TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Building of the Shelby GT

David Hawkins

I was at a Car Show this past Saturday and chatting with a guy who has a White Shelby GT, he said that it was Prisoners that built the S-GT's. He said they were bussed in everyday to build them. I thought that it was SAI Employee's that built them, not Prisoners. I know Shelby had Prisoners producing the Cobra Bodies but did he also have Prisoners build the S-GT's?

I was at a Car Show this past Saturday and chatting with a guy who has a White Shelby GT, he said that it was Prisoners that built the S-GT's. He said they were bussed in everyday to build them. I thought that it was SAI Employee's that built them, not Prisoners. I know Shelby had Prisoners producing the Cobra Bodies but did he also have Prisoners build the S-GT's?

^ False.

When will Shelby Performance Parts have Shelby license plates in stock???

Bob,

Which ones are you looking for?

(BTW, try to post questions like this where I can easily find them! LOL)

Jer

Bob, Which ones are you looking for? (BTW, try to post questions like this where I can easily find them! LOL) Jer

Jer! That was a joke!! (prisoners...license plates...)...

There is some truth in there. The prison had an automotive program to teach prisoners a trade while incarcerated and SAI did put some of these "prisoners" to work upon their release but exactly in which part of SAI I'm not sure. Its not like they were wearing striped jumpsuits with leg chains.

I'm sure other SAI workers knew who they were just by talking with them but company policy was not to disclose to others who they were. I suppose some of these "workers" could have been on some sort of prison day release program but I don't recall ever hearing of that.

I can tell you that no prison buses showed up with a shotgun toting guard delivering forced labor to SAI.

Steve

Jer! That was a joke!! (prisoners...license plates...)...

Ahhhhh....gotcha.....

Jer

Archived