggressive. They're 20x8.5 and 20.10 ZR Downforce Concave rims with 255 and 285 tires. I think I need to start saving for big brakes....this addiction never ends!!

NewRims1_zps09a7b4f4.jpg

NewRims2_zps68a9f6ae.jpg

I haven't noticed much change yet. I've probably put all of 30 miles on the tires since yesterday, all of it in rush hour, stop and go traffic. I'm taking it to a car show in the morning, so I'll have some highway time tomorrow. I'll let you know how it does after that trip.

Has anyone else switched from 18 to 20 and can comment on the ride and handling/cornering.

It is a huge difference in real world driving from 18's to 20's but after awhile you will get use to it. First impression was the 18's handled much better but now you can't tell at all. Switch to the 20's because more tire gets you more grip which equals better handling

Has anyone else switched from 18 to 20 and can comment on the ride and handling/cornering.

The 20s have a SLIGHT bit "harder" feel, but not night and day. In fact, no more than switching tire brands to a harder compound. The bigger difference is in the lateral grip improvement from having a WIDER tire. I installed 20X9 wheels, and put 255 tires in front, 275 on the rear, and I liked the improvement. The car's handling stayed neutral, it didn't emphasize any extra understeer or oversteer. But on the street and track, the car sticks beautifully.

If you live in an area with potholes, you WILL feel a difference when you hit a big one. And wheel damage is more likely. But the look (and ability to install big brakes) made it worthwhile for me.

Jer

Thank you for the information. I guess it is still difficult for me to determine which I prefer. I like the look of the 18 and the 20's always remind me of the (DONT' GET MAD) the pimp mobile look. I will have to see the two vehicles and wheels together to make a decision. But I was curious about the ride and handling. After all our FRPP suspensions already made the vehicles tight and rough riding (which I prefer). By losing the height and flex of the sidewall I was concerned the ride and handling may suffer.

is 19 inch a practical compromise? Anyone have 19 inch wheels?

Thank you for the information. I guess it is still difficult for me to determine which I prefer. I like the look of the 18 and the 20's always remind me of the (DONT' GET MAD) the pimp mobile look. I will have to see the two vehicles and wheels together to make a decision. But I was curious about the ride and handling. After all our FRPP suspensions already made the vehicles tight and rough riding (which I prefer). By losing the height and flex of the sidewall I was concerned the ride and handling may suffer.

is 19 inch a practical compromise? Anyone have 19 inch wheels?

Not mad at all, everyone has a personal preference. I was a little leary of the 20's myself, I was having a hard time finding any 19's that I liked. Now that I've had it on the road today I can report that the car rides a lot smoother than I thought it would. Today was mostly highway driving, so I can't report on serious handling changes. The style of the rim is going to define just how "pimp mobile" the car ends up looking.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't have to do anything. The new wheels came with new sensors, so the computer had to be "trained" to recognize the new sensors. I'm loving the way these look. I think visually it made the car look like its riding a little higher, but when parked to other Mustangs its still lower.

Recently put the Razor's on my SGT. As far as ride and handling, not much differnce in my case. The ride may be just a tad harsher, but nothing serious. I have always heard that the 18's are for go and the 20's are for show.

9917518745_138281e52f_c.jpg

07SGT2591

Kevin

Kevin,

I just want to meet your detailer. Wow. Your car looks amazing.

Jer

Thanks Man! I truly appreciate it!

I do all the detailing myself! My youngest son, who has told everybody it is his when he can drive, helps out also.

The new wheels just make it POP! As my kids say ... Its got Bling Bling now! LOL!

Kevin

07SGT2591

Archived