TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Billet Watts Link

klastinger

I just ordered the Shelby Billet Watts Link and looking for some installation information for those who have installed the Shelby Watts Link. Will the system fit with the factory finned differential cover on the 2012 GT500? I know some talk of using the KR cover, but I don't know what that looks like, so I have no comparison to the stock cover.

I have a Steeda differential cover, which is basically the factory finned cover with drain and fill plugs installed. If I need to trim the fins it will be much easier to do before the installing the cover then it will be do once it is on the car.

Any information or suggestions will be appreciated. If you have pictures that would even be better.

Steeda Differential Cover.jpg

I just ordered the Shelby Billet Watts Link and looking for some installation information for those who have installed the Shelby Watts Link. Will the system fit with the factory finned differential cover on the 2012 GT500? I know some talk of using the KR cover, but I don't know what that looks like, so I have no comparison to the stock cover.

I have a Steeda differential cover, which is basically the factory finned cover with drain and fill plugs installed. If I need to trim the fins it will be much easier to do before the installing the cover then it will be do once it is on the car.

Any information or suggestions will be appreciated. If you have pictures that would even be better.

attachicon.gifSteeda Differential Cover.jpg

That Steeda looks like it might be a modified Explorer cover, or an older GT500 stock unit.

We have some GT500KR diff covers, call in your order, they clear Watts links for sure (it's on my car).

Jer

• I know for a fact that the watts link fits perfect with the billet cover. I added one of those to my car. Love it. not sure about the billet one though would assume dimensions are similar

Yup.

That's my current setup.

Jer

Klastinger --

I have the Shelby Billet Fays Watts Link installed on my 13 GT500. I went to the Fays Watts Link site to get some additional information when I installed mine. Also, Jim Fays will be happy to help (his number is on the web site). The best advice I can give you is don't get in a rush and take your time. I had to adjust mine a couple times to get it "right" and it is time consuming tightening everything up. But, when it is all set and tightened, it works exactly as publicized and definitely works as advertised. I have 315x35/20 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on widened 11.5" Alocas without any room for side-to-side movement, and this set up was the one I needed to eliminate any side-to-side movement.

Jim

Klastinger,

Curious how your install is going

Any details would be appreciated

Mine is still setting on the work bench intimidating me a bit

Thanks

Larry

Larry,

Call me if you need any help before, during, or after your install. I'm happy to help.

Jer

Larry,

Call me if you need any help before, during, or after your install. I'm happy to help.

Jer

Thanks Jer

Given you are removing my excuses, it may finally get installed

As I get close I will call prior to starting

Larry

Thanks Jer

Given you are removing my excuses, it may finally get installed

As I get close I will call prior to starting

Larry

I can give you some good tips on the installation, so, yes, call first!

Jer

[

Klastinger,

Curious how your install is going

Any details would be appreciated

Mine is still setting on the work bench intimidating me a bit

Thanks

Larry

For either Klastinger or Lgs ShelbyGT, I just got mine finished. Had a thread asking for some help and got it from various places here and through Jim Fays. Jim was very good about answering emails and we got down to few discussions at the end.

It is awesome with just general driving I have done today. Detroit area has some tough roads and they seem better without the panhard trying to push body around when either side of the road is broken up.

I was intimidated and after getting some outrageous approximate quotes took it on in the garage. At times I really wonder why I chose the route I took of doing by myself with car on home built stands getting me 6" of lift. Pictures I am attaching show my stands and the primary pieces needed to get it done. You will see an 18" piece of 1/2" galvanized pipe that became my savior to keep the axle bracket fixed as I torqued the mounting brackets.

Do it again if I should ever get another Mustang still with a panhard bar. Certainly but, I would find a way to get the recommended drive on hoist.

DrKSGT

driver.jpg

driver.jpg

I am hoping to get installed this weekend. It is all ready to go. Changed my differential fluid and put the new cover on. Have the panhard and brace off. Now to get the Watts Link system installed. I take pictures as I do the install and post.

I am hoping to get installed this weekend. It is all ready to go. Changed my differential fluid and put the new cover on. Have the panhard and brace off. Now to get the Watts Link system installed. I take pictures as I do the install and post.

Call me before then, if you get a second. I can usually save some potential headaches with a few tips.

Jer

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the system installed with excellent suggestions from several forum members and Jer. After all adjustments I am about 1/16 of an inch off from one side to the other, but that it as good as I can get it.

It is a little tedious, but a ratchet strap and digital angle gauge is very important tools to have.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Now go out and drive that bad boy hard in and out of a corner to feel the difference. I had a stupid grin on my face after my first drive with the aluminum watts link.

Drove my car to a local car show today, and I have to say that the Watts link definitely makes a difference in how the car handles. Feels solid as a rock, and what a feeling when taking a nice hard corner.

Took Best of my class too, which was just an added bonus to the drive there and back.

Archived