TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why so many miles?

blk12svt

I ordered my car and it was finally delivered to the dealer on Sept 3rd. It sat in a secure spot in the dealers garage until I could take delivery on the 5th. I had previously not started it up but noticed it had 26 miles on it when I got in it and drove away. Is this normal or did the truck transport driver take it for a ride somewhere along the way... I figured it would have 5-8 miles on it but 26??

The factory does test some cars off the line but they always put some sort of decal on the car noting that. If I had to guess sounds like someone at the dealership used the car for running some errands. If it was me I would tell the dealership that you want to see the paperwork from the transporter that delivered your car to the dealership, if that paperwork shows a much lower mileage then your dealership has some explaining to do.

Steve

I ordered my car and it was finally delivered to the dealer on Sept 3rd. It sat in a secure spot in the dealers garage until I could take delivery on the 5th. I had previously not started it up but noticed it had 26 miles on it when I got in it and drove away. Is this normal or did the truck transport driver take it for a ride somewhere along the way... I figured it would have 5-8 miles on it but 26??

I am guessing that someone took it to the track and beat the crap out of it and followed up with a couple of burn out contests. (Just kidding) My 2012 had 20 miles on it when I took delivery. No evidence of abuse and no problems. Look at the tires. They will tell the story.

My Shelby had 24 miles on it when I got home from overseas. But the dealer drove it to my house from the dealership and that added 19 miles to the odometer. So it arrived at the dealer with 5 miles.

Mine had 13 miles, and the notice it had been selected for additional quality control inspection. Frankly, I was kind of happy it was. Ford isn't going to do anything crazy in your car. They do a fairly easy drive on it. They aren't doing durability testing or how your car takes a turn at 100 mph in second gear.

All they do on customer vehicles is make sure they are put together correctly, and that you car operates the way it should.

As a follow up to this topic, I was at the dealer the other day and brought the mileage thing up. I was told when new Shelbys come in it's routine to "calibrate the blower" before delivery to the customer. Is this BS or true. The salesman also chimed in he took it for a short drive too. I guess that's okay since he's my shirt-tail cousin and was instrumental in getting me a good deal, but calibrating the blower???

These cars have no boost calibration dialed in until 12 miles or so. This is done so during transport etc the car will make no boost thus eliminating joyrides. Usually it's left to the customer to drive it lol. At about the 12 mile mark the CPU let's the engine build boost. It's like someone flipped a switch. True story

Mine had 13 miles, and the notice it had been selected for additional quality control inspection. Frankly, I was kind of happy it was. Ford isn't going to do anything crazy in your car. They do a fairly easy drive on it. They aren't doing durability testing or how your car takes a turn at 100 mph in second gear.

All they do on customer vehicles is make sure they are put together correctly, and that you car operates the way it should.

I'd agree with that. extra QC is a good thing.

A little more than a year ago, i think it was DBK over on svtperformance forums who posted an aerial shot of the lot near the plant where GT500s were parked. don't know if that's 'Area 51' or not, but it was an outdoor lot and on the pavement you could see God-knows-how-many 1/2 - 3/4 donuts. actually kind of funny.

Did it still have the "lot tune"? It stays in there until it's been driven 5 consecutive miles or 50 start on/off cycles. Mine had 5 miles on the odometer and was sitting inside the dealer showroom floor when I bought it. It was originally ordered by another customer who later backed out of the deal.

I had forgotten some paper work at my house and needed to get it for the trade in. When I went to pick it up the dealer said, "Take the Shelby, it's yours now." So I drove my new Shelby to the house to get it. I live about 5 miles from the dealership and the lot tune was still on the car. I knew about the tune but still was expecting more performance (LOL). Since the last mile or so is through my subdivision I didn't get a chance to really lay into it. However on my way back as soon as I turned on to the main highway and hammered the throttle it felt like a Saturn Moon Rocket with another 300 or so hp, WOW!

No, my car still had the factory restriction. It's a two mile drive out of the neighborhood alone, and it kicked in a few miles later.

There are a few things Ford should be slightly ashamed of over the years, but damn, are they making a slew of fun rides for us these days or what? I just love it!

Archived